Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Ron Oates Lack of Customer Service

Shortly before this thread began I was very close to sending RonO a deposit check for his Workingman's Special. #Stuff happened (AAS; Amp Acquisition Syndrome) and I didn't. #I read this thread from the beginning and have thanked my lucky stars. #
    Personally, I would not even buy a used RonO at this point. #Though, for those who treasure RonO instruments in spite of his obvious lack of ethics, I say "Go for it". #And for those who wish they hadn't, EdSherry's suggestion to sell their place in line provides a win-win-win situation for all three parties.
    Go for it.

Wye Knot

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Welcome back "ricardo" (wink, wink. . . )

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I would certainly consider purchasing a used RonO. Anyone who owns one and wants to offer it for sale, please send me a private post. Ed's endless churning of facts already well known from the now 13 pages of this thread, without suggesting any viable resolutions does nothing for those who are still waiting on Rondot. If his beating of the dead horse gives you comfort, I am happy for you. But even then, aren't you really looking for an acceptable conclusion to your quandry? You aren't going to get that from Ed's cheerleading of a course of action that has already been apparently done to death. Now, I understand that Ed is now attempting to masquerade as a solution-maker by suggesting that I buy up all the outstanding deposits. Well, we all know that is not going to happen. I would only consider the bird in hand, not the one in the bush. What else do you have, Ed? Anything that makes sense within reality, as we know it?

I don't know what people are suggesting that doesn't make sense, Frank. The only reasonable outcome at this stage is to seek a solution that gets everybody their money back and ensures that Ron never again leaves a jail cell before he dies. His defiance of the legal system may handle the second part, and getting everybody on the waiting list together in a joint civil lawsuit may handle the first. So what's your problem?
    Affordable lots in the Dutch Caribbean
    http://www.bellavistabonaire.com
    Bought a tricordia

Frank -- Again, you seem to want to have it both ways. #You originally said (10/19) that you "heartily regretted" resorting to the legal system, and then said (10/20) that people who pursued the legal system in order to get their instruments (which apparently worked for you, but clearly has not worked for others) would regret having done so. You now say that using the legal system won't work. #What alternative do YOU propose? #Waiting until Ron delivers? #When will that be? #Indeed, I'm sure that many are concerned that he may NEVER deliver as promised. #

You said (and still say) that you want more RonO instruments. #But you're not willing to put yourself in the position that others (involuntarily) find themselves in. #I proposed what (on your own logic) would have been a "win-win-win" solution. #You say "We all know that's not going to happen." #But WHY not? #Because you "would only consider a bird in the hand, not one in the bush." #Exactly my point; you want more RonO mandolins, but aren't willing to run the risk of non-delivery. #Unfortunately, others aren't so lucky to have a choice.

To the extent that I'm "cheerleading" for anything, it's that Ron's disgruntled customers let the Colorado DA know of the extent of the problem. #The Colorado courts are unlikely to take action if there's only one disgruntled customer. #The more customers who complain, the greater the chance they'll take action. #Will that ultimately result in people getting the instruments they ordered? #Probably not. #But maybe people can get at least some of their money back (e.g., if Ron has assets that the court can attach). #But waiting for Ron to resolve the outstanding complaints clearly isn't working.

I agree that everyone is looking for an "acceptable solution to [the] quandary," but Ron isn't cooperating, and none of us can make him (though maybe the Colorado legal system ultimately can). #I wish I had a solution. #I don't. #You don't either. #At least I acknowledge that I don't.
    EdSherry

Thanks, Ed! You finally owned up to the fact that you don't have anything constructive to add to this matter. At least I am willing to consider purchasing the RonOs that folks don't want, because of their outrage over Ron's customer service. You can keep up with your campaign to imprison Ron Oates, or at least drive him out of business, due to what he did to you. Oh, yeah, I forgot. He never did anything to you. EdSherry, kibitzer-extraordinaire, non-player and non-owner and non-purchaser of RonOs. Thanks for your insights into the nothing you know of this matter!

Frank -- I have never "campaign[ed] to imprison Ron Oates." #You can only be imprisoned for a crime. #Failure to honor contractual agreements is not a crime. #Failure to respond to the legal process IS (it's called "contempt of court"). #Ron can avoid being found in contempt by cooperating with the Colorado courts. #He apparently has chosen not to do so. #

Nor have I "campaigned to "drive [Ron] out of business." #I'd like nothing better than to see Ron fix the problems that he seems to have created, honor his commitments, communicate with his customers, and continue to make mandolins. #I'm sure many of his customers feel the same. #Again, that's in his control, not mine.

I never said that Ron ever did anything to me personally; I acknowledged that fact openly. #(Are you suggesting that the only people that should post to this thread are people who Ron HAS harmed?)

If you don't like my pointing out what appear to me to be inconsistencies in your position, that's your prerogative. #But please don't try to tell me that you have offered any constructive advice or solutions. #Being "willing to consider purchasing the [used] RonOs that folks don't want" (which I have already said I am also willing to do) is NOT a solution to the problem at hand -- namely, Ron's failure to deliver the NEW mandolins that people have ordered and paid deposits on.

I started contributing to this thread to make what I thought were reasonable comments on an issue of general interest to the mandolin community. #As a result, I've been dragged into something that has degenerated into name-calling. #Frank, to quote one of your earlier posts (about Ron's behavior), "Enough is enough." #Continue the thread without me.
    EdSherry

Contributing? Contributing what? Nothing you have said has done anything but rehash other people's issues. I am glad that you have ceased to post to this thread. Maybe someone needs you to lionize the virtues of the Godin A-8, or the ...urk ... Fender electric mandolins. Excuse me, the thought of the Fenders you have recommended made me puke just a little bit.

