Thread: Newtone Mandocello strings, any experience of these?

Default Newtone Mandocello strings, any experience of these?

Does anyone have any experience of Newtone Mandocello strings? The medium set is 013 to 048, which seems very light CDGA, or am I missing something?
    Cheers Gary

Default Re: Newtone Mandocello strings, any experience of these?

Never heard of the brand, but I do think they are too light.

3. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

Registered User Richard.g.hampton's Avatar

Can't comment on Mandocello, but I do use Newtone Strings on one of my mandolins. Very good strings, in my view, and very good service. If my memory serves, this is also the band that Simon Mayor. That may mean something or nuthin'....just saying.

Richard

I suspect that those gauges are not intended for CGDA tuning. There has been an unfortunate tendency in the UK folk scene recently to call any large-bodied eight-string instrument a "mandocello", but tune them in the same range as the OM. I blame Steve Knightley, who tunes his "mandocello" GDAD, but I've also seen FCGD-tuned instruments called "mandocello".

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Jun-04-2015 at 2:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I suspect that those gauges are not intended for CGDA tuning. There has been an unfortunate tendency in the UK folk scene recently to call any large-bodied eight-string instrument a "mandocello", but tune them in the same range as the OM. I blame Steve Knightley, who tunes his "mandocello" GDAD, but I've also seen FCGD-tuned instruments called "mandocello".

Martin
    Thanks, Martin I was thinking along these lines myself.
    Cheers Gary

An issue with the label of most "mandocello and octave mandolin" string set is the missing scale length. The tuning is listed but not the scale length !!!

I use Newtone on my octave mandolin but order custom sets direct. For everyone's information, I had an email from Newtone recently saying that Malcolm Newton had decided to retire.

Neil Silverman, who has been working with Malcolm for 14 years, is taking over the company and their new contact details from 1/6/2015 are -

Newtone Strings GB
    Unit 12A
    Brookfield Way
    Tansley
    Matlock
    Derbyshire
    DE4 5ND
    Telephone & Fax: 01629 583 769

Old thread I know, but just to update it for future searches: Paul Hathway supplies his Mandocelli with Newtone strings: gauges are 070/046/030/022. As I only acquired my mandocello from him recently I have no experience of other strings to compare them with, but they seem fine (Paul threw in a spare set, so I guess I’ll be using them for a good long time, unless I ever get the chance to try Thomastiks on it). Newtone don’t list the 070 gauge on their site (at least not now in January 2018) so I assume this is a custom set.

Nick
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

I hate their website! I find that an email to Neil telling him what you want is almost as quick - info@newtonestrings.com

I tried them, and they were too light. The long scale of my instrument that the D strings were always out of tune, and all the strings had a "squishy" feeling that failed to project properly. It would be great to come up with a good, less expensive alternative to D'Addarios, but these didn't work for me. I have successfully used Newtone's tenor banjo strings, though!

I think this was raised on another thread. If I remember correctly, the "so-called" mandocello or octave mandolin strings were of entirely inappropriate gauges and available from Eagle music. I think you'll find that Newtone don't list either 'cello or OM strings but they will produce whatever somebody cares to order and print whatever you've ordered them as on the packaging.

I suspect that Eagle (or whoever) orderd sets of what they call "'cello" strings and put them on sale. The problem therefore lies with the retailer and not Newtone. As I've said here and elsewhere, Newtone will generally make whatever you'd like. Eagle will also put together custom sets for you but, the last time I checked, buying them direct was slightly cheaper.

I should add that I have no connection with Newtone other than as a satisfied customer.

I’ve found it easier to go to Newtone directly.

One tip: if you’re ordering a custom set tell them that you need for a longer scale length. I ordered a some strings for my Octave based on a custom mandolin set and they were only just long enough.

There may be a better way of doing it but like Ray I find their website difficult.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I have looked at there web site several times in the past and I just can’t seem to find the bigger gauge single strings?

How big do you want to go? I can see .059 on the site.

They are very responsive if you email them

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Well .070 seems to work quite well on a 25.5” scale.
    I like their strings, I use them on my tenor guitars, they look great too, nice colour!

I also think they are too light. .022 .034 .048 .074 (aa dd GG CC) works fine.
    Holger