Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jack White on Tenor Guitar

Default Re: Jack White on Tenor Guitar

I've got to get one of them and learn this song.
    Richard Hutchings

And the Great Mississippi John Hurt...

3. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Jack White playing Tenor Guitar - this is the Tenor Guitar Forum. We like to post clips of famous musicians stepping outside the box and playing Tenor. I guess the other aspects of the performance; vocals, monitors, the other musicians, acoustics, harmonies etc., are fair game for comment too. Repeatedly saying you can't see the video is beyond the scope of this thread except to tell you where to go... to get it - Amazon.Com, A music Store, Movie Rental Store... The Title of the DVD is "Another Day, Another Time" and it was a concert based on the Soundtrack of Inside Llewyn Davis, but has a lot more music....

Hmm. I guess if you can't see the first clip you probably can't see this one either. Oh well. It's good.

I've never been a fan of the Milk Carton Kids, as I just couldn't get over the similarities with Welch/Rawlings. That one kid has all of Rawlings' licks and affectations down pat; they just seem like.. affectations. Never even saw the similarities with Simon and Garfunkel. But they do play and sing well. I wonder if Gillian and David feel like Big Mon when he first heard the Stanleys?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delsbrother For This Useful Post:

Thanks for posting this Eddie. I liked the tenor guitar part and I think the laid back and real vocals the 1st clip were fun to listen to. The song tribute to Mississippi John was great. I'll look for the Watson /Paxton version of that as well, but not with the intent of being a vocal judge.

Scott

Watching the clip above - I forgot who else was a great big influence on folks was Neil Young. When "attuned" by Neil and Keith and them...the whole punks scene ya jas got to make zome zense ya?

Also, is that Dirk Powell there at the beginning? It must be. He and that roundpeak style made me start ripping frets out of my banjos..

Like.

*yes so very nice to hear Ms Baez so huskily singing with Dirk and the other chap there -
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jul-20-2015 at 9:59pm.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

indeed - can't see the latter clip studiocanal are obviously quite =RIGHT("studiocanal",4) about such things...

darn it

(sorry been doing a lot of Excel the last few weeks at work!)
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Wow! I sure would have liked to have been at that concert. I've only seen about half of it so far. I'll watch the rest tonight.
    Richard Hutchings

I came across this video this morning and could not leave it. Watched the whole thing and was absolutely mesmerized. Some of the performers I'm not too familiar with but I enjoyed the entire concert. It was great!! Such good music!! (tenor guitar and all)

delsbro-thanks so much for that superb video link
    simply stunning

makes me so happy to be in our period of music and 'roots' revival

I do think that Jack Whites playing on the old (Stella?) tenor guitar is pretty cool. He has a great band to back him up too.

Here is a nice look at John Hurts fingers.......

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

13. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Enjoyed the concert video very much. Thanks for posting it!
    Chuck

You would probably like American Epic. It's done by T Bone Burnett, with Jack White heavily featured.

Lots of old style playing, including Fats Kaplin on mandolin and several other instruments.
    Some damn good stuff - Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, Los Lobos, Elton John and a lot of much younger American musicians playing roots music.

This program was shown on BBC4 in the UK last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...4-the-sessions
    David A. Gordon