Thread: Bridges?

Default Bridges?

I have a no name Mandola that a fan/student game me a a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the bridge just snapped last week. Weirdest damned thing.. it was just sitting on the wall and BAM! Bridge gone...

What are some of the best places to buy replacement bridges? I'm in Canada by the way.. I also have a Weber Bitteroot that I'm thinking of replacing the bridge on so it would be cool to get both at once if possible.

I'm not too worried about price either.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give me.

Default Re: Bridges?

Is it a flat top or arch top? Either way, you'll probably have to fit it to the top. Which involves laying sandpaper on the top and gently rubbing the bridge against it.
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theo W. For This Useful Post:

Most people here seem to agree that Cumberland Acoustics bridges are about the best made.

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

mandobassman is correct. You can't do any better than a Cumberland Acoustic bridge. Call Steve, tell him what you have and he will get you what you need. Easy enough!

Randy

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy Linam For This Useful Post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

I would seek out a local luthier. Find out how they deal with these issues. You can likely buy bridges locally; but install/fitting is still required. Unless you are into doing your own repairs, you actually have an installation issue. Someone that can take charge of the whole process would be easier on you.
    Van is a big town; with lots of musical sources. For me, it's similar; but I usually look in the TO direction. Chains like Long and McQuade would be worth a phone call. Word of mouth can find good luthiers. Last I heard Michael Heyden (sp?) was out that way. But that's high end stuff. Find a good local luthier that you can trust. L&M can order stuff in, and usually have their own repairs/restorations people. It's very likely there are several sources in Van. It would be good to know who's who. (for future reference also). (there's always something needed).
    If it were me, I would make my own new bridge according to info from Red Henry (one-piece) bridge experiments. but I like to do my own setup and repair when I can.
    Lots of people say CAbridge is good - you could order that and get it installed/fitted to the top.
    Brekky (sp?) is another good name.
    Some generic bridges might work - may need mods, will need fitting. Some of those are too big/small/wide/narrow, etc. You want maple, rosewood, ebony.
    Some ship their mandolins all over the place just for simple repairs/setups/mods - which amazes me. It's just not cost effective. So there is where I say get yourself a good luthier connection.
    'Live" from ON
    Peace
    Myst.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MysTiK PiKn For This Useful Post:

Re.replacing the bridge on the Weber - i'd definitely replace it with another Weber 'Trad.' bridge.Those bridges have a brass insert in the saddle & will never break. Having said that,you could do worse than to get another one for your mandola,again,for the simple reason that it'll never break. Other than that,i'd go for a Cumberland Acoustic bridge every time.The reason that i'd go for a Weber bridge for your 'Bitteroot' is simply to keep it all 'original' (sort of),
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber trad.bridge.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	135298
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

11. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes? Big believer in the CA bridge. Steve's workmanship is impeccable, the ebony is first-rate, and they are built to very tight tolerances.It'll make a very positive impact on tone and volume. I think it's simply a great product!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Bridges For This Useful Post: