Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perplexing harmony question

Default Re: Perplexing harmony question

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    Getting better at using language isn't such a bad goal either.

Skimming this thread, it looks like a lot of confusion is coming from the shorthand of treating "major" as the default key/chord type . . . and then the shorthand of "major" for meaning Ionian (in the modern sense . . and in 12 TET, etc.). "In C"* will mean different things based on your musical background and the context. It's good to be aware of that.

* even ignoring the Terry Riley piece.
    So you're saying there's a difference between the key of C and the key of C major? Is it a commonly accepted difference?
    I'm surprised we haven't gone from replacing the word "key" with the term "tonic center." Because "key" can be obscure as well.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    So you're saying there's a difference between the key of C and the key of C major? Is it a commonly accepted difference?
    I'm surprised we haven't gone from replacing the word "key" with the term "tonic center." Because "key" can be obscure as well.
    Yeah, "key" can be vague, too. It can mean "tonal center" or "tonal center and the associate triad chord" or "a scale" (like in a key signature) . . and probably other things.

There is a commonly accepted difference between "key of C" and "key of C major", but it's also commonly accepted that they mean the same thing. If you say "key of C", some people won't assume one way or the other whether it's C major or C minor. In the same way, some people won't necessarily assume "key of C major" means ionian.
    Last edited by objectsession; Oct-06-2015 at 7:06pm.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    Getting better at using language isn't such a bad goal either.
    I suppose... but I'd rather play music.