Thread: Blemished Eastmans from Mandolin Store

Default Blemished Eastmans from Mandolin Store

The Mandolin Store is offering blemished Eastmans at reduced prices. Has anyone purchased a blemished instrument from the Mandolin Store (or anywhere else, for that matter)? If so, how noticeable/extensive was the blemish, and how satisfied were you with the instrument? Thanks!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Blemished Eastmans from Mandolin Store

Quote Originally Posted by babeaver View Post
    The Mandolin Store is offering blemished Eastmans at reduced prices. Has anyone purchased a blemished instrument from the Mandolin Store (or anywhere else, for that matter)? If so, how noticeable/extensive was the blemish, and how satisfied were you with the instrument? Thanks!
    Eastman blems are usually cosmetic only and generally difficult to even notice...those are good deals from TMS, with reviews consistently good!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Another important point - you can call the folk at TMS and request a description of the blemish on the particular instrument you are considering, as well as other information that may help you make a decision. That would be my program if I were in your shoes. The folk there have a good reputation for their products and service, pre- and post-sale.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I emailed the folks at the Mandolin Store, and they characterized the blemishes as very minor, but were unable to provide specific photos. Since I haven't tried this route before, I thought I'd toss it out there to the community and see what other folks' experience has been. I appreciate the input!

Someone here recently purchased a Loar blem from them and posted about it - they were very happy with it and with the experience with the folks at the Mandolin Store in general.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

That's strange that they won't provide pictures of the blemish. Even sellers on eBay know that they're limiting potential buyers if they don't provide good descriptions and pictures of any problem areas. I know the mandolin store has a good reputation but I'm not buying any blem model sight unseen.

Well, it looks like my hesitation cost me - the model I was considering has sold out. I should point out that although they couldn't provide specific pics, they did offer an evaluation period with a no-questions-asked return policy.

Here is a great Zen question. If you buy a blem instrument, and you can't find the blem, does it actually exist?

As we ponder that, we can all take a break from wondering if a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear makes any sound.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Beginner

I just got my Eastman 605 yesterday from The Mandolin Store - looking for the blem, I THINK I found it after about 15 minutes of looking. It looks like when the top was sanded, the "string side" edge of the f-hole was sanded through the stain, just right at the top edge of the body (except that probably isn't how the finishing process goes, but that is what it looks like). You can't even see it unless you turn the mandolin to look at the edges of the f-hole.

I have to say, this thing is BEAUTIFUL, particularly for $599.00. The spruce top has a really nice figure. I also have an older Eastman 604 (oval hole) and they've changed where the body meet the fretboard (on my oval it is the 10th fret, on the new one it is the 12th fret) and the fretboard on the f-hole is further off the body - I could use a strap that is meant to loop around there.

The tone is much louder than the oval hole (well, the oval has Thomastik flat wounds on it, too) and it has a woody/sweet sound. Very pleased with the purchase. The setup was very good, too, it was nicely playable right out of the box.
    Last edited by LillianBelle; Apr-16-2016 at 8:13am. Reason: fixed typo -10th fret not 20th, lol

CHA CHING! The sound of old tonewood trees falling.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

The definition of a blem really varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Generally speaking any finish defect, no matter how minor or subtle, on the front of the instrument will cause any decent manufacturer's QC person to declare an instrument a blem. Finish defects on the back vary more in terms of blem threshold.

As long as the manufacturer is still offering the warranty on the instrument you can be certain that the blem is finish related and not structural or functional. Most companies will not sell structural or functional blems but when they do it is at a much steeper discount and sans warranty. I bought an $1800 Alvarez acoustic guitar for $200 because the truss rod was slightly short and could not be got too with a standard adjustment tool.

Beginner

When I called last Monday to chat about the instrument, they told me the blemish was finish only and very minor. The gloss finish on the instrument makes the blemish look like a light reflection more than a mistake. I tried to take a pic to post and show "all ya'll" , but in every pic it looks like a reflection, not an issue.

While I was watching ebay, another store (blueangel-something) also had a bunch of blemish Eastmans - they posted pictures and the blemished areas were all on the neck about midway, right where the neck meets the fretboard. At a glance it looked like a sloppy tape job when the nitro was sprayed which left ragged edges to the nitro when the tape came off, but it also could have been a fretboard/neck joint issue and I wasn't going to go for that.

But The Mandolin Store assured me that their lot of instruments were cosmetic finish blems only and very minor at that. Once I don't have "new mandolin syndrome" and get heavier-handed with a pick, it will look pretty much exactly like some of the light "distressing" that people pay for on other mandolins.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I've bought a few guitars with blemishes all plated great. And you couldn't hardly find any except for one of the guitars. I have only bought one mandolin with a blemish and it was in the finish could hardly see it , but i did end up wearing the finish off where the blemish was, so you can see bare wood but it never bother me or the way it plays
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Beginner

The funny thing is that I still have an active bid on an Eastman 615 (f-body f-hole) on ebay and I really debated myself over buying this mandolin while I have an active bid that I could - theoretically - win. But I suspect I will be outbid at the last moment on ebay and then I would have lost the opportunity to get EITHER mandolin. So: now I have a lovely a-body f-hole and I MIGHT also have my first f body. At which point I, a very mediocre mandolinist, would have 5 mandolins, which is about 3 more than I probably need.

Would I be tempted to get rid of one or two? Mmmmm .... no.

There was the Story of the Guy who, Owned a Cadillac dealership,

First things he did with that New Caddy that was His, at Home,

was ...

Pour a Stiff drink then put a Dent in it with a Hammer, just to get it over with,..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

16. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I bought an Eastman blem from TMS. I could not find the blem.

Bernunzio had a bunch of "B stock" Eastman 300-series a while ago. Blemishes were negligible, and they were great bargains.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've seen instruments sold as ''shop soiled'' simply because they've accumulated a lot of dust & nothing more. I those cases,the stores just want to 'move 'em on out' to make room for the next set of 'wall hangers',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.