Frank -- given that you've changed the topic (to your reaction to my opinions on other electric mandos) -- if you want to debate those issues, why not post to those threads? #I agree that the import Fenders are not nearly as nice as a handmade instrument, but they're a lot less money.
    EdSherry

Maybe this Ed and Frank are the same person, kind of like the devil and angel on each shoulder. Maybe this is Rono himself being schizo. And maybe not, but it's rapidly approaching the "Who gives a toot" stage, if not already there.

Carry on, whoever you are.

Alan -- No, I'm not Frank. I agree that we have long since passed the "who gives a toot" stage. That's why I'm out of here.
    EdSherry

Promises, promises. May I suggest Immodium for your infirmity.

Frank,

I for one, do not appreciate your personal attacks. Sure you have a difference of opinion, but your personal attacks are not appreciated. Sure you got your Ron Oates mandolin and think that it is a great instrument. The are others who wish to receive theirs and sometimes taking things to court is how things actually get resolved. The fact that Mr. Oates has failed to respond to nothing would have me demanding either he deliver the promised mandolin now or I get the money back. I don't care how great it sounds and how much it could be worth in the future. People have to be treated with respect, especially if they have paid for something that is not delivered on time and there is no communication from the person who has promised it. This smacks of taking the money and running. In today's world there are a lot of alternatives for mandolins, it may not be the exact mandolin one is looking for, but it is easier to play something than nothing at all. Most people work hard for their money and giving it away for a dreamed about mandolin and then finding no mandolin and no money returned is intolerable.

Thank you so much for the continued rehashing of posts made one pages 1 through 3 of this thread.

Blog Entries

This discussion has moved from exchange into flaming, which is against our posting guidelines. It's clear there is disagreement and that it won't be resolved. That's fine. But for those that still have a financial interest in this matter and need to communicate, it should be their right to post as need be. Everyone else that doesn't have a stake in this needs to move on. At this point I'm only willing to let this thread continue with that in mind.

Scott -- Sorry, no flaming intended. That's why I bailed.
    EdSherry

hope everyone's holiday season has started well. #haven't posted in a while, just wanted to let everyone know that using the court judgement against him i have placed a property lien on ron's trailer and he cannot sell, rent or transfer it until he settles up with me. #obviously, that does me no good if he doesn't plan to do any of these things, but at least it's something. #it's not been too tedious a process, and at least i feel as though i have a tiny bit of hope that at some point he'll come up against this again and have to settle it. #

i know there are some people on this forum who think that ron is a divine spirit or a railroaded craftsman or something similar, so i will again repeat that i am not witch hunting (or mandolin builder hunting), and this is the first time i've ever been in a legal process like this (except for a speeding ticket when i was 19), and i wish completely that ron had finished the mando in 2 or 4 or even 6 times the amount of time he originally told me it would be finished, or just called to say he was caught in a riptide swimming back from hawaii with the koa in tow and it would take a bit longer than expected. i'm just posting here so that anyone else in this unfortunate situation has the benefit of my experience with this whole mess. #i will continue to update as the situation develops.
    karl
    and yes (regarding the post below) claire contacted me too and i plan to go that route also.

Boulder DA staff Claire Hunter consumer division, this morning sent Email criminal individual cases report refer to Assigned case # PO6-16600, call (303) 441 3333, case officer Craig Beckjord.
    Ron is ducking and dodging at present .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Does anybody know if Ron is actually doing any work on mandolins at this time? It sounds like he's in an ever growing amount of trouble for noncommunication with people who have placed orders with him.

Count me among those waiting for a Working Man's special (ordered on 12/18/2004, before I had any knowledge of the difficulties dealing with him). I've avoided legal action, but I confess I've moved on to the stage of wondering if I'll ever see an instrument or my money.

It seems to me that judgements (civil or criminal) against him combined with a poor financial situation could easily lead to him filing for bankruptcy, forcing him out of business altogether. People waiting for instruments could end up with no legal recourse, no money and no instrument. I hope that doesn't happen. I'm not trying to ruin Ron, but I fear his own actions may have done just that.

Blog Entries

Thank heavens I don't do electric CBOM's. Oh, and Frank, the correct terminology is "Mon cheri".

Cheers!

Rob
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

any updates?
    CPD

I keep check'n for any updates... I'm SURE the fires are still smoldering.... That RONO...what a guy!! #hee.. hee.. #

Guess he must have gone underground, Cayman Islands?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Been a while since I posted here, because I haven't had anything to say. #I am, something, I don't know, relieved, perhaps, to report that my saga with Ron is over. #The scoop is here- The Last Chapter in My Ron Oates Saga. #I want to thank the members of this community for the kindness and support you've all given me through this ordeal. #It's made it a lot easier. #I hope that this thread finds no new posters, and everyone else here can find some resolution. #
    Kind Regards, Mangolin/Karl/The Frogster

Thank you for the UPDATE - and for exposing the evidently REAL RONO. My sympathies - and if I were a rich "picker" () hee...hee..)- I would at least #offer some compensation$$ for your dedication - and certainly your patience -though of course "misplaced" to an obvious C.R.O.O.K!!### - Again, thanks for sharing ....your loss. Good pick'n times.., and future happiness to ya' - MOOSE. # #