Thread: 1915 Gibson K-4 Mandocello on ebay

Default 1915 Gibson K-4 Mandocello on ebay

Thoughts?
    I don't know enough about them but it looks right to me.
    thanks
    Barry

Default Re: 1915 Gibson K-4 Mandocello on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-Gibson-...-/351339548947

Looks absolutely wonderful and underpriced to me. If I had the funds right now I'd have snapped it up. It won't hang about.

Beautiful.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

$12.5K underpriced? Anyway, the H2 dola at $3K looks nice also.

not many f style man'cellos around. sure would be nice but too much for moi

That's about "THE" price---if someone like Mandolin Bros. had it it might be listed for something like that price but would have the added protection of buying from a dealer with a proven track record of backing what they sell --sometimes priceless. I wouldn't call that an online auction deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    That's about "THE" price---if someone like Mandolin Bros. had it it might be listed for something like that price but would have the added protection of buying from a dealer with a proven track record of backing what they sell --sometimes priceless. I wouldn't call that an online auction deal.
    So hard to price those very desirable albeit very rare instruments. I had a chance to buy one for about $5K in 1993 but passed on it. Maybe I thought THE price would go down later? LOL!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

8. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

I think that one has been listed in the past for even more money. Those have big slugger necks back in '15.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Yah, they list 'em but do they sell them? I think that the number of Gibson mandolin family instruments that get listed on ebay but never find a buyer is at an all time high right now!

Blog Entries

Yah, they list 'em but do they sell them? I think that the number of Gibson mandolin family instruments that get listed on ebay but never find a buyer is at an all time high right now!
    That is kind of my impression as well. Gibson mandolins are not exactly flying off the self on the MC Classifieds either. There are always buyers like me who insist on Gibson for no good reason other then I've always had them and I love the heritage and the tradition. Not every mandolin buyer is that irrational! LOL!

On this one there are 104 watchers but not a single offer so far.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Buy-it-now's come down to $12K. I'm not sure selling a "niche" instrument in that price range is gonna work on eBay. Guess it'd go to a collector rather than a player -- whaddaya think?

I'd love it, but $12K's a lot to send off, sight unseen and strings unplayed...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Buy-it-now's come down to $12K. I'm not sure selling a "niche" instrument in that price range is gonna work on eBay. Guess it'd go to a collector rather than a player -- whaddaya think?

I'd love it, but $12K's a lot to send off, sight unseen and strings unplayed...
    Yes it is a big leap of faith.

One thing I will say is that this seller would give me some confidence however.

The instrument is freshly strung up with new strings, the pictures clear and informative are well thought out. This seems to be a seller who knows what a mandocello is and what a buyer would want to know about it. But maybe this is an item for the MC Classifieds.

In addition the seller has over a 1000 feed back comments 100% of which are positive and most of which (from my quick look) seem to come from buyers.

I wonder what all the scratches around the big scroll on the headstock are all about? The patched hole is unusual too.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Apr-03-2015 at 8:55am.
    Bernie
    ____

14. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

They have a web site-- Neal's Guitars in Broomal(sp) Pa. Had a store,closed it and went completely internet. They sell a lot of vintage electrics it appears. A picture of Neal with Les Paul. They claim to not have had any returns in decades! You would think that dealing with discerning and picky musicians that someone would return an instrument, not because there was anything really wrong with it but because it wasn't what they really were looking for. I've picked up some really terrific instruments as I bet most of us have but for me it didn't do much --even Loars-- or maybe it was after all too much like something I already have to justify buying it. The only reason I would want to keep it then would be that I got it really cheap! From what I could see of their website they aren't necessarily some place that you would consider cheap--- 12K is not cheap!

Looks like the instrument had an impact thus the hole patch. There is also a grain crack nearby that was probably from the same hit. Not a good looking repair for an instrument of this value and history.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

They have a web site-- Neal's Guitars in Broomal(sp) Pa. Had a store,closed it and went completely internet. They sell a lot of vintage electrics it appears. A picture of Neal with Les Paul. They claim to not have had any returns in decades! You would think that dealing with discerning and picky musicians that someone would return an instrument, not because there was anything really wrong with it but because it wasn't what they really were looking for. I've picked up some really terrific instruments as I bet most of us have but for me it didn't do much --even Loars-- or maybe it was after all too much like something I already have to justify buying it. The only reason I would want to keep it then would be that I got it really cheap! From what I could see of their website they aren't necessarily some place that you would consider cheap--- 12K is not cheap!
    Could the "no return in decades" be related to their "no returns" policy?
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Pretty good bonk on the side there. Or is that just the finish cracking?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Inspite of the impact to the sides, the instrument looks great in the photos. I got to play David Grisman's personal K4 last year at the Symposium and it was a blast to play. It made me re-think some of my own playing and fingering because of the long reach and the big voice. I wouldn't mind getting me one of those. Not that I have that kind of money, but it's hard to imagine dropping that amount on an instrument that I probably won't be playing every single day. Oh and the no return policy definitely make me stay away.

If you're in the market for a K4, I'd look instead at the one for sale at vintage-instruments.com, which, besides being undamaged, is also a Loar-era instrument with a truss rod (not to mention $1,000 cheaper):

http://vintage-instruments.com/photos/30220z.jpg

21. The following members say thank you to Nat for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    If you're in the market for a K4, I'd look instead at the one for sale at vintage-instruments.com, which, besides being undamaged, is also a Loar-era instrument with a truss rod (not to mention $1,000 cheaper):

http://vintage-instruments.com/photos/30220z.jpg
    Now that is awesome! I don't know for sure but I think that is the first post-1921 K-4 I've ever seen. I have a 1937 K-1 and the neck on the truss rod mandocellos is so much nicer to work with. No double flowerpot though!
    Bernie
    ____

Those are just so....elegant! I want one and don't care if I ever play it! When I was a kid, my father and I went to Greektown in Chicago and I asked a guy about how much a bouzouki might cost. His reply...
    "Bouzouki to play or bouzouki to look at?" That rings I. My head any time I see a pretty instrument which I cannot play!Opa!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Hello,this is not a joke.I have visited several forums over the years & never joined one before.I have never experienced a forum like this before.The others were usually vintage electric guitar related.So...I had to read every message related to my Gibson 1915 K-4. I could not believe that each and every one of you spoke with dignity and respect ......just like real adults & not like the other forums of a high % of immature comments and disrespect.The worst thing one of you said was "Could the "no return in decades" be related to their "no returns" policy?"
    I wanted to address everything you discussed.
    First of all we lowered the price to $10,000.00
    The patched hole was from a jack input the original owner put in for a strange pick up.
    There were no hits or cracks or etc.
    Fact-we had lots of returns before 2000.Since then, we offer better info etc before we sell a guitar over the ph & if you actually read our return policy -we do offer 24 hr,but have not used it in over 15 years.Thank you for making my day.I expected to read the usual rude obnoxious comments on this forum & not a one.Take care from ,neal Gallop www.nealsGuitars.com

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,this is not a joke.I have visited several forums over the years & never joined one before.I have never experienced a forum like this before.The others were usually vintage electric guitar related.So...I had to read every message related to my Gibson 1915 K-4. I could not believe that each and every one of you spoke with dignity and respect ......just like real adults & not like the other forums of a high % of immature comments and disrespect.The worst thing one of you said was "Could the "no return in decades" be related to their "no returns" policy?"
    The patched hole was from a jack input the original owner put in for a strange pick up.
    Fact-we had lots of returns before 2000.Since then, we offer better info etc before we sell a guitar over the ph & if you actually read our return policy -we do offer 24 hr,but have not used it in over 15 years.Thank you for making my day.I expected to read the usual rude obnoxious comments on this forum & not a one.Take care from ,neal Gallop www.nealsGuitars.com

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I have never responded in a forum before.I wanted to respond to each of you that commented. Maybe that is not how it works.I am not computer savvy.I hope you each get my response.Maybe it's because you are all acoustic folks,but it really was nice to see you all be so kind.take care,neal www.nealsGuitars.com