Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

Default Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

Has anyone else seen one of these or know anything about them?
    Here are the pics that were posted to the Northfield Facebook page yesterday (1/20/16);
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12486050_1011592165574336_3828100552345469958_o.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	142943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12615423_1011592158907670_2514799844049230789_o.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	142942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12628522_1011592098907676_1729046811584501279_o.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	142941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10258205_1011592092241010_1548829211338407991_o.jpg 
Views:	1190 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	142944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12489181_1011592095574343_3686137927751015824_o.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	142945
    Notable instruments owned at various points; Gibson 1996 F-5L, Gibson F-2, Cushman Fern, Eastman 914, Washburn M118SW, Epiphone MM-30S, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Taylor SCCSM...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Northfield Mandolins "Deluxe Airloom" fiberglass Cases

My first thought is that I don't think Pegasus have anything to worry about....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

garded

looks nice, would love to see one in the "flesh" and check it close. Nice big storage compartment and looks like they got rid of the huge block in the lid which is + in my book. Hope the padding is softer. Didn't see any price or spec's like weight. Looking fwd to a review.

5. The following members say thank you to TonyP for this post:

A buddy said $350. Resembles a Presto.

7. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

If you like this style of case, check out Hiscox cases (NFI). They are another rectangular case with lots of storage. Very rigid and well made. If AllanN is right about the price, Hiscox is cheaper, too.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    My first thought is that I don't think Pegasus have anything to worry about....
    Since these are two completely different case styles, I am sure Pegasus won't even consider it. Unless of course, there were plans to a make a cool Loar Style inspired case with what appears to be nice thick emerald case fabric...
    Notable instruments owned at various points; Gibson 1996 F-5L, Gibson F-2, Cushman Fern, Eastman 914, Washburn M118SW, Epiphone MM-30S, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Taylor SCCSM...

Is this a legit price claim AlanN? Seems a reasonable price if it is of a good quality but perhaps mostly manufactured overseas?
    Last edited by diymando; Jan-22-2016 at 2:43pm. Reason: wrong type of post

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    If you like this style of case, check out Hiscox cases (NFI). They are another rectangular case with lots of storage. Very rigid and well made. If AllanN is right about the price, Hiscox is cheaper, too.
    I took am fond of the Hiscox case, but this one appears to be much thinner and in my opinion cooler looking, and with it being claimed at Fiberglass perhaps they are in different categories? The Hiscox is a great oblong case for the money without a doubt!

Yes, think that price is correct. And looks to be a good case, for the money. There are many levels of cases these days, at various price points. At the top, you have your Pegasus/Calton/Hoffee/Price, then many choices on down. I also like the Hiscox. In my younger days, far fewer case choices existed. One I never had was the Leaf. A picker friend has his R. Wood mandolin in one, am always after him to sell it to me. I need another case like I need a hole in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by diymando View Post
    I took am fond of the Hiscox case, but this one appears to be much thinner and in my opinion cooler looking, and with it being claimed at Fiberglass perhaps they are in different categories? The Hiscox is a great oblong case for the money without a doubt!
    I agree, diymando. The Hiscox is a great case but lacks the 'cool' factor, probably due to its bulkiness. I use a Gator for my easy day-to-day use, but when the going might be tough, out comes the Hiscox. I have to also say, the Hiscox people really stand behind their product. I had a very minor problem with a new one and they replaced it without batting an eye.

We have so many great cases to choose among these days, it's hard not to develop a severe case of MCAS (Mandolin Case Aquisition syndrome). It's a great time to be a mandolin geek!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

My first thought is that I wish that case would have come with my Northfield F5...

Second thought: I wonder if Adrian and the boys would like to take a trade-in on a nice, original model. Black with putting-green interior.?.

Blog Entries

I do not have a Northfield but I would love to but one of these cases!👍😀

It seems like a very nicely made case & i really like the compartment in the headstock area. The only thing that puts me off,is the 'smooth' exterior finish,which looks too 'plasticy' for me. For a 'rectangular' case,the TKL's are still hard to beat (IMHO). When i 'play out',any mandolin i take with me goes into my Travelite. It's lightweight,impervious to exterior bump & scratch damage & is well padded & secure inside.
    The recent ''Slipped Disk'' article on the homepage, about the Classical guitarist who had his guitar smashed in the hold of an aircraft points to how easily a Carbon Fiber case can be damaged.
    http://slippedisc.com/2016/01/air-fr...mashes-guitar/ Our Cafe colleague,Peter Jenner,had the corner of his Hiscox case smashed off after it was dropped from an aircraft bagage hold. ALL hardshell cases are prone to exterior damage if badly handled. That's why i like the Travelites so much. I reckon nothing short of razor wire or a very sharp point would inflict much damage on one. There was a post on here a couple of years ago about a guy who's Travelite with his mandolin inside it, came off a motor cycle. Apart from some dust on the outside it was fine, & so was the mandolin inside,
    Ivan

Name:	Peter Jenner's shatterd Hiscox.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	143011
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

garded

so let get this straight Ivan, it is early and my coffee hasn't really kicked in.....but you'd put your precious in a Travelite in a aircraft hold with stuff that could crush a cf case? I'm positive you are right that the case would look just fine afterward but I'd bet the mandolin would look worse than if it had been beaten with that mythical firepoker that Monroe's mandolins were beat with.

