Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: double vs single courses?

Default Re: double vs single courses?

By the way, it happened to me quite a few times during performance with a double-course mandolin, that I broke a string and simply continued playing.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sevelos View Post
    Just one point: David Lewis - The double courses are not only for volume. The tremolo sounds much smoother with double courses than with single strings because while the pick touches one of the strings in a course, the other string continues to vibrate. With tremolo on a single string, the tremolo sound pauses (VERY shortly) each time the pick touches a string.
    True enough. For me, it still makes a very harsh sound when you tremolo on an electric. So with volume the only option (if you don't like the tremolo sound), it's less vital. However I do understand that there are those who like the sound. And that is acceptable, fine and ok by me. In that case, you'd be happy with double courses.
    Last edited by David Lewis; Sep-04-2015 at 10:46pm.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: double vs single courses?

I prefer the sound and feel of double course (8 string) vs. single course in a mandolin. I owned a 5 string mandolin (C to E) but rarely played it because I could just as easily have played my Strat or Tele. I sold that mandolin and bought a much less expensive 8 string and now I hear the sound I'm looking for. BTW I also love the sound of a 12 string Rickenbacker guitar.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL