Thread: Another positive review, Kentucky KM-150 mandolin

Default Another positive review, Kentucky KM-150 mandolin

New to the mandolin, but here goes anyway:

Bought a used Kentucky KM-150 that I found on Craigslist. Love it! The fit and finish seem way too good for something this inexpensive; the tone is sweet, and pretty well balanced, with almost no weak spots; intonation is spot on; action is low and playable; the neck is thin and fast, and never seems to get in my way. I was in a couple of music stores this morning and tried a bunch of other mandos, across a very wide price range, and I was only too happy to run right back to this entry level Kentucky. Kudos to whoever it is that made this possible!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carryatune For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Another positive review, Kentucky KM-150 mandolin

Hi Jon.

I was wondering about the neck. I sometimes have a difficult time fretting the strings I need to for some of the closed chords. I have an inexpensive mandolin now, but also have MAS and may someday get something with a little better sound. I had read the Kentucky KM-150 had a "wider" neck, so was leaning towards ruling it out. Thank you for the review. It is really helpful for us newbies when we can get realistic comparative reviews on the different "beginner" mandolins. I figure the more expensive mandolins are bought by more experienced players who really don't need the reviews as much. Folkmusician indicated they liked the Loar better, but I personally could use more information.

Hi Morris, hope this is of some use.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bailey For This Useful Post:

I've played the Km 150 and the neck does seem to be a little wider and easy to play.I bought a Loar LM 220 LM vs and am very happy with it however the neck is definitely a little tighter than the Kentucky. I'd also probably buy a KM 150 if I came across a super good deal.

Hey Jon,
    I'm also a beginner, searching/researching my first mandolin.

I think I've narrowed my choice down to two--a KM-150 or a used Big Muddy/ Mid Mo. I know they are differnt types--carved arch versus flat top/back.

Just have to try and find these in person to play.

So I really appreciate your review!

john

Hi SO, I can't adequately answer the "closed chords" question, because I have been doing little but "single note melody" picking so far. The neck of the KM-150 doesn't seem particularly wide to me; I played a couple at the music stores yesterday that were wider.
    I think the main point of my review was: "Golly! You can't go very far wrong with one of these Kentucky KM-150s." A lot of mandolin for very little money. I forgot to mention yesterday: very good sustain, and a bright, cheerful sound, never harsh. Of course, I realize that tone will vary slightly from one example to the next.
    If nothing else, this would be a great instrument to carry in your car, in case you run out of gas some time and happen to get rescued by a bluegrass band on their way to their next gig. Jon

Quote Originally Posted by SOMorris View Post
    Hi Jon.

I was wondering about the neck. I sometimes have a difficult time fretting the strings I need to for some of the closed chords. I have an inexpensive mandolin now, but also have MAS and may someday get something with a little better sound. I had read the Kentucky KM-150 had a "wider" neck, so was leaning towards ruling it out. Thank you for the review. It is really helpful for us newbies when we can get realistic comparative reviews on the different "beginner" mandolins. I figure the more expensive mandolins are bought by more experienced players who really don't need the reviews as much. Folkmusician indicated they liked the Loar better, but I personally could use more information.

9. The following members say thank you to carryatune for this post:

Thanks Jon. I really appreciate it.