Thread: A Lesson For Two Tenor Guitars (John Dowland)

Default A Lesson For Two Tenor Guitars (John Dowland)

John Dowland (1563-1628): A Lesson For Two Lutes

This is a famous duet from a John Dowland lute manuscript kept at the Folger Shakespeare Library at Amherst. The piece is now mainly played as a standard student duet on classical guitars. A useful guitar version is here:

http://www.guitguid.com/files/downlo...wo%20Lutes.pdf

I have adapted the piece to two tenor guitars in GDAE tuning and play it twice through: first andante with bass notes added as double stops and chords and then allegro with the bass notes omitted.

Vintage Viaten tenor guitar (x2)

Apologies to Richard Durrant for pinching the title (but not the arrangement) from the tenor guitar adaptation he has recorded on his new album.

Recorded as part of getting used to my brand new parlour-sized tenor guitar -- it's a lovely little thing with great tone for early music!

Martin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A Lesson For Two Tenor Guitars (John Dowland)

Another nice on Martin -nice bright voice on the Viaten, much brighter than my Ashbury -which tuning do you have it in?

Default Re: A Lesson For Two Tenor Guitars (John Dowland)

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Another nice on Martin -nice bright voice on the Viaten, much brighter than my Ashbury -which tuning do you have it in?
    Thanks!

It's in GDAE -- I changed the strings from the original CGDA that it ships with. There is a nice demo of the instrument by Paul Brett (who has co-designed it and endorses it as his signature model) here. I think the demo uses guitar tuning (top four strings), as well as metal finger picks, but the tone is recognisably the same as on my recording. It's not a mellow instrument.

Martin

5. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

derbex