Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Electronic Music - It Has No Soul?

Default Re: Electronic Music - It Has No Soul?

Two things. I am a professional trumpet player who plays in many church settings. Playing with a digital organ is physically tiring to me because the notes are digitally perfect, not acoustically correct.

If you can, find a recording by Zoe Keating. She performs on Cello and accompanies herself with tape loops

I disagree on the soul part. Most electronic instruments have a soul knob. You can increase the amount of soul by turning the knob closer to '0'. There's also an instant soul button, usually found on the back of the amp.

If you walk into a music store with some guy wailing on his electric guitar, drowning out everything else, do him a favor and show him the soul setting. I've done it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Two things. I am a professional trumpet player who plays in many church settings. Playing with a digital organ is physically tiring to me because the notes are digitally perfect, not acoustically correct.

If you can, find a recording by Zoe Keating. She performs on Cello and accompanies herself with tape loops
    Zoe is great, as well as Dana Leong and other sampling, looping cellists. They're everywhere now! As far as the organ goes, it's lacking the proper software and sampling codes, then. With the right programming, it's easy to get all the semi-tones and overtones which round out a "perfect" tone. You're right in that you need a degree of imperfection, and current sampling techniques make this really easy to achieve. As strange as this sounds, the organs need better programming to sound natural. You'll never get that blast of rubbing air from the low pipes when you're standing too close, but sonically, they can be just about perfect.

As far as Bertram's comment goes, all those weird guitar-shaped things that Futureman has, or keyboards, are exactly the same as the big mainframe computers from the '60's. They just look a little more...modern. It's all 1'a and 0's.

I think we have to draw a fairly "bright line" between "electronic music," which I guess means music written for and played entirely on digital devices, almost invariably instrumental, and often complicated and (to many) inaccessible, and music that utilizes electronic instruments -- synthesized keyboards, rhythm boxes, processed acoustic sounds, etc. -- but retains connection and expressiveness -- "soul," if you will. It's the type of music we're arguing, not the tools used to play it.

For the past three years, I've booked local Bosnian/American singer-songwriter Fatima Razic at a local festival I work with, and the past two years she has done a set of "looping," building songs out of a series of "mouth percussion" sounds, vocal harmonies, and lead vocals, working with just electric keyboard and a looping pedal. What Fatima does would be impossible without the electronic/digital "gimmickry," but I can't say it doesn't have connection and expressiveness. You guys be the judges:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Vangelis' electronic soundtrack work on Chariots of Fire, Blade Runner, and others are good examples of more soulful/emotional electronic pieces in my opinion. Just spent the weekend watching the original Blade Runner and the sequel.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

it's as variable as bluegrass.

Personally, I love certain DJ mixes! Maybe already mentioned, "Thievery Corporation," "Everything but the Girl," "Lemon Jelly," "Nick Warren," "Demitri in Paris," etc. all appeal to me. Many others too!

Garage band projects don't appeal to me. I really don't want to spend my time doing that! In my personal life, I invest in learning acoustic music. That said, driving around, I listen to all sorts of stuff!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A