Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fret Board Conditioner

Default Re: Fret Board Conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I use Howard's Butcher Block conditioner that came with my cutting block. Would that work for the fret board?
    Not sure what's best for fingerboards, but Howard's did a fine job on my salad bowls. (The outsides. The insides are constantly being soaked in salad dressing and that seems to keep them looking good) I think i'll give it a try on some instrument fretboards. I don't see that a bit of wax added to the mineral oil would do any harm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7429.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	144446
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Am I missing something here? In the last 50 years, I don't recall ever daubing anything on any of my mandolins or guitars to "condition" the fingerboards and none of them appear to have suffered as a consequence. All I can assume is that everyone is worrying about a problem which may not exist or the natural oils from my left hand fingers has done all that is necessary.

I agree that instruments that are played regularly have the benefit of the oils from your fingers keeping the fretboard looking pretty nice. Especially if your hands are clean and there's not too much gunk accumulating.
    If you deal with a lot of old used Instruments in need of restoration, you'll frequently find fretboards that are dry sometimes cracked and very dull or dirty. I've even restored some cheap instruments with fretboards made of inferior woods that almost crumble when you start working with them, as if they suffer from a dry rot. In those cases I don't think any conditioner would help, better to just replace the fretboard with a decent Ebony or rosewood board. And that will substantially strengthen the neck as well if it's made of low-quality mahogany.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Would work great for me, I butcher about anything on my fretboard
    that's hilarious Mandoplumb!