Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Default Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by old cut rick View Post
    Your sure right about the quality. This maybe the first" travel mandolin" to mop the floor with my 4 digit figure mandolins. Who would have known that something so small could do that to some of the biggest brand name mandolins.
    Don't think I could go that far, but it has to be considered one of the best sub $500.00 "beaters". Considering the price of the Mid-Mo, Flat Irons pancakes, etc...this product fits in the niche quite nicely.

I got to try one a few weeks ago, and despite being a huge fan of the brand I found it sounded just ok. But most companies that aim at this price point put their effort into looks, scrolls, finishes, inlay, whereas Godin has tried to make a functional, practical instrument and I respect that. Trying to compete with imports I imagine, and I wish them success.

Sorry cary never have been one to let people know what i have. I feel that i had allready crossed my line after the last post. Sorry to leave ya hanging knowing your "awfully interested". Cheers and happy trilling.

Quote Originally Posted by old cut rick View Post
    never have been one to let people know what i have.
    Well, except for the Seagull S8.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    To clarify:the heel and body are one piece. the wings are two other pieces. the only join is the wings attached to the single block "Neck Through Body"' which is visible on the back.
    Yeah I forgot about that in my haste to post. It's obviously a one piece construction but it is done well. The curvature seems to flow like water. Maybe the wing seams could be better hidden but that's a minor quibble.

Hi guys , new to the forum. Just thought I'd revive this thread with some new info for anyone like myself that was on the fence about this mando until I could find some good audio sample. Well this video tipped the scales for me. This thing sounds awesome! I'm definitely upgrading from my import to this one soon. Anyway, hope this helps.
    http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-S8-Man.../dp/B01BU71R7Q

Yes. I bought one, too. There may be a little echo in that recording, but I can confirm the tone and volume are accurate representations. It's slowly breaking in and as it does the treble edge is coming off, and it's getting a rounder sound.

Greetings,
    All I know is that I played one today and loved it. Great feel and tone. Tight bottom end. Clear highs. Nice size neck.
    In my opinion, it blows away any other under $500. Mando that I have ever played. Way better than all the Epiphone, Fender, Eastman, Gretsch.
    Fit and finish is great. Very comfortable to play.
    Enough volume for any Bluegrass or Celtic group.

I now play a Weber Bitterroot, Gibson and a Godin A8 ( great also )

Damn good little mando for the price!

Cheers, Bob

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with The Loar LM-520 could comment on how it might stack up to the S8? I love my Seagull guitar and am very tempted to pick up the S8, but I haven't found any near me to try out. I've been through the S8 samples on YouTube, but I'm curious to know if anyone could compare the two models specifically.

Thanks very much for your time!

I had one for awhile (LM-520) and then sold it on consignment. Its diminished volume was well balanced by an equal lack tone.

<Removed by Moderator. Please limit commerce to the classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jul-18-2017 at 8:20pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cochiti Don View Post
    I'd like to sell mine. I've only had it a month but it's becoming too hard to play for an old dude like me
    Don't get me wrong. I love the sound except for the lower end. Message me if interested
    Don
    Prob needs to be set up. I would recommend a set-up before offloading it. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Prob needs to be set up. I would recommend a set-up before offloading it. YMMV.
    That's the problem. It can't be set up without breaking off the glued on bridge and replacing it

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cochiti Don View Post
    That's the problem. It can't be set up without breaking off the glued on bridge and replacing it
    Can't the bridge saddle be reduced? Nut slots filed? Truss rod tweaked?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5