Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chop turns Sock

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chop turns Sock

I don't think of BG rhythm as 1-and-2-and but more as 1-and-a-2-and-a-and (except on very fast numbers that we don't really need). How best to achieve that feel in a group is a matter of listening. It's up to the guitar to supply the bounce and the mandolin to add something on top of that. In other words: 1) use your ears, 2) use your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    In other words: 1) use your ears, 2) use your imagination.
    When I listen to some early Bill Monroe, my ears hear him almost playing stuff that a Dixieland banjo would do...the simpler chop style seemed to evolve from that.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

There were several changes in Monroe's music from 1946 on. The early band (with Flatt&Scruggs) had Howard Watts on bass, with a lot of 4/4, and Monroe twinning with the fiddle, or playing behind Flatt's vocals. When both the fiddle and mandolin play behind Flatt it gets a bit busy. In the early Decca years Joel Price often switched from 2/2 to 4/4 on instrumental solos. Ernie Newton (on records) stuck mainly to a 2/2, emphasized by that slap gadget of his on the offbeat. Also, Monroe took to singing solo lead on the verses of most songs. I believe these changes brought about a cleaning up and a simplified role for the mandolin. But really there is a bit more to Monroe´s rhythm playing than just chopping on the offbeat.

And I do believe on slower numbers one should strive for a more even, more fourish, groove.