Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

Default Re: The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

Just signed on as a backer, the book looks to be something every member of this site would want.

Al

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I ended up signing on for an ebook I'd love a hard copy. But I'll take what I can get.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knox Al View Post
    Just signed on as a backer, the book looks to be something every member of this site would want.

Al
    I agree Al. It really is an incredibly comprehensive book. It's astounding to me that this hasn't been taken up more widely. I've read the whole thing and have put in for one of the leather bound volumes. I realise I've been pushing this book hard but would like to say I have no pecuniary interest in it, I just want it to succeed so I can get my copy.

If anyone has trouble reaching the kickstarter page, try disabling ad blockers. I was having trouble until I did that.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JH Murray View Post
    I see it has been shared on the Reddit Mandolin forum. Not sure where else you might want to share it.
    Ha! I had never heard of that forum before.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Graham, have you put an ad about it in the classifieds? I don't know if that's allowed under forum guidelines, but it might get more hits for the project.

Reddit is one of the busiest sites on the web. Their mandolin forum is smaller than mandocafe, and is mostly beginners. It has 3,400 members. The book has also been posted on their bluegrass forum, which has 8,400 members.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Thanks for passing the information along. Every bit helps.

I had thought about an ad in the Classified but I thought it might lead to some confusion, as I am not actually selling anything, more the 'probability' of being able to purchase something in a few weeks' time. The Kickstarter pledges are still coming in, not as fast or as many as might be preferable, but the total is slowly growing.

Cheers

Have you asked Scott if he could mention it on the home page of the Mandolin Cafe? Might get a few more eyeballs seeing it there.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Have you asked Scott if he could mention it on the home page of the Mandolin Cafe? Might get a few more eyeballs seeing it there.
    I think it might have been there, but I wouldn't object (as a frequent visitor, and probably too frequent commenter) to have it mentioned again...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

It looks like a large number of backers are still needed. I signed on last week. Yesterday I emailed many of my mandolin friends around the country and at least two have signed on. I sincerely hope this project succeeds. Best of luck, Mr. McDonald.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    I think it might have been there, but I wouldn't object (as a frequent visitor, and probably too frequent commenter) to have it mentioned again...
    Good idea.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Signed up for a copy. Best of luck meeting the goal!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Thanks for passing the information along. Every bit helps.

I had thought about an ad in the Classified but I thought it might lead to some confusion, as I am not actually selling anything, more the 'probability' of being able to purchase something in a few weeks' time. The Kickstarter pledges are still coming in, not as fast or as many as might be preferable, but the total is slowly growing.

Cheers
    I think an ad would work for this, and you are selling something, with the Kickstarter caveat of course. I think if it is clearly stated in the ad text, and you link to the Kickstarter page, there should be no confusion.

Gary
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Blog Entries

Only 9 days to go folks! If you want this book to happen, get on board now.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

I want this to happen. I want my leather bound edition that I upgraded to when more became available. But I'm not sure what else can be done to drum up interest. I notice that this thread is in fact in danger of being overtaken in terms of page views and replies by 'Do you drool when you play?' It is a shame that there are so far only 157 people who have pledged. It will take nearly 300 pledging 60 bucks to make this happen.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Franc Homier Lieu;1423183 I notice that this thread is in fact in danger of being overtaken in terms of page views and replies by 'Do you drool when you play?' [/QUOTE]

Yes, it's a bleak day for the magnificent mandolin's future when facial incontinence commands the same attention as the most comprehensive book ever written on the history of our esteemed instrument.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Bump.
    This needs to be where it can be seen until it happens...

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

The fix is in, Graham.

Sorry to have been out of touch and not weighing in sooner. I hope we get a coalescification to reach your goal.

Looking forward to reading the opus.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

bump

Would it be possible, if it falls short, to still do the ebook?

Blog Entries

Still $11K short with 8 days to go. I am thinking about pledging again and use the extra copies as Xmas gift.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

That is a very generous thought Bernie, thank you. Also thank you to Scott for the home page feature and the group of you who have been quietly bumping the thread for the past week or so. There is beer owed as we head into the last week.

There will certainly be an ebook version (versions?) available. I am on the hunt for a way to turn the book into some kind of stand alone app in the way that a lot of magazines are produced. There are software platforms out there, but geared towards monthly magazines published by large publishing companies who pay hefty monthly fees. Any suggestions welcomed. I have found a rather elegant software package called Vellum which works as basic ebook layout and then for a small fee generates various ebook versions. Vellum copes with lots of images, which ebooks generally don't deal with well.

Cheers

23. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Graham, I'm rooting for you! I want to see this come through. Come on people! And I want to see it on paper, in my hands, to drift off to sleep looking at it.

In a couple of hours, a little after 2pm Australian Eastern time, I will be talking about the book on ABC Radio National during their afternoon program. That will be a little after midnight US EDT, 9pm PDT or 5am in the UK.

If you are interested you can listen live at http://www.abc.net.au/radio/stations/RN/live

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    I occasionally wonder what became of the girl on the postcard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	girl_staring_title_small.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	136634
    Ah, H้l่ne ... we had a whirlwind romance, but the heat of our passion should have given us a clue that it would burn out sooner or later. Although left-handed, self-taught and a bit unorthodox in her technique, she was nonetheless a formidable soloist: her expressive intensity made up for anything she lacked in the way of formal musicianship. We parted ways in a heated disagreement over the ideal fingering for Calace's Bolero. I entertained hopes of patching things up with H้l่ne in the aftermath, but when I finally was discharged from the hospital after six weeks, she had moved out of the flat.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls