Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat blankets, bags of BB's and what-not

F-style Apostate

Default Heat blankets, bags of BB's and what-not

I need to take a neck off of a guitar- it's a bolt on neck (Breedlove), so that part is easy, but I have to free the glued fingerboard extension.

I've always been somewhat interested in silicone heating blanket technology, but am not sure about diving into that just to remove one neck from a guitar. I'm doing this for myself rather than being in the biz.

Ebay carries products by Keenovo that actually look pretty good, especially when compared to the price that LMI and others are asking. I can get a blanket sized for fingerboard extensions from them for $20.00 here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEENOVO-Guit...3D271489594763

It's 40 watts, so the dimmer switch I have on hand should work just fine to control the heat. I'm also in no hurry, so getting it by slow boat from the Orient is not a problem.

Something else I have on hand is a sealing iron for the shrinkable coverings used on RC aircraft. It has a built in rheostat, and goes to about 450 F. Not as large as the extension, but would probably work. I've included a picture for those of you not familiar with this device.

Finally, it occurred to me that a sock full of BB's heated in the oven to maybe 350 F might just do the trick for the cost of the BB's- about five bucks.

Whattaya think? Suggestions or advice appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iron_1.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	131074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iron_2.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	131075  

Default Re: Heat blankets, bags of BB's and what-not

I have a heating blanket setup and it is great. In fact, I just used in on a Martin neck reset. That said, I don't think I would bother for a one off job either.

Over BBs, I would go with a piece of steel (preferable thick). A dense brick may work as well. You should be able to find something cheap/free.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4324.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	131076
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4323.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	131077
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

F-style Apostate

Robert-

I like the sockets for holding it down. What is that you are using as a spatula to get under the extension?

Rick

That is Stewmac's new (pricey) Bridge Spatula. I had been using some putty knives, but have been doing more and more guitar work and thought I would give this a try. It really does work great. It is just heavy enough I can apply a good amount of pressure without it bending and the wooden part is perfect for pushing on with the palm. So aside from the price, a thumbs up! I did sharpen the edge a bit.

Same as the heating blanket, I wouldn't spend the money for a one off job. For a shop tool, I love it.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I have heard of using sandbags for that purpose, tube sock filled with sand popped in the oven for half an hour, certainly cheap enough?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

just not a dirty tube sock... that would rate up there with cooking hide glue and cutting bone nuts.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Ewwww!
    Timothy F. Lewis

just saying! hehe
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I have heard of using sandbags for that purpose, tube sock filled with sand popped in the oven for half an hour, certainly cheap enough?
    I thought of that too. I would definitely use a clean sock. LOL

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Easiest way is to use a heat lamp, or some kind of spotlight that puts out a fair amount of heat, especially if you already have got one. Mask off the area you don't want heated with white cardboard and maybe some foil as well and turn it on. I have removed guitar fingerboard extensions as well as guitar bridges using this method.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post
    Finally, it occurred to me that a sock full of BB's heated in the oven to maybe 350 F might just do the trick for the cost of the BB's- about five bucks.
    I don't really have any alternative methods to propose, but I will chime in that 350 sounds a little aggressive to me. I'd maybe heat that hosiery up to 250 for starters. Granted, everything will cool down from 250 without an active heat source, but use caution at first and see what that fingerboard does when you put that amount of heat to it. Some of them. . . no problem! Others. .. .El Scorcho!!

Is it a US made Breedlove or one of the Chinese models? If it is US, they use titebond in an M shape under the fingerboard extension. Watlow is your best bet for silicone heat blankets. They make 1000s of different models and an extension sized one will set you back under $20. LMI sells the same product, rebadged with an annoying plug for double the price. Not all heat blankets are the same.

j.
    www.condino.com

I've one this with a regular brick or even a piece of brick just the right length. I put the brick on a hot plate on long enough for the top of it to feel fairly hot, lay it on the fingerboard, put my hand in the sound hole periodically until I feel some warmth then start working a very thin blade under. Works great.

Put the brick in the sock before you put it on the board?
    Timothy F. Lewis

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
    I've one this with a regular brick or even a piece of brick just the right length. I put the brick on a hot plate on long enough for the top of it to feel fairly hot, lay it on the fingerboard, put my hand in the sound hole periodically until I feel some warmth then start working a very thin blade under. Works great.
    That's a good idea. I have one of those point and shoot infrared thermometers that would tell me what the temperature of the brick is and prevent scorching. I should think that you could put the brick directly on the extension because it'd be touching frets rather than wood. The frets might even help with heat transfer, but maybe not so much if the finger board arch extends into the extension.

BTW- these IR thermometers are handy tools to have around the shop, within certain limits. Want to know how hot your hide glue is? Point and shoot. How warm are those surfaces you're going to put the HG on? Point and shoot. I guess the possibilities aren't really limitless, but there's a lot you can use it for. Fun to play with too. I got mine on Ebay for something like $11.00 shipped. It's the same unit that you can pay $30.00 or more for from other sources.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR_thermometer.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	131097  

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    Easiest way is to use a heat lamp
    I second Peter's suggestion. I use an infrared heat bulb (easily found at the hardware store for about 10 bucks) in an adjustable desk lamp. Cut a piece of cardboard to cover the parts you don't want heated up, and put foil on top that. I keep the lamp about 12 inches over the spot for 10 minutes or so, and then use a cake icing spatula to do the separating. It works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Champlin View Post
    I second Peter's suggestion. I use an infrared heat bulb (easily found at the hardware store for about 10 bucks) in an adjustable desk lamp. Cut a piece of cardboard to cover the parts you don't want heated up, and put foil on top that. I keep the lamp about 12 inches over the spot for 10 minutes or so, and then use a cake icing spatula to do the separating. It works great.
    I am a third for a lamp, i just put a 100 watt incandescent bulb in my bench light a place it over the fingerboard ext. I use thin cardboard covered in foil to keep the top from overheating. Been doing this for 20+ years and has always worked just fine and cheap.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'll 3rd the 100w in an adjustable desk lamp / palate knife. Just don't leave it unattended.

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Dobe View Post
    I'll 3rd the 100w in an adjustable desk lamp / palate knife. Just don't leave it unattended.
    You guys tried to find any 100 watt incandescent bulbs lately? They've just about disappeared from the store shelves. It's getting hard to even find 60 watt bulbs.

I believe that the government (or someone) is trying to move us towards more energy efficient lighting.

That may be why some folks are using the infra red bulbs.
    And, yes the government is phasing out incandescent bulbs, started with high wattage and is dropping one wattage every year or two.
    100 watt bulbs are going the way of single flush toilets, down the tube (so to speak)
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post
    You guys tried to find any 100 watt incandescent bulbs lately? They've just about disappeared from the store shelves. It's getting hard to even find 60 watt bulbs.

I believe that the government (or someone) is trying to move us towards more energy efficient lighting.
    I bought a couple dozen before they were off the shelves and don't use them for anything else.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

F-style Apostate

I have an articulated arm type light on my work bench that uses a 100 watt halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs put out a lot of heat- maybe more than incandescent. Perhaps I'll give that a try.

I use an indoor 120w spot or flood lamp. It sits so close to the fingerboard it doesn't matter much which you use.

Adrian Minarovic

I use 100W bulb as well. They were phased out here in EU two or three years ago, but they were quickly back on market dubbed as "heat source for aquarium". (since many aquarium owners had systems dependant on these bulbs as heat supplies).
    So all the ecology thing is going down the... These days with all the bueurecracy of EU clerks it's all about how you call things that you sell, not what they realy are.
    Adrian

26. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Blog Entries

=============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce