Thread: Effin UkeStart (Yep, that's its name!)

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Default Effin UkeStart (Yep, that's its name!)

It's not steel strings and it's not claiming to be a mandolin, but the Effin UkeStart is about as interesting a 4-string electric as I've found. About a week ago, a post appeared on another forum which mentioned the Effin line of guitars,ukuleles and other stuff. After seeing that Butler Music was handling this line, how interesting the instruments sounded and the attractive pricing, I took the plunge and ordered a UkeStart. The instrument arrived yesterday and the fun has started.

Appearance: The instrument is sharp, has a 14 3/4 inch scale and an overall length of 23 inches. That "Fender Strato" appearance of this solid body is clean.. I checked the instrument stem-to-stern and could not find any faults in form, fit or finish. It come stock with black nylon strings, and Butler threw in a set of low-G Aquila Nylguts as part of the deal. Am not a fan of black strings on a black instrument, so am experimenting with strings and looks. Right now have put three white Nylguts and one Aquila Red on the UkeStart for tuning purposes, and will be installing a new set of Aquila Reds when the next string order arrives. I plan to keep it CGDA. Opted for the optional strap (strap buttons are factory installed). A padded gig bag and cable also comes with it.

Playability: Have the UkeStart tuned CGDA (it comes tuned GCEA). The intonation checked out fine. The frets are the correct height and the action is comfortable. There did not appear to be any "set-up touch-ups" needed.

I jacked the UkeStart into a Honeytone amp to make sure everything works (everything did!). I didn't hear any buzzing or other problems. I did experiment with mixing some wound and unwound strings. The wound strings tended to sustain a lot longer through the amp, so I plan to keep unwound strings on the UkeStart for better balance. One of the photos also show the UkeStart with a plug-in amp I got off EBay a while ago for under $15.

Sound: The UkeStart has a 9-volt battery powered preamp to go with the pickup, and it functions well enough. There is a plug for earphones. One can crank up the preamp and let the instrument rock without disturbing the rest of the household. Also, there is a plug to connect an MP3 player, so you can "play along" with your favorite tunes. I checked the plugs on this new instrument and everything worked well.

Uniqueness: This is a very interesting instrument. This instrument will probably become my "airline traveler" amongst other things. As a solid body, am not too concerned it suffering any "overhead bin" fragile-item problems. Also, it's quiet enough without an amp to allow playing in hotel rooms without management being called, as well as play at home when others don't want to hear you (love those earphones!)

Bottom line: Am very glad I bought the Effin UkeStart. I used to have a solid body RISA Stick soprano uke tuned at different times to GDAE and CGDA as a traveler, but never really warmed to it because of its unconventional shape. Warmed up quickly to the UkeStart, as I used to have a MandoBird. The UkeStart is well-made, sized right and priced great. The name notwithstanding (marketeers sure can be creative), it adds a new dimension to the ukulele experience.

For those looking for an at-home 'quiet time" or durable traveler, the Effin UkeStart has potential. Think if it as a 23-inch-long, 4-string, nylon-string MandoBird-type instrument and then the UkeStart's potential can be envisioned. Am glad I took the chance on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	133804 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	188 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	133805 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	195 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	133807Click image for larger version. 

Views:	162 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	133806
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Default Re: Effin UkeStart (Yep, that's its name!)

That's an interesting angle: a nylon-string e mando. I want to try one.

I wonder if they'll copy a P-bass: Introducing the P-uke!

Has that joke been used before, or did I just invent it?

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Soundclips would be awesome.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Another option for a nylon string emando is the Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele which has been available for a number of years.
    Passive piezo with no onboard controls, but a robust output.
    AQUILA 31U CONCERT UKE SET NYLGUT, FIFTHS TUNING CGDA work really well.

5. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Another option for a nylon string emando is the Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele which has been available for a number of years.
    Passive piezo with no onboard controls, but a robust output.
    AQUILA 31U CONCERT UKE SET NYLGUT, FIFTHS TUNING CGDA work really well.
    The Epiphone is a fun instrument, too. The main dufference is in the electronics. The Epiphone has a oassive pickup while the Effin has an active pickuo/preamp combo. I don't remember if the Epihone has an earphone/MP3 capability, but as a passive, probably not. The active electronics are great for notoriously lazy folk like me.

I tried the Aquila 31U strings (got a few sets of them and use them a lot on the acoustic ukes). I removed them because the C and G are wound strings. I was not satisfied with the amplified sustain balance with mixing the wound and unwound strings.

Should have a sound sample up in about 8 hours.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

I just ordered an Epi Uke. (e-puke?) Also ordered 3 of the string sets from that Elderly link.

Seems like an ideal hybrid. I love the sound and feel of classical guitar, except for the fat neck width combined with flat fretboard. I also love my electric guitars, and the amplified 4-string mandolins.

Below is a sound sample link I recorded earlier today on an iPad Mini with Sound Recorder app. The sample is a three-parter. The UkeStart is strung with unwound Aquila NylGut strings tuned CGDA (reentrant C).

First part of sample is the UkeStart unamped, so you hear what it sounds like without any boost. The sound level was set for max pickup, so no comparison to volume from the second part can be made. The UkeStart was about 12-inches from the iPad when the recording was made.

Second part of sample is the UkeStart amped with a HoneyTone 1-watt portable battery amp. The amp level again was set for max pickup and the Amp was about three feet from the iPad. Preamp settings were at midrange and the amp volume was at about one-third. The high-low balance controls on the UkeStart and HoneyTone were mid-range.

Third part of sample is the UkeStart amped with a Joyo 1Watt plug-in mini amp. The high-low-vol controls of the Ukestart was high and vol at 1/3rd, and low at mid-midrange. The amp is simply on-off.

Was going to do a sample with my ten-watter, but it's out of commission (got a short somewhere inside).

With a decent amp the result should sound pretty good. The 1-watt amps are just "convenience" amps with marginal reproduction. What I got out of the amp results were decent across-the-board string pickup and no distortion that I could link to the instrument. Amping nylon strings versus steel is another story, as is amping nylon wound versus nylon unwound.

https://soundcloud.com/steveztv/effi...art-hallelujah

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	142 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	133846
    ...Steve

9. The following members say thank you to Steve Zawacki for this post:

Which Aquila Reds set do you use for CGDA tuning with no wound strings? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    Which Aquila Reds set do you use for CGDA tuning with no wound strings? Thanks.
    Aquila Red Series Concert Low G Set, 86U for this. The G and C get transposed, resulting in a "reentrant C C4-G3-D4-A4" tuning.

I also normally order an extra single string low-G (#71U) as the low-G seems the most delicate).
    ...Steve

12. The following members say thank you to Steve Zawacki for this post:

Jacob 

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stokes View Post
    That's an interesting angle: a nylon-string e mando. I want to try one.

I wonder if they'll copy a P-bass: Introducing the P-uke!

Has that joke been used before, or did I just invent it?
    I think you just regurgitated it.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have a nylon strung Epiphone Les Paul strung as a emando. It is great for practice and sounds good through my Fender Sidekick.
    2022 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo