Thread: Report Substantiates North Korea Musical Instrument Concerns

Default Re: Report Substantiates North Korea Musical Instrument Concerns

Music reminds me of Lawrence Welk Show.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Music reminds me of Lawrence Welk Show.
    Ah yes that's the one... I knew it reminded me of something 1960s but I couldn't quite place it. Thanks!

These videos are so creepy. Not only do the players play their instruments and sing in unison, but their every gesture is in unison.... every breath, body angle, tilt of the shoulders, facial expression, all in synch together, all robotically orchestrated and executed. Even the kids do it. Shudder. These are human beings, I think, aren't they?

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    These videos are so creepy. Not only do the players play their instruments and sing in unison, but their every gesture is in unison.... every breath, body angle, tilt of the shoulders, facial expression, all in synch together, all robotically orchestrated and executed. Even the kids do it. ...
    One wonders what their sheet music looks like... perhaps there are special new symbols or abbreviations for each different type of body movement & facial expression, written right into the sheet music...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    It is called an oungum and was invented by Kim Jong-Il when he was in college in the 1960s to be the North Korean national instrument. It is related to the Bipa, a Korean instrument like the Chinese pipa or the Japanese biwa.

Here’s a polka-like tune we could all learn on Mandolin

Actually, it is sort of an intriguing instrument. Do you know how it is tuned? There is very little about it on the web, or in any books on Asian instruments that I've looked at. And unlike the pipa or zhong ruan (and the so-called moon-guitar) it apparently has a flat fretboard. Interesting.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    One wonders what their sheet music looks like... perhaps there are special new symbols or abbreviations for each different type of body movement & facial expression, written right into the sheet music...
    ---:|
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

8. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    ---:|
    Lol! Good one, Bertram.