Thread: La Mantovana (Gasparo Zanetti, 1645)

Default La Mantovana (Gasparo Zanetti, 1645)

This is one of the best-known Italian renaissance dance tunes. This 1645 setting for four parts is by Gasparo Zanetti, but the tune is much older.

Arranged by Steve Hendricks:

http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Hendricks/Shawm/mantovan.pdf

Played on mandolin, two tenor guitars and mandocello.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

While Zanetti called this tune "Ballo di Mantova", this is quite different from Gaetano Greco tune recorded by Hany last week, which is also why I am not posting in his thread -- although they are supposed to be versions of the same tune, I am not sure I hear this.

This is also the source for the tune of the Israeli anthem ("Hatikvah"), and was included in Playford's Dancing Master under the title "An Italian Rant".

Martin

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Default Re: La Mantovana (Gasparo Zanetti, 1645)

Are the two tenors in the same tuning? What difference in tone do you notice between them? You've got a nice clear mix for this piece. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    Are the two tenors in the same tuning? What difference in tone do you notice between them? You've got a nice clear mix for this piece. Well done!
    Thanks!

Both tenors are in GDAE, and both are fairly small-bodied with slightly shorter scale than most. However, they sound and feel quite different.

The Ozark 3372 has been my main tenor guitar for several years. It has a solid cedar top and a sweet mellow tone and soft strummed chords. The Vintage Viaten "Paul Brett" Signature model is brand new -- it only came out this summer and I got mine last week ("Vintage" is, rather confusingly, the brand name for one of the UK wholesalers, not an indication of age). Solid spruce top, tiny narrow parlour-sized body, quite a bit smaller than the already-small Ozark. Brighter and more aggressive on single note playing than the Ozark, crisp and clean, but not in any way mellow.

I haven't recorded a solo demo of the Viaten yet, but there are commercial demo videos of both instruments on Youtube (albeit not in GDAE tuning), which demonstrate the difference in tone pretty accurately:

1. Ozark 3372:

2. Vintage Viaten:

Martin

5. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Very different sounds. I can see why you like the Viaten's tone. Have you put different kinds of strings on them to accentuate the differences?