Thread: Ever tried one of these "Pick Punch" for making picks?

Default Ever tried one of these "Pick Punch" for making picks?

Has anyone had success with one of these pick makers? It seems like a gimmick since you can buy picks in bundles for less, and how many picks do you go thru to make this device cost effective?

AM I missing something here?
    As an example-
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
    Many years ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to play the mandolin so I went out and bought a cheapo hondo mandolin. Had it for years, then in 2007 I purchased a Morgan Monroe MMS-4 Phantom of the Opry Mandolin. I retired the Hondo to a friend. Now in 2015, to keep the MMS-4 company, I have purchased a Gold Tone 800 Octave Mandolin. Maybe one day I will purchase a custom built Mandolin.

Default Re: Ever tried one of these "Pick Punch" for making picks?

A friend of mine has one. It works. The resulting pick aren't as good as the factory-made ones unless you put the work into beveling them etc. I'd say it's good if you constantly lose picks, and/or have access to cheap materials (plastic) to use as pick fodder.

You can probably find places to buy both the punch and the plastic cheaper than what's listed on Amazon.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

I was given one as a present, I didn't find it much use as I, in common with probably a lot of other mandolin players, prefer a thick plectrum. The ones I did make from old credit cards etc. needed some finishing as they were rather rough around the edges. They would probably work for people who like thin plectrums, but as you say, maybe not very economical.
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

I use one regularly, and it does make good picks. As noted, though, more fine sanding on the edges and such make abetter product, so those blocks with various grades of sandpaper are very useful.

Be aware, the Ultex/ultem sheets are harder to cut through than most other plastics.

I was given one as a gift also. Never used it and got rid of it.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I was given one as a gift also, but have no idea where it is oh and i never used mine either
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

The primary use it has in my house is destroying credit cards and expired ID cards etc. The picks I make are not ultimately to my liking but many of my guitar friends love them.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

First, it depends on the shape of the pick that the punch makes, they have several different models.

Next, it's easier with thinner materials, and that tends more to guitar picks than to mandolin picks these days.

Last, it really does depend on your choice of materials and how much final finishing you put into it. I let the uke and mandolin student I taught last year make their own picks, and they really enjoyed it. But even the kids learned that they needed to fine-finish the picks before use. The edges are rough,unbeveled and unpolished until you smooth them out.

this tool works well:

http://www.pickpunch.com/1-large-fou...gust12011.html

I got one as a gift. Picks aren't great, but a great way to destroy credit cards!

I have one as well. Got it as a gift and I do use it to destroy credit cards and stuff. I don't play with them much because they are too thin. Yes, you do need to sand the edges down. It's kinda fun though. I just give them away most of the time.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Roger View Post
    how many picks do you go thru to make this device cost effective?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoe View Post
    I got one as a gift. Picks aren't great, but a great way to destroy credit cards!
    I'm not sure it is meant to be cost effective - but it gives you a lot of control over what you make, and is also a good learning tool. The kids that made picks will remember that, and then there's one more thing that is part of their musical career - that they can make accessories.

For me, I can try various materials and see how they work. The kids all learned on picks from recycled plastics.

BTW, I've made my own picks on and off since the 70's, so I do enjoy it.

My favorite local used shop had one of those in, as part of a huge pile they took in trade.

We all tried it, and came to the same conclusion after trying all kinds of materials, and with the punch being free for the taking.

NO ONE WANTED IT, EVEN FOR FREE.

Your experience may vary, especially if you feel you must justify having spent money on what we rejected based on results.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I teach guitar in a high school and my pick punch has easily paid for itself. I've had it for about 4 years I think and it gets used (by students) every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    My favorite local used shop had one of those in, as part of a huge pile they took in trade.

We all tried it, and came to the same conclusion after trying all kinds of materials, and with the punch being free for the taking.

Your experience may vary, especially if you feel you must justify having spent money on what we rejected based on results.
    Did you have the right materials and finishing tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Browne View Post
    I teach guitar in a high school and my pick punch has easily paid for itself. I've had it for about 4 years I think and it gets used (by students) every day.
    A student situation is maybe the best overall use for a pick punch.

Well, I like using mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

If you ever visit a third world country, stick one in your luggage--you will be glad you did...
    I did after seeing an amazing singer in a Mexican market, who was playing with an expired phone card as she had no picks...
    So I vowed right then and there to collect the Pick Punches whenever I see them, and take them on the road...
    Good stories and vibes will result...
    Not everyone has access to good (or even lousy) picks...

Oh, and take some strings while you are at it....

16. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Ah, I see there is a variety of punches ,, bookmarked the 346 one that they show

but the factory they have make then is still filling the shipping container ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

It seems like most of the punches are purchased as gifts. I got one for Father's Day from my daughter so I almost had to do something with it.

One of the features of the punch is consistency: the picks are all exactly the same size. Taking advantage of that, I decided to put two colors together. My father used to use acetone to weld scrap Plexiglas when he was working on B-52s at Boeing in Wichita many years ago. Well, I found that that doesn't work with the materials that came with the Punch. However, super glue does work (and acetone does dissolve the super glue). A little tweaking with the included abrasives and it turns out a pretty decent pick. I have a small laser engraver that will work just fine for personalizing the picks. My daughter will be proud.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

I have one, I use it to make picks from old credit cards, insurance cards, library cards, etc. As all the cards are different, the picks all sound different. I clean up the edges with a nail file and nail buffer. Some sound like cr*p and some actually sound good - depends on the plastic the card was made from. It's amusing to play with, and destroys credit cards.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I've found that they're too thin. But if you can live with the thickness, what a way to get cheap picks.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

On the surface it seems like a good idea, and I can see that it can have some limited applications, but considering the extra work involved, and the low cost of perfectly good picks, it doesn't seem like something most people would find worthwhile.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    On the surface it seems like a good idea, and I can see that it can have some limited applications, but considering the extra work involved, and the low cost of perfectly good picks, it doesn't seem like something most people would find worthwhile.
    You're probably right but it does allow for color customization like I mentioned above (#17). I have a laser etcher so it also allows personalization. I certainly couldn't make it my livelihood but it's sorta fun to knock out a few personalized ones in a day.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Now if someone could invent a tool that made credit cards out of old picks, I'd buy two of those
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Floorstand For This Useful Post:

A hydraulic jack powered one could cut thru thicker stuff ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have one, and use it all the time. Hotel key cards work the best for me. I'm pretty good at squeezing 5 picks out of one hotel key card. I travel a bit for work, and always ask for two keys when I check in, so that's 10 picks per hotel stay, if I remember to keep both keys. I tend to agree with a previous post that these pick punch picks are maybe better for guitar than for mando picking. I tend to prefer a thicker triangular shape for mando, but then again I'm not that "picky" and will use whatever's in my pocket.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180702_1759344.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	169254
    Weber Sweet Pea
    Morgan Monroe MMS5W
    Gibson 1914 F4
    Gibson 1921 H2
    Saga AM-10 Work In Progress

I try to play every day.
    http://iversmandolinorchestra.blogspot.com/