Thread: Thomastik 174 M+W

Default Thomastik 174 M+W

Finally getting off my butt and ordering a new set of Thomastik for the 20" octave. When I look at the details of the two different sets the only gauge difference is with the A string....which is larger on the lighter set?? Although when you look at the pound pressure it is a little lighter with the W set. I'm wondering what the real world difference is in these two strings. The 174M are cheaper. But at these prices I am trying to avoid buying one of each just to experiment.
    174M
    Gauge Lbs
    15 17.64
    21 17.20
    34 15.40
    49 15.43

174W
    Gauge Lbs
    15 16.98
    24 15.43
    34 14.33
    49 13.67

Default Re: Thomastik 174 M+W

Nobody uses either of these sets of strings? Hmmmm....guess I will be the guinea pig then.......one set of medium coming up..... just because they are cheaper.

Default Re: Thomastik 174 M+W

A VERY first impression of the strings after just a couple of minutes of playing. Put it back in the case to let them stretch a little more. Do not seem as bright as the Pearce. Need to wait a bit to make a final call on that......but definitely not as much zing/metal bright sound. I will miss that nice boom of the G string from the Pearce. But ooooohhhhh if want to reduce the sound of fingers on the strings.....nice. Now if there were some flat wound strings that had a bit more brightness to them for a lower cost than the Thomastik'sI think that is what I would be buying. I also got bit nervous with the D string wondering how close it was going to be with length....no problem, but I don't think I would risk putting them on a 22".

4. The following members say thank you to fredhicks for this post:

jmp