Thread: UK players looking for a mandocaster

Default UK players looking for a mandocaster

This dealer in Scotland has four 'Volcano' mandocasters listed on Amazon. I bought a mandolin from this guy a few years ago, and he was a pleasure to deal with.

The Volcano almost certainly comes out of the same factory as all the other variously-branded mandocasters, but interestingly this one arrives with a better bridge as standard, with individual intonation adjustment on each course. I had to get an after-market bridge from Moongazer to introduce that much-needed control element.

[Edit added later] Almuse Pete tells me that the bridge as featured on the Volcano is actually terrible. Its spacing, he says, is all wrong.
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Jul-23-2015 at 6:04am.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Re: UK players looking for a mandocaster

The bridge is the same as that on current Eastwoods, Revelations, some Harley Bentons and probably other clones too.....
    12.7mm mean saddle spacing but the same neck as the older ones so the 1st and 8th strings are almost hanging over the edge of the fretboard :-(

3. The following members say thank you to Soundfarmer Pete for this post:

Muppet

Steve Earle bought his mandocasters from Jimmy Moon http://www.moonguitars.co.uk/

The mandocasters mentioned here are solid-body electric mandolins. I believe Steve Earle bought 'Electro Acoustic' mandolins from Moon. These were hollow bodied semi-acoustics with built in pick-ups.