Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Strings ?

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Default Re: Open Strings ?

I play with myself a lot. No, not THAT way. Not in public, anyhow. But I'm one of them singer-songwriter-folksy types you've seen playing on streetcorners or annoying the relatives at family gatherings. I'm mostly unaccompanied. On mando, I necessarily depend on open stings for drones, ringing, resonance, filling-out the chords, etc. Double-stops and drones are my standard.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    not THAT way.
    There goes my explanation for the uncomfortable playing posture of your avatar...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

3. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    When I play classical, I've been told open strings are a no-no because the music is usually played without the ringing string under or over the other notes.
    I'm not so sure that's generally true even for classical mandolin players. It certainly is the common rule for classical violin players, not only because of the difference in tone but also because you can't play vibrato on an open string. Mandolin teachers and soloists with a strong violin background are unlikely to play open strings except when they are aiming for a particular effect. However, my impression is that both historically and in contemporary classical practice, there is much more acceptance of open strings on mandolin than on violin. But preferences do certainly vary.

I personally play with a lot of open strings even on classical or baroque pieces, but will go to closed positions when the open string tone clashes in the context, e.g. because of a different tone quality or because it rings out longer than the note value.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; May-07-2015 at 8:45am.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

it's all in the right hand, so it doesn't really matter. . .

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Oh I see what you mean. Yes I agree, forcing yourself to play everything without open strings, as an exercise, makes you a better a better player. Yes absolutely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....