Thread: 1940 Epiphone Century

Default 1940 Epiphone Century

This was an impulse purchase undertaken mainly because I knew I'd never find another one in this condition. The seller described it as a 1960s Epiphone Venetian, but one look and I knew it was a pre-Gibson instrument. In fact, the serial dates from the turn of 1939/1940, making it one of the first Century mandolins built. I've owned a couple of post-War Epi Zephyr mandolins, but this Century has a nicer tone and better playability.

The neck does have a little bow, but not so much that you actually notice while playing. Mostly it manifests itself as a kickup where the fretboard meets the body, but the frets are tall enough that a little dressing should take care of it. The profile is nice and chunky. The brace running under the bridge (and across the f-holes) has come loose, something I will have fixed, but it's not buzzing and I don't see any appreciable sinkage of the top. The only replacement parts I see are the screws holding on the back panel; everything else, including all the electrical components, is original. The tuners are new to me, though - I think they're Grovers, but I have never seen them with a floral pattern stamped into the plate. It's somewhat unusual to see an old Epiphone with all the plastic parts intact.

What really impresses me is the string balance. The E strings are a tad weak, but compared to every other pre-War electric mandolin I've played, it's close to perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	144995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	144996 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	144997 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	144998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	144999
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

2. The following members say thank you to nmiller for this post:

Default Re: 1940 Epiphone Century

Very nice - thanks for posting! This is indeed an early one - the f-holes are still positioned "high" on the body as with all early Epiphone electrics (position moved level with the bridge around 1940). The tuners appear to be Waverlys - these were also used on other Epiphone mandolins in different versions: some engraved, some with metal buttons, on the Windsor in gold.

Felix
    '23 A2-Z / '31 Adelphi / '32 F2 / '02 F5 Sam Bush
    Visit NY Epi Reg – The Unofficial New York Epiphone Registry

Thanks for the info, Felix! I thought something was different about that pic from the 1941 catalog, but I couldn't put my finger on it; I never would have thought to check out the f-holes. From the few pictures I can find, it looks like they stopped putting the top brace across the f-holes about the same time.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

And it came in AC DC for fans of Thomas Edison.Plenty of working room with the large access panel.

What a cool mandolin. I love those old electrics.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    From the few pictures I can find, it looks like they stopped putting the top brace across the f-holes about the same time.
    Correct!
    Felix
    '23 A2-Z / '31 Adelphi / '32 F2 / '02 F5 Sam Bush
    Visit NY Epi Reg – The Unofficial New York Epiphone Registry