Thread: The Caleb Klauder Interview

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default The Caleb Klauder Interview

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    The Caleb Klauder Interview

Mandolin, fiddle, guitar player and vocalist Caleb Klauder serves as front man for the popular old-time group Foghorn Stringband from Portland, Oregon. His classic mandolin style and approach to the music contain a rhythmic twist writer Michael Eck explores in this feature interview.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewsFetcher For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: The Caleb Klauder Interview

In my opinion, Klauder is one of the most interesting and talented musicians on the scene today. I really love his playing and singing. Excellent interview: thank you.

Default Re: The Caleb Klauder Interview

Great interview. Thanks

Nice interview of one of my all time faves. Thank you!

This is sweet Foghorn recording that gets buried in more recent youtube clips but really shows Caleb's technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FG2-xNfRZ0

Z
    Member since 2003!

Caleb is a huge inspiration for those of us who love and play Old Time music on the mandolin. But I would argue that the Foghorn style of Old Time music is not "peculiar."

You threw me a loop Caleb in DFW. This morning when I followed the main page link to this interview the only comment post was yours. I smiled thinking about it this morning and only snapped when I returned to the interview comments thread just now. I had heard the saying " You have to blow your on horn if you want to be heard" and I was smiling thinking I had hear Caleb blowing his own Fog horn. Nit Witedness aside, I enjoy the Cajun music down south and like Foghorn's similar sound. I especially enjoyed when Caleb explained how his unusual backing cadence evolved from claw hammer banjo. Sort of a da da dum da da dum da da dum like horses running in old westerns like the Lone Ranger. Great stuff!
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Blog Entries

Part of the inspiration for this interview was seeing Foghorn live at Jalopy in Brooklyn this past winter during a crazy snow storm where I trekked about a mile through 9 inches of snow to see them. When the band kicked off their set I was caught off guard for a moment looking at them and saying to myself, "where the heck is the clawhammer banjo drive I'm hearing coming from?" Took me a few moments to figure out Caleb was doing it on the mandolin which sort of blew my mind. After their set I introduced myself and we had a nice chat. I asked him who else was doing this on mandolin in any kind of music. His response was, "no one I know of." It was at that moment I knew I wanted people to hear about what he's doing. I checked around with a few other big names in the mandolin community and wasn't surprised to see the level of respect he commands for what he's doing, which I think is sort of ground breaking. Impressive musician, and a great guy to boot.

I think Michael Eck did a real nice job with this interview and it won't be the last one he does for us if I have my way.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Michael is a indeed a wonderful writer (and nice guy). He's written for Fretboard Journal, including a great interview with Pete Seeger, amongst other things.

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/feat.../great-lengths

I look forward to seeing more of his work here. Thanks Scott for putting this together.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsFetcher View Post
    Mandolin, fiddle, guitar player and vocalist Caleb Klauder serves as front man for the popular old-time group Foghorn Stringband from Portland, Oregon. His classic mandolin style and approach to the music contain a rhythmic twist writer Michael Eck explores in this feature interview.
    It was good interview for sure.

But I guess there's a difference between "classic" mandolin style and "classical" - I was expecting that under the roots music Klauder also played classical mandolin.

I guess in this case it means "classic" American style folkloric music.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    It was good interview for sure.

But I guess there's a difference between "classic" mandolin style and "classical" - I was expecting that under the roots music Klauder also played classical mandolin.

I guess in this case it means "classic" American style folkloric music.
    Sorry, don't provide dictionaries with our articles.

Classic, from the dictionary:

1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Sorry, don't provide dictionaries with our articles.

Classic, from the dictionary:

1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.
    That seems to apply here quite well!

I was honored to have Caleb visit my home earlier this year during his southeast tour and play one of my mandolins. I love his style of playing and hearing it live in my house proved just how powerful his attack on the strings really is. I'm really fond of his "country honky tonk" music. Awesome band!!

Hi Scott,

I too really appreciate you posting some of their videos so we can all appreciate what exactly Caleb is doing with his mandolin. I really like his style in his smaller quartet acoustic format.
    For a somewhat larger musical format, Railroad Earth is quite the kindred spirit to these folks. Rock on...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

hank:

Not the same Caleb! Sorry for the confusion. We just happen to have the same name, though I can assure you we don't share the same mandolin skills!

Caleb is also a fine instructor. He taught a workshop a number of years ago at the the San Francisco Festival of Mandolins and was very enthusiastic and obviously loves teaching. A wonderful experience.

Cheers.

One of my very favorite bands. Thank you for such an insightful interview. It is inspiring to read about Caleb's thoughtful approach. I have enormous respect for the skills of the entire band. Reeb is such a precise player, and Sammy is--yep, I'm gonna say it--incendiary, and Nadine plays with vivacious charm. Can't beat the song choice and harmonies--their cohesiveness is thrilling. Big fan.

Thanks for the article. I'm a big fan of the Foghorn's too. What specifically draws me to their music is - apart from the rawness and energy - Klauder's powerfull style and how he contributes to the sound of the band as a whole. I wonder, however, how exactly this three finger pick hold works. Presumably the pick will be resting rather on the tips of the index and middle finger...

It's interesting to me that some of my favorite players all have different right hand techniques. Kaleb, three finger grip, Mike Compton, two finger loose between first knuckles on index finger and thumb. John Reischman, thumb and index finger tip with pick angled back, Tim Obrien, splayed fingers loose dangling wrist. Adam Steffey, anchors right hand. All unique and great sounds. Unfortunately I can't seem duplicate any of them.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Foghorn has always been my favorite but never could put my finger on what drove their sound so uniquely. Now that I realize what Caleb was doing it all makes since. Thanks for the great interview.

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this feature interview.

Missed this interview years ago. Very excited about Caleb returning to Monroe Mandolin Camp this Summer as an instructor. Great teaching style.