Travelite cases have their place. If you can control their environment, and make sure nobody is going to accidentally step on it, stand on it, or load it under a half ton of baggage then they are fine. If you think it's going to better survive a trip in a cargo hold of an airplane then you live in a fantasy world. Cargo shifts. Just because a case cracks on the outside when dropped doesn't mean the instrument is automatically destroyed inside and just because you can't see much damage to your Travelite case when it's dropped doesn't automatically mean that the instrument is going to be OK. I have stood on my Calton with my mandolin inside. I'm a bit over 200 pounds. Anybody care to try that with a Travelite?

One shouldn't buy a case because the case will look better after an accident.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diymando View Post
    Has anyone else seen one of these or know anything about them?
    Here are the pics that were posted to the Northfield Facebook page yesterday (1/20/16);

Name:	12486050_1011592165574336_3828100552345469958_o.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	142943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12615423_1011592158907670_2514799844049230789_o.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	142942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12628522_1011592098907676_1729046811584501279_o.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	142941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10258205_1011592092241010_1548829211338407991_o.jpg 
Views:	1190 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	142944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12489181_1011592095574343_3686137927751015824_o.jpg 
Views:	1185 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	142945
    Yes. I inspected one in person last night after the NAMM Show. Very, very well made, flight quality grade I'd say. The fold-out storage area (I haven't seen what was posted on their Facebook page) is really impressive. Easily fit a large iPad in there, possibly my 11" Macintosh Air laptop minus case. There are all kinds of cases for all kinds of needs by all kinds of people so I think this is going to be a great solution for those folks looking for something along this line.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    A buddy said $350. Resembles a Presto.
    OK, I hadn't seen that price and didn't ask. That's a ridiculously low price for a case of this quality. I guess the comment above about Pegasus not having anything to worry about is right then. They'll remain about the most highly priced. Disclaimer: I've owned a carbon fiber Pegasus case in the past (only 3 exist), and will again soon, but cases move through my house almost as quick as mandolins.

Any idea how much it weighs?

Blog Entries

I wouldn't call it light, but probably not that much different from one of the several Pegasus cases I've owned. I was hanging out with Adrian of Northfield and may see him again at the show. If I do I'll ask.

25. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ALL hardshell cases are prone to exterior damage if badly handled. That's why i like the Travelites so much. I reckon nothing short of razor wire or a very sharp point would inflict much damage on one.
    Well, it's a roll of the dice what kind of damage you'll get.

I've owned both a Travelite and my current Pegasus case. If the case was sitting on a table and suddenly knocked onto the floor, I'd rather have it in a Travelite. There would probably be less shock damage.

On the other hand, the hard foam in a Travelite isn't completely rigid. You can push down on the top and it will flex if enough force is applied. I can stand with my full weight on my Pegasus case with no damage to the mandolin inside, and I am not a lightweight guy. I'd never do that with a Travelite.

Pressure damage is a risk when you're packing instruments together with PA gear in a car and the the load shifts unexpectedly, or when a drunk manages to stumble and fall on your case at a jam. A good stiff fiberglass case like the Pegasus is much better than a "hard foam" case that can compress and push down on the bridge in that scenario (IMO). So you pays your money and you takes your chances on type of damage you might run into.

Smaller cases like the Pegasus shape are also easier to pack in tight spaces among other gear and in airline overhead bins, which is why I've never liked the big rectangular cases. But that's personal preference.

27. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    I wouldn't call it light, but probably not that much different from one of the several Pegasus cases I've owned. I was hanging out with Adrian of Northfield and may see him again at the show. If I do I'll ask.
    hey Scott... have you had a chance to play any of the new "Artists Series" instruments?

From the pictures I'm impressed. The smooth textured doesn't bother me. I'd just plaster it with festival stickers!

Tony - I wouldn't allow any mandolin of mine to be put in an aircraft baggage hold in any make of case - period !. In fact,it's boubtful if i'd take a mandolin on a flight with me unless it was imperitive i do so. If faced with the prospect of needing to have a mandolin placed in the baggage hold,i'd put it in it's case inside a suitcase well padded out with clothing. Flying to the US back in '92,the aircraft had several onboard lockers stationed along the length of the aircraft,my banjo went in one of those. Flying back with my banjo in it's new Mark Leaf case,i asked the steward where it could go, & he told me to put it in the overhead locker. It fit easily with room to spare. I think back in those days,common sense ruled rather than stupid rules & regs (IMHO) to be adhered to at any cost. My Travelite case is slightly over 50% of my 'allowed' hand luggage volume. But as hand luggage is governed by dimensions,not volume,& because it's over the ''allowed length'',i can't take it on board any aircraft flying from Manchester UK, to Ireland. That's the sort of mindless stupidity i'm talking about,
    Ivan

Name:	Top__Medium_.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	143047 Overhead locker fodder !
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Yes. I inspected one in person last night after the NAMM Show. Very, very well made, flight quality grade I'd say. The fold-out storage area (I haven't seen what was posted on their Facebook page) is really impressive. Easily fit a large iPad in there, possibly my 11" Macintosh Air laptop minus case. There are all kinds of cases for all kinds of needs by all kinds of people so I think this is going to be a great solution for those folks looking for something along this line.
    At last, someone who actually knows what they are talking about pitches in. Thanks for this.

Yep, smart-looking, sleek. The handle and hardware look quality, the cushioning appears to be plush and soft, a la Calton. The storage box looks fantastic. Good neck channel config. Price is right. All good.