Thread: Mandolin Book for Beginners

Default Mandolin Book for Beginners

Hi All,
    I am looking for a fun book to learn from. Any suggestions ? I can read music (although a bit out of practice) and know a bit about music theory. I was looking at Don Julin Mandolin for Dummies ?
    Thanks

Default Re: Mandolin Book for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 1401 View Post
    Hi All,
    I am looking for a fun book to learn from. Any suggestions ? I can read music (although a bit out of practice) and know a bit about music theory. I was looking at Don Julin Mandolin for Dummies ?
    Thanks
    The Dom Julin book has a huge amount of info. Personally I found it overwhelming. I used Bert Casey’s book and found it way easier to follow. Of course his book is 100% bluegrass, so if that is not your thing you’ll probably want a different option
    Northfield FS5 Blond
    Eastman 404 Oval Hole
    Kentucky KM-250

3. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Nothing wrong with Mandolin For Dummies at all. Although I wouldn’t call it a method book. More of a reference book.

The best Zero to Hero mandolin method book for someone who can read music is The Complete Mandolinist by Marilyn Mair. Available for cheap on Amazon.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan in NH For This Useful Post:

I should mention Marilyn’s book is mostly classical music.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Jim richters books are good

Mel bays mandolin beginners is good too
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

8. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

I'd say take that book money and spend it at Artistworks or Peghead Nation for beginners lessons. More bang for your buck than books. If you want notation on paper, you can also download notation for the tunes you are working on.
    2010 Campanella A-5
    1923 Gibson A2

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCHammers For This Useful Post:

I own just about every mandolin method book Amazon knows about, plus a pile that they don’t. While I stand by my recommendation for OP because he can read music, I can’t and my favorite mandolin method book out of the bunch is Mandolin From Scratch by Bruce Emery. See all his music books at his website skepticalguitarist.com.

13. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

I agree with the advice of Peghead Nation courses. I am currently taking beginning mandolin with Sharon Gilchrist and she is wonderful. She starts right from the beginning and trains by ear but really got me playing IMO with all the basic techniques. I'm a classically trained musician but beginner on mandolin and even though I've played guitar for more than 30 years, learned so much about how the mandolin is different and she spends time in sections detailing how guitar is a different beast. I came as perhaps other guitarists, thinking of the mandolin as a small guitar, it was easy to pick of and get sounds and I thought "wow, this is easy". But once I shed my guitar bias and realized what I was playing, more like playing a violin with a pick rather than a guitar, my progress was faster.
    Sharon does not provide transcripts and being good at reading music, I was initially put off but have discovered that I use sheet music as a security blanket and it has been a growth experience to learn by ear and memorize the tunes. I feel I am worse than most musicians at ear training so this has truly been growth. Sharon provides a lot of practice on pick direction, analogous to fiddle bow strokes. I have had some experience with a bowed string instrument, classical upright bass, and there is so much emphasis on bow stroke direction. That was what helped me make the leap to think of the mandolin pick as analogous to a bow. IMO, it is very difficult to learn bowing from a book, I really needed a hands on live person to get it and it is a many year process IMO. On the mandolin, it is very helpful to see Sharon's slow teaching on how to use the pick strokes with ghost strokes in between down or up strokes to really dial in the rhythm. IMO, it would be very difficult to get that right out of a book.
    I'm also in Marla Fibish's Irish mandolin course (Peghead Nation) because that is my main focus. It is also amazing but she provides transcripts of all the tunes and exercises. Her course is more advanced but if you already are good with picks and strings, easily accomplished. She quickly gets into trickier techniques than Sharon's course and also spends some time with the history of these tunes which is fascinating.
    I started the Theory course by Chad Manning. He is great. I went there since I felt comfortable with stringed instruments and wanted to learn the fretboard quickly. His course is so very informative but is detail rich. I plan to return but realized I was spending so much time practicing scales and arpeggios that I did not really have any tunes to present! I will definitely return after I get through the above 2 courses which will leave one with a repertoire for performance or pub sessions.

For those who want a method book, I have downloaded from this site and other internet sites method books by Ranieri Vol 1-4, Bickford Method, Stahl Method. They seem pretty complete and oriented towards classical. Why did I download them even though I am not using them now? Well, being initially trained as a classical musician, it simply felt comfortable but also, I intend to get into them eventually, perhaps in 1-2 yrs and plan to play classical once I get my feet on the ground. I won't comment on them because right now I am intentionally focusing on the 2 courses above. IMO, what the method books provide is specific exercises or studies that focus on specific difficult techniques, ala Arbans (trumpet) or Suzuki (strings).

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Phaedrus157; Apr-08-2024 at 9:23am. Reason: addition
    "Music is a mausoleum of forgotten emotions." - Galina Ustvolskaya

Phaedrus157
    Kentucky Artist 272

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaedrus157 For This Useful Post:

I'm a fairly new player (4 years - wow they went fast) with a stack of books to rival Dan's, and I agree with DCHammers and Phaedrus157 - take a class. Hindsight is 20/20.

Don Julin's book is a good one for reference, and I've thumbed through it more than all the others combined.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

17. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

+1 for Sharon Gilchrist on Peghead Nation. I've worked through several of her courses and found them to be well done and a great help.