Thread: Tuning a mandocello like an octave mandolin

Default Tuning a mandocello like an octave mandolin

Hi all,

I have a Mandocello right now but I'm not a huge fan of the low C and I was thinking about retuning it to be more like an octave mandolin. I figure this may require getting the proper strings for an octave mandolin which will cause the tension to be different.

My question is, how bad is it for a mandolin to be tuned up to an octave? I'm hesitant to try it out, but so far I find anyone to buy or trade my mandocello so I can buy an octave. If it's going to hurt the instrument then it's not worth it - but if it's not an issue, might be a good idea.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Tuning a mandocello like an octave mandolin

You may have to add a little relief to the neck since the OM tuning will be less tension - so it had better have a truss rod. Also, the lighter strings may not drive the heavy top, unless of course it doesn't have a heavy top... What exactly do you have? If it's a current maker ask him for advice on it.

The G, D and A courses on a mandocello are already tuned like an OM. Moving those all over one course changes tension not one bit. Now you just need to select E strings which are going to be tuned exactly like the high E on a guitar. So depending on your scale a pair of .010 or .011 strings should work fine.

You may have some buzzing from putting smaller strings in larger slots on your nut. Something I don't worry about with zero fret instruments.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

The light e string is all you have to worry about, and you can actually use a guitar string for that, as the scale length is probably pretty close. It's a small problem, though. The frets will be a little bit of a stretch compared to a regular octave, so some of the chord shapes you can pull off on an octave will be tougher on a converted 'cello, but it would still work as an experiment.

You can also change to C G DD AA EE

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    You may have to add a little relief to the neck since the OM tuning will be less tension - so it had better have a truss rod. Also, the lighter strings may not drive the heavy top, unless of course it doesn't have a heavy top... What exactly do you have? If it's a current maker ask him for advice on it.
    I have a Weber Bitterroot cello. It's really nice and I like it a lot - so I'm looking to make sure the change in tension won't mess things up too badly. I may decide I like the cello sound more than OM, but as it stands, the low C's are too low for my taste.

Thanks for all the advice guys - I think I will try this and see what happens. I'll let you know

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I have a Weber cello too, and I doubt you'll have any problems with the tension, those are sturdy beasts. If anything, you may need to beef up the strings to the heaviest possible for the OM tuning to keep the volume up. But, you won't mess anything up on that. Slide them up a notch and see what you think.

Capo.....

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Capo.....
    Capo affects some instruments quite badly; my vocal range means I sometimes have to sing around G and putting a capo on the 5th fret usually ruins the tone of whatever I’m playing. Interestingly enough 2nd fret on my cittern actually improves the sound. I really should find something that I like enough to tune in CGDA and then I’d be happy and un-capo’d...
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....