Thread: ISO advice on pedals, chains, and boards

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Default ISO advice on pedals, chains, and boards

Stealie has been a blast through the new Laney 10w tube amp. It's time for effects. The budget doesn't allow for a lot of boutique pedals, and I prefer the simplicity of individual boxes instead of digital MFX boards. I'm interested in your wisdom on the following, mostly modestly-price effects.

Boss TU3 (tuner)-->EXH LPD1 (boost)-->Behringer DD400 (delay)-->Boss DS1 (overdrive)-->Neunaber WET stereo reverb (pricey, but awesome!!)--> Boss RC 1 or RC 3 (looper).

I figure the phaser/chorus/compression toys can wait, or I can add them to the second knob features to the Neunaber. :-)

I'm also a bit curious about the chain. Some say that the looper must be last while others say that the reverb (esp. w/a buffered bypass) should end the chain. Your thoughts?

Also, I'm wondering about the need for a noise suppressor with this chain; at what point does it really become important?

Finally, what should I be looking for as far as the features in a pedal board?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Default Re: ISO advice on pedals, chains, and boards

Most of the pedal order info on the net is for electric guitar.

Looper last or reverb?

I use the loop pedal last, but it shouldn't make a lot of difference if you record the reverb along with the loop, or if the playback of the loop goes into the reverb. You might test it to see if the order makes a difference that you can hear and if you prefer the tone of one setup more than the other. There may be little audible difference.

Noise gates shouldn't be needed on a mandolin rig, unless you are playing a solid body electric mandolin w/ a magnetic pickup and are using a high-gain amp setting and thus picking up and amplifying some noise.

"Boss TU3 (tuner)-->EXH LPD1 (boost)-->Behringer DD400 (delay)-->Boss DS1 (overdrive)-->Neunaber WET stereo reverb (pricey, but awesome!!)--> Boss RC 1 or RC 3 (looper)."

I would put the overdrive BEFORE the delay, but that's my preference in terms of tone color.

3. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Noise gates shouldn't be needed on a mandolin rig, unless you are playing a solid body electric mandolin w/ a magnetic pickup and are using a high-gain amp setting and thus picking up and amplifying some noise.

I would put the overdrive BEFORE the delay, but that's my preference in terms of tone color.
    Thanks David. FYI, Stealie is a solid body, with an Almuse humbucker, and go figure that I prefer the hi gain input on the Laney. I'll keep my ears open for the need of the noise gate.
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Thanks David. FYI, Stealie is a solid body, with an Almuse humbucker, and go figure that I prefer the hi gain input on the Laney. I'll keep my ears open for the need of the noise gate.
    Wow, are you planning on playing Black Sabbath on mandolin with that Laney (lol)?

You may well wish to add a noise gate. Cheers.

multi EFX pedal array may be a broad sample to try, rather than buying a Bunch of separate EFX Boxes and wall warts
    or 9v batteries by the dozen.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Wow, are you planning on playing Black Sabbath on mandolin with that Laney (lol)?

You may well wish to add a noise gate. Cheers.
    More like some Dead and other classic Rock and Roll. The noise gate is on the list of possibilities. :-)

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    multi EFX pedal array may be a broad sample to try, rather than buying a Bunch of separate EFX Boxes and wall warts
    I was thinking that the individual boxes are more idiot-proof than the multi-efx arrays, and at this point I really like idiot-proof. Do you think the mfx arrays sound good as a basic pedal?

I was thinking that the individual boxes are more idiot-proof than the multi-efx arrays, and at this point I really like idiot-proof. Do you think the mfx arrays sound good as a basic pedal?
    It depends. Most multiFX come with a lot of factory presets and generally those are over processed - good for bedroom players but not useable on gigs. You have to reprogram them to sound good.

My PAS went to unanticipated territory. At this point, the chain is:

Boss TU-2-->DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 ri-->Behringer Compressor Sustainer CS100-->Berhinger Chorus Orchestra CO600-->tc electronic Flashback delay/looper

The Behringer pedals were cheap from CL and will be traded in as I replace them with upgrades. They were perfect intros to help me figure out that I actually want their features in the chain. I'm pretty much decided that the MXR Analog Chorus is the next step followed by a ModTone Lemon Ssqueeze Compressor Sustainer or the Electro Harmonix Soul Preacher.

Hi Dave,

I run a Schwab 5-string through a pedal board. Before you "pull the trigger" on the ModTone, consider a Diamond compressor. In addition to a light or heavy squeeze, something magical happens with the mando signal through this box. Perhaps a little extra sparkle or clarity? The tilt EQ is also very useful and musical. It is also dead quiet, which I especially like. Give it a look.
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

13. The following members say thank you to Travis Wilson for this post:

So, here's the update. Boss TU2-->DOD Preamp Overdrive 250 ri--> Ross 5 knob byoc compressor-sustain-->MXR Analog Chorus--> tc electronic Flashback delay-looper.

David Brown, on a whim I went into the low impedance input, and am actually much happier.

Travis, thanks for the info. I'll keep that one in mind for future needs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feb 11final rig.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	143584

Very nice board, Dave.

Have you tried the compressor before the dirt box? It may make no difference at all, but it may also reduce your baseline noise level if those two pedals are always on.

