Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Accident.

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Default Re: My Accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    Glad to hear you're progressing, Bill. I've had 3 shoulder surgeries (no more motorcycles for me!) and p/t is not always fun at all. Be well!
    I'm finding I'm part of a pretty big club. I've run into more people with shoulder issues since my own surgery than I ever imagined I would. One fella in PT had (3) like you and we promptly exchanged views of each other's scars! Sorta like that famous scene from "Jaws". I work for Marshall Music, Rob. Nice to hear from a fellow local mandolinist.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    Bill
    I'm late in expressing my wishes for a speedy recovery, and my best wishes to you.

all your new and lovely worldly goods will be there when you are fully healed
    be patient, don't hurry things, slow is fast (in terms of healing) as one gets on a bit......it takes longer
    Thank you, Steve. You've had lots of close calls yourself and I for one am glad you're here to tell about it!
    I hear ya' about getting on...but I have every intention to continue to get on with both arms.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Sorry to hear of your mishap and, i wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. But, (with 25 years in the realm of public safety, health and education), I've got to ask .... a ladder on steps??

Not to worry too much though, today's surgical procedures coupled with the rehab focused specifically at this type of injury... you'll be back in the saddle before your callouses begin to fade.

best wishes.
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    Sorry to hear of your mishap and, i wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. But, (with 25 years in the realm of public safety, health and education), I've got to ask .... a ladder on steps??
    Fair question. Here's the ladder tool I used when painting that day back in May:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	137198

I've used this pivot tool several times in my own home as well as other paint jobs with no mishaps. Many painters use extension legs for ladders which are even safer. My mistake was using a very old step ladder coupled with the narrow stair tread commonly found in older homes. Plain and simple, I was in a hurry and didn't take the necessary precautions. I also tried to save the carpet below and hung on to the paint instead of jumping to the nearby landing. Lesson learned...the hard way.
    For all my Cafe friends, please read these statistics from the Consumer Product Safety Commission and be safe:
    More than 90,000 people receive emergency room treatment from ladder-related injuries every year
    Elevated falls account for almost 700 occupational deaths annually
    These deaths account for 15% of all occupational deaths
    OSHA believes 100% of all ladder accidents could be prevented if proper attention to equipment and climber training were provided
    Over the last 10 years the amount of ladder-related injuries has increased 50%
    According the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 50% of all ladder-related accidents were due to individuals carrying items as they climbed
    The most common type of ladder-related injury, with 32%, is fractures

I do try to be careful, and whileI have had things that kept m from laying--nothing sounds as serious as that--at least form a not being able to play basis.

Get well quickly...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

5. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    Here's the ladder tool I used when painting that day back in May:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	137198
    The mere sight makes my toes pretzel. One part failing has the whole system collapse.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Had second shoulder surgery one month ago today. Far less painful than correcting the blown rotator cuff in 2015. This time the surgeon relocated the bicep tendon from the glenoid to the head of the humerus, AKA “tenodesis”, to repair a SLAP tear. The good news is that there is virtually no arthritis present and this last surgery should put an end to shoulder pain. PT starts Monday upcoming. Even better news I can pick up a mandolin and play only 30 days post surgery.
    Last edited by Bill Clements; Dec-08-2017 at 10:56pm.

Very good Bill. It’s good to hear back on your progress. Hope your body responds well to the PT as your heart will with your flat pick finding it’s way around again.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

9. The following members say thank you to hank for this post:

Blog Entries

Hey, there is Hank and here is HonketyHank! Glad to hear of your progress, Bill. Keep it up.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

11. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Glad to hear you're seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I have the occasional problem where my limitations have changed a bit but I've gotten along pretty well in the years since my surgery. Hopefully this one will be the last and you can go on and enjoy life.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

===========

I went though a somewhat similar situation for a couple of months, when I had a bad case of trigger finger, which often left me unable to play. It was a good time to do more listening, while contemplating new styles of play and variances of technique . . . this way when I was finally able to get back to playing, I had a whole new table of ideas set in front of me.

15. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Hoping and offering a prayer or two for a good outcome Bill.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

17. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I'm in 2nd week of PT on the right one, can feel worth of it. Good luck .

Thank you, Ken. Glad to hear your PT is working. Having a good therapist and doing your exercises as prescribed makes all the difference.

20. The following members say thank you to Bill Clements for this post:

When I had my accident and then the operation a guy I worked with asked if I was going for PT. I told him I was. Then he says "When I had my operation I went to PT one time and it hurt so bad I stopped going". Then he said "I haven't slept well in 6 years." I couldn't even respond to that.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber