Thread: Crafter Mandolin Bridge lifting up...Fixed

Default Crafter Mandolin Bridge lifting up...Fixed

I purchased a nice Crafter Acoustic-electric mandolin at a great price with a bridge that was warped and lifting up. A small amount of curvature with the top was also occurring.

Lifting is a typical issue with these Crafter permanently mounted bridges. The idea of being able to use standard ball end strings is nice, but this set up ....not so much.

So... to me anyway, it an easy fix and this may have been done before, but it was a first time for me. Add an appropriate tailpiece and play away!

Even though the Crafter is built like a tank I chose a tailpiece that had a good amount of mounting surface area so the load was spread out. This tailpiece also gave me a good string angle off the bridge. I recently built a Octave mandolin using the same method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	132015

Once the original strings were removed the bridge straighten out nicely and the top has almost reset back to its original position. The bridge needed the string grooves to be cut deeper as the tailpiece spread out the strings a bit.

The result... a much nicer sounding Mandolin with more sustain and even sweeter sounding when plugged in. I will keep an eye on the top to see how it likes the different string pressure.

I enjoy giving these things a second life.

Later players!

Name:	DSC_0015b.JPG 
Views:	542 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	132013

Name:	DSC_0011a.JPG 
Views:	695 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	132014
    Fender FM52se
    Crafter M75 AM
    2001 Hondo A4 (Local Company to me)
    MK L-Plus (Yes, I do like this MK)
    Octave Mandolin project using a 3/4 Scale Guitar

I make-a me a-noise on d Mandolin....

Default Re: Crafter Mandolin Bridge lifting up...Fixed

Very nice looking mandolin after the "fix". I love the guitar look alike shape.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

That's one way i didn't think of, i bought a ovation with the same problem, i reglued the bracing inside , which worked, but if it happens again i might try your way.

I like the Crafters how does yours play?
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    That's one way i didn't think of, i bought a ovation with the same problem, i reglued the bracing inside , which worked, but if it happens again i might try your way.

I like the Crafters how does yours play?
    It plays well and of course it has a different sound which I do like. I also like a larger fret which this does not have so I am fumbling with it a bit at the moment. I also only had nickel strings in the "string bin" today (purchased for a Fender with a guitar type pickup) so it is hard to say just yet.

I will let all the wood settle out,see how it goes and then put on a bronze set.

Ed
    Fender FM52se
    Crafter M75 AM

Does bronze strings sound warmer than steel strings ?

It is hard for me to describe soooo I found this on a web page that had compared them on the same instrument. I do agree with their assessment. Both are great strings, it just depends on the instrument and the sound you are looking for.

"Nickel-wrapped strings are sweeter and quieter. Phosphor-bronze strings are much louder and brighter, with higher highs and lower lows"

Ed
    Fender FM52se
    Crafter M75 AM

Hi there
    Bit of a zombie thread for my first post but...

I have the exact same problem with my Crafter, also the bowl back has split from the top at the base of the instrument.

I was planning on following the same method for my fix with a bridge fixed to the bottom which should solve both problems?

Just to clarify it still sounds nice and strong through the pickup output- I use it plugged in with my band! Was also considering putting an active preamp in to round out and boost sound too- can't find any mango-specific ones so was planning on using one designed for a ukulele?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

I'm new to this forum and have been repairing and restoring a few old mandolins, but I'm not sure of something and was hoping someone could educate me. What are the 2 small round holes on the face of some old instruments. They seem to have a plastic "sleeve" or something in the hole.