Understanding gear acquision syndrome is very real, and you are now powerless... when will you add the fuzz, phaser and reverb pedals?
    Thanks,
    Travis

2006 Weber Gallatin, 1984 Flatiron 2MW, Wendler #194, Schwab #177

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Wilson View Post
    Have you tried the compressor before the dirt box? It may make no difference at all, but it may also reduce your baseline noise level if those two pedals are always on.
    Hey Travis-
    If I've learned anything so far is that asking 3 folks about pedal order is a guaranteed way to hear 5 opinions. ;-) That said, I plan on playing around with them for a bit. The issue about gear acquisition is real, but fortunately (?) I have an inoculation plan: a friend is throwing me his last-gen Line 6 Amplifi board as a "forever loan." While fuzz and phase aren't my thing, I'm looking forward to playing with some reverb, wah, and some other effects. :-)

What is REALLY scary is finding out that the Fishman AFX Chorus pedal puts the Loudbox's awesome-sounding effects on the floor for use with any amp. The last thing I need to do is start a new board for the Rigel. ;-)

Update for the gearheads: The Boss tuner is currently off board...but a new board is being built for the needed real estate. At this point I think the next addition will be an envelope filter. While at home I split the chain; Ross and DOD at the front of the signal; the rest thru the effects loop of the LX65R with a stereo signal to the Cub 10. It really sounds pretty awesome. Then again, Stealie straight into the amp also sounds awesome, so I guess I am just a lucky/happy guy!

Name:	27 March 2016 split Stereo and FX loop.jpg 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	145294

Next Bump is divided pickups, 1 signal per string, and a Pitch to MIDI Guitar Synth, Like Roland's .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Hey Travis-
    If I've learned anything so far is that asking 3 folks about pedal order is a guaranteed way to hear 5 opinions.
    Wow isn't that the truth.

I read a lot of the internet blogs about this and it does nothing to help me but fill my head with equal and opposite arguments for any given decision. Seriously, its nuts. And on some of the less well moderated boards folks go all out screaming for their own point of view.

I am walking one step at a time, confident in the knowledge that I will change my mind more than a few times.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I wrestled with this. My thinking was the multi effects boxes would be great to learn all the cool stuff that was possible, and to figure out how I wanted to sound for this or that, and how to get there. But once learned, I would likely only switch between two or three of the choices, and the other 354153 choices would be a waste of capability.

What I ended up doing is none of the above. I got a modeling amp to learn on, and explore. Then, once I kind of new what and where, I got a straight amp and some single effects pedals to do it.

My journey is still pretty much at the beginning. I haven't even left the Shire. I frequently go back to the modeling amp and try and figure out how to sound like something I just heard. And I have kept my pedal purchases under control, until I really know what I want.

The entire staff
    funny....

Next Bump is divided pickups, 1 signal per string, and a Pitch to MIDI Guitar Synth, Like Roland's .
    LOL Sure; each string could be voiced for a different family of instruments: brass, woodwind...then again, maybe not. And if I REALLY want MIDI at some future point, Stealie would go back to Andrew Jerman for the retrofit. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Wow isn't that the truth.

I read a lot of the internet blogs about this and it does nothing to help me but fill my head with equal and opposite arguments for any given decision. Seriously, its nuts. And on some of the less well moderated boards folks go all out screaming for their own point of view.

I am walking one step at a time, confident in the knowledge that I will change my mind more than a few times.
    I find that The Gear Page is usually a pretty good forum for informed discussion for effects. I totally appreciate your approach about one step at a time. I'm lucky that I have a bandmate who let's me play with some of his gear as I'm trying to figure it out. It helps to keep the descent down the rabbit hole from causing too much domestic upset. ;-) I've been fortunate to find some decent used stuff at local brick-and mortar stores and through Craig's List, or on sale new. This is all hobbyist stuff for me, so I don't feel the need to spend a couple hundred dollars or more for the boutique or super-high end stuff. Have fun!

Update for the gearheads: The Boss tuner is currently off board...but a new board is being built for the needed real estate. At this point I think the next addition will be an envelope filter. While at home I split the chain; Ross and DOD at the front of the signal; the rest thru the effects loop of the LX65R with a stereo signal to the Cub 10. It really sounds pretty awesome. Then again, Stealie straight into the amp also sounds awesome, so I guess I am just a lucky/happy guy!

Name:	27 March 2016 split Stereo and FX loop.jpg 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	145294
    Dave,
    I'd be careful with those two straight plugs from the chorus to the reverb that don't quite line up, you're stressing those joints. Better to make at least one of them a cable.

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Dave,
    I'd be careful with those two straight plugs from the chorus to the reverb that don't quite line up, you're stressing those joints. Better to make at least one of them a cable.
    Already done, Jeff. Actually have all the pedals off board now while a new board is being built so I can have my TU2 at the front of the chain. 6 pedals is more than the board can handle. #7 will be on the way soon; an older DOD FX25B envelope filter will be in front of the compressor.

Blog Entries

so I don't feel the need to spend a couple hundred dollars or more for the boutique or super-high end stuff. Have fun!

I recently saw this “Just because it’s boutique, won’t guarantee that it has the tone you seek. Just that you’ll be boo-roke!”

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: