Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard do you hit the string?

I recently saw a couple truly great players and they seemed to be playing much, much harder than I do. #I've watched Thile play from maybe the second row and he seems to have a much lighter touch. #What is your preference and why?
    What a long, strange trip its been.

Dan Linden

i have not seen thile play, but it sounds like he doesnt attack the string very hard, a product of excellent technique, no doubt. most pickers with that 'glassy' tone like he has have a very light touch.

it just depends on your style as to which attack to use. look at classical violinist, they have numerous bow stokes to achieve the sound and attack needed for a certain phrase or piece. no fiddle player could just get by with a detache ("one note, one bow stoke, the scientific way to play the fiddle" - john hartford) bow stroke....it takes em all.

it seems that the instrumentalist have that light touch / fast action, while the BG boys have the hammer, which you NEED when in a jam with a cracking 5-string.

i am one of those that likes that power in a heavy attack, so i hit the string pretty 'hard' - its not banging or beating the #### out of it, its just what use to be called a full rest stroke. in the days before amplification, most acoustic players used the rest stroke and it was the main pick attack found in all the classic mando/guitar methods from the turn of the century up til the late 60's. the power comes from a full wrist attack and pushes thru the string for maximum vibration.

the light-clean-fast attack seems to come more from the hand, i dont use that, so someone else will have to give a description.

Gernerally I have a pretty hard hit but I make sure I have enough room left to hit it even harder or lighter. I think how hard you hit should vary during every break you take. I like to hit some notes harder or softer than other when taking a break to get the emphasis I want to enable the character of the melody... or try too.

Yes, Thile has a very light touch, and his action is low, low, low. He handed me his mando one time and I buzzed the G string without even trying.

I think of bluegrass as being played with a heavy attach. It always sounds to me like Bill Monroe leaned on his instrument with a real heavy touch and since lots of BG players use him as the standard I think it carries over to some extent. Not to mention the fact that in BG the mando has to be heard over banjo, fiddle etc.

Personally, I like to practice both. There is a richness to the tone when you lean on it that I love but if I always play with that heavy right hand the material starts to all sound the same and I (and anyone listening) just start to tune it out. IMHO, mixing it up makes for more interesting music.

What was it that WSM told Ricky Skaggs? #"Whip it like a mule." #I love that story. #He whipped it, too.

I tend to resemble that remark much of the time, because I love to play Mr. Bill's music. #But I do vary my attack according to the mood of the song. #I will never have as light and precise a touch as Thile or Steffey - I think there's a lot going on with the left hand as well in their styles. #They don't seem to let their mandolins ring, and articulate each note with extreme precision. #IMO.
    Clark Beavans

What do you guys think of the way Simon Mayor handles this? Listen to that guy. He has just amazing precision and clarity in his execution, like on every single note. Yet he can fly all over the fretboard. That's what really is impressive, to me anyway-- the ability to play fast, complex, yet melodic pieces, and to maintain almost perfect notation at all times. Without losing the "musicality" of the effort. ... Am I making any sense?
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

At a workshop with Simon Mayor, he showed us that he also uses a really thin pick. The sound was more quiet, but amazing nevertheless.
    Jom

One of the things I also noticed was that they seemed to get more 'sound' with the heavier hand - that the mandolin came to life , not just that it was louder.

Dan Linden

Really depends on what song im doing. If its a real fast upbeat song i will go all out and let her ring. If its slower i will play quite and try to get the full tone released.

Quote Originally Posted by
    What do you guys think of the way Simon Mayor handles this? #Listen to that guy. #He has just amazing precision and clarity in his execution, like on every single note. #Yet he can fly all over the fretboard. #That's what really is impressive, to me anyway-- the ability to play fast, complex, yet melodic pieces, and to maintain almost perfect notation at all times. #Without losing the "musicality" of the effort. #... Am I making any sense?
    Yes it makes sense and Simon is amazing!

I wish I could get away with a lighter attack at a jam. I'm 40 bpm's faster and twice as clean, just can't be heard. Playing hard=tension for me.
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

I was at a workshop quite a few yrs ago with Chris Thile and he was playing maybe five feet in front of me without a mike and I could hardly hear him - On the flip side he's always miked when he plays live...
    keith madison

J. Mark, you always make sense. At least this time <g>.
    Always enjoy your posts, and I see you're right up there on frequency. Is this being done on billable time to your clients?

As to the topic, I think if you're striving to become a really competent player, you have to know how to do it all- hit it hard when you need to, lay back and do the light touch. When practicing, I'm all over the place based on my thoughts of the song at the time. I think the hardest part for me is the Monroe downstroke stuff- I'd rather play complicated jazz progressions, melody or lead, than play Mr. Bill's trademark. Back to practicing............

