Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me go electric

Hollowbody electrics DO NOT need an access through the back. The entire harness is stuffed into the p.u. cavity, which, even with a small mando p.u., is plenty large. The pots and jack are then fished back into their respective holes, somewhat like building a model ship in a bottle. One can employ a system of guide strings to pull the components. Okay, alright, maybe on a cheapo import job you might as well cut a gaping maw, and make installation easy!
    I believe I do indeed know what you're after (NOT a floating p.u.), and I say go for it! Cut the hole for the p.u.! I recommend either any Bill Lawrence "blade magnet" p.u., or (better yet) a four pole custom-for-mandolin p.u., such as those made by Steve Ryder.
    BTW, that Charlie Christian slides right into the p.u. cavity. Kinda preposterous the idea of removing the back to install. I bought the other Gibson mando p.u. the guy was selling-he asked did I want to make an offer on the C.C. Maybe I will.

Well, there you have it. I think the Charlie Christian is the way to go if the dude will sell it to you at a decent price. Cut the slot & drill the holes for the three Allen screws and two knobs. Guide strings can go through the holes into the mando, then out through the slot & tie on to the pickup assembly to pull it into place.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I have GOT to stop trying to be helpful if I'm going to keep giving out bad info and getting brutally corrected. I will stand by the fact that the easiest way to go electric is with a Dearmond, though.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Kind folks...please, stop your engines! I initially asked for all opinions, experience, thoughts and advice. This thread has done that and more. Mrmando, musicofanatic,and mikeomando, I appreciate each and every diverse thought. # Now that the mando is stripped, almost ready for refinishing, I further my search for a pick-up. This is a process of new learning for me, and a lot of fun as well. Your input has been invaluable and definitely fires the stoke. And mikeo: "groupies", hmmm, deaf ladies in a rest home, perhaps. # Thanks..I'll let you know how she goes. #Rand
    mr.randy

Hi,
    I am a builder and player of violin family #instruments and mando's too. I have just finished my own e mando and it cooks. I made a 5 strig for myself and don'thave any experience with the 8 string acoustic/electric stuff. My interest for the e mando was to play swing stuff and cowboy stuff. Tiny Moore is my hero. It plays more like an electric guitar and has nothing really to do with a mando except for the tuning. The more I try to figure it out the more I realize that very few licks trade well between the two type, extremely fun in any case.I'll try to send a pic of mine. Thanks

pics didn't work. maybe from my private email it will. gvessel@earthlink.net

I'd suggest a Bill Lawrence 2 blade humbucker pickup @~$40.
    [You should buy direct from billlawrence.com--others have sold crappy bootlegged copies of his pickups]
    Five string Electric mandolins all seem to have the same problem: the high strings sound "plinky" and the low C string sounds wobbly. I think the solution is to place the pickup in the neck position and angle it, so the C string end is closer to the bridge. (This would be the opposite of the Telecaster bridge pickup orientation.) I also use a pickup from a Firebird guitar next to the Lawrence. Its a humbucker with a different sound-more attack but not harsh.The Firebird pickup bought used was cheap and has a nice looking silver cover over its twin blades. --Joel

Joel, Thanks for the contact. I just emailed Bill to get more info. I will let all of you know how this little adventure turns out. Randolph
    mr.randy