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

I recently saw a couple truly great players and they seemed to be playing much, much harder than I do. I've watched Thile play from maybe the second row and he seems to have a much lighter touch.
    So from the aikido perspective, who is using ki and who is muscling it?

NH

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

[QUOTE]So from the aikido perspective, who is using ki and who is muscling it?

If there is one mandolin player who is using ki it is now doubt Sam the Man- what I hear in his music is pure life force. However, ki and muscle is not the same as soft/ hard attack. I hear a lot of ki in David Grismans playing also and I´ve been told he likes to whip it too- but then again, Sam is not as loud playing unamplified as you might think and he uses a thin pick.
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Hey, thanks, Dale. And yes, of course, everything I do gets billed to someone. What good would a law license be, otherwise.

Now, let's see, where's your address....
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Good answer Klaus. #Unlike some, I understand that one cannot deduct ki from any human endeavor. #That's nonsense, like telling someone to stop breathing or makes one's heart stop. #So that said, the hard attack and the soft are the same thing only varying in pounds-per-square-inch; my point was that the actual mandolin seemed to have a better, stronger TONE when they played than when I did. #Thile's Dudd is so sweet and responsive and rich played soft that I can't believe it is really so simple as hard vrs. soft.

Dan Linden

Klaus mentioned David Grisman liking to "whip it". This made me think of the Tone Poems CD with Tony Rice. This CD and David Grier's "Got the Room to myself" completely changed the way I want to approach music. There are lots of times on Tone Poems where you can hear the musicians breathing under the music. This sounds like they are playing very relaxed and no louder than necessary. The musical ideas just keep flowing without the need to hit the listener over the head with volume and speed even though they are capable of providing both volume and speed all night long.

I think a musician should be able to know when to whip it and when to pull back on the reins for some thoughtful discourse.

Unlike some, I understand that one cannot deduct ki from any human endeavor.
    My reference to "ki" was in the sense of finnessed delivery of a knife-hand or palm heel strike, rather than as "lifeforce". # While the public-at-large may be impressed by Roy Clark's grimacing and straining while shrugging off a true monster like Jerry Donahue or James Burton, the very appearance of the latter not seeming to be doing that much (in spite of the stuff which is coming out of the instrument) is a sure indicator (for me) of how high level a player they are. It illustrates something my sensei often says: "The more you see on the outside, the less going on inside." #

Something I said on another thread a day or two ago:

BTW, re: Vince Gill and Marty Stuart. #I've got several of those PBS bluegrass specials on videotape. The ones where there may 6 or more mandolin players onstage on the same number. No slight on the "name" mando players on those show, but from what I heard and saw, my reaction was that Vince Gill and Marty Stuart were the best of the batch. (And Big Hair Marty, in general, has always gotten on my nerves, but he's really got the stuff.) IMO, it's all their guitar work which gives them a wider palette of playing techniques and #vocabulary which gives them the advantage. And Vince Gill is a great guitar player even though his vocalist/frontman image is how most folks think of him. - NH
    Perhaps having been a player 3 times longer than doing m.a., the way I think re: application of m.a. principles to playing music is different than someone in a reversed situation.

NH

[QUOTE] "The more you see on the outside, the less going on inside." #

i like that!

Then Hendrix is the exception, no?

Then Hendrix is the exception, no?
    Not really. In fact it illustrates it. Cameramen and TV loved the theatrics because of the visuals, but notice that when Hendrix gets down to really playing the cameras almost invariably wander off of him to film the hippies dancing or banners fluttering in the sky. Why? they got bored filming a guy just standing there playing. Evidently, from what I've read, Jimi was getting tired of having to keep doing the stage schtick the public kept expecting. (I doubt if there would have been any of that stuff if he'd lived to do something with Miles Davis).

NH

Other than a performer's obvious enjoyment of the experience I have never been too impressed by the 'angst' in a performance. #When I demonstrate, when any shihan demonstrates, it is with an calm and smiling demeanor. #I can't remember anyone I admire ever twisting up in a grimace while executing a technique. #I believe it is the same while performing music. #"Make it look easy", my first guitar teacher told me.

I like that a lot. He also told me that it was vital to make it appear I was really enjoying myself during a performance, no matter how many times I had done the same tune.

Wow, talking about hijacking a thread.

Dan Linden

hmmm...so much of his theatrics was 'forced' upon him, living up to the myth of the fire-lighting guy, playing with this teeth, doing the whammy bar shammy. Maybe.

Another guy I think can really play but also does the gymnastics is that guy who dressed in school boy clothes, Angus?

Blog Entries

Maybe you are all talking about being relaxed and focused, but in martial arts terms. It is true for me that when I can relax and focus my playing is much better. But usually when I'm at a gig or a jam, I'm so in the moment that it's hard to take a mental step back and watch myself playing enough to tell myself to relax.

upshot: I hit the strings too hard under perceived pressure to perform. I gotta learn to relax.