Thread: feedback eliminator

i ran across this sabine feedback eliminator in a catalog.
    does anyone use one? and if so do they work? louder is better sometimes.

I use a Behringer "Shark" DSP110 feedback eliminator for my flute microphone. I have only started using this a few months ago, but i like it. Before that, it would very often happen that my flute microphone would feedback on the second or third songs in a gig, and then the sound person would just cut it off.

With the DSP110, you don't get feedback. Period. It's easy to use (the default settings work fine) and has a few other nice-to-have things (preamp, direct box, phantom power). The "delay" function is useless, and i haven't figured out a good way to use the compressor or gate yet.

My only problem with this unit is that i wish it would reset itself automatically. I usually reset it manually two or three times in a gig.

Another thing you can do with this unit is to put it in the monitor path, if the feedback you're getting is from your monitors. This way you may be able to take care of the whole band with just one unit.

For less than $100, it's a great thing to have.

Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

We use a Sabine FBX, works great. Super easy to use and has Phantom power to boot. We go to alot of different locations and mostly just plug our mike into their system. The Sabine makes it much easier. We tried a Shark but never could get it to work right. It may have been defective.

I had one of the DSP110 units a year or so back but was not all that impressed with it. I really disliked the auto mode because if you let a note ring for an extended period it would think it found feedback and proceed to cut that frequency. After a few songs your tone would totally stink as several frequencies were cut. It may have a place but for me I found a good parametric EQ a much better tool for the job.

I haven't had this problem with the DSP110. You may have to tweak the sensitivity parameter. But i wish the thing reset itself from time to time, because when all the filters are on, it takes a lot of the tone away. I reset it manually 4 or 5 times during a gig.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

<bump>

I had a bad experience over the past weekend (see New Twist on the Mic Issue thread) with my sound system, which has prompted me to start thinking about feedback suppression. #Now how exactly do these devices work, do you need one for each microphone or for the system as whole?

I'm using a single Audio Technica 4033 for vocals and three Shure SM-57's for guitar, banjo and mandolin. #All of these are run on a Behringer 1604 mixer and two JBL 15" EON Powered speakers.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

as I read the [behrenger]specs: DSP 110 is 1 for each mic, includes a phantom power source,
    the DSP 1124 is a 2 channel rack unit, no phantom, and would go in the signal path as an insert to filter the 2 master outs , R/L or mains /monitors .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mandroid @ May 09 2005, 18:13)
    The DSP 1124 is a 2 channel #rack #unit, no phantom, and would go in the signal path as an insert #to filter the 2 #master outs , R/L or mains /monitors .
    By that do you mean that the unit connects between the mixer and speakers?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Pete and all,
    I use a couple of Sabines in my rack system. I have and am using the Graphi-Q2. It's a stereo dual one third EQ and feedback eliminator. It has a lot of other features including compression, speaker delay etc; but I very rarely use those features.

What I like about Sabine over say Behringer is that Sabine you can set the filters after you ring out the system. What I found with the Behringer is that if you have a long note, like a fiddle, or a tremelo on a mandolin, or a voice, the unit sees it as a feedback and cuts that note or frequency. Problem is that is cut so much that by the end of the set, you need to re ring the system, or start over, and that's a pain.

The Sabine can be set up to run a microphone or the whole system. I use the left side of the Q2 for the mains and the right side for monitors. Have another one in the rack in case I need two more monitor systems that are descrete.

They make a small one called the SBX Solo that is just perfect for single mike systems. It has phantom power so you can plug your 4033 into and run it on anybody's system plus it has 8 to 10 filters that will give you an extra 7 or 8 DB of headroom for you mike. It has one roving filter that will pick up a random feedback frequency while you're playing. They list for $349 and I see them around for $290. You set your tone controls for the mike, turn it up, adjust your EQ if you have one, then engage the filters until you hear feedback. The SBX will grab the first frequency and then as you turn it up again, it will grab the next one and so on. They are great!! Holler if you need more information. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

[QUOTE] By that do you mean that the unit connects between the mixer and speakers?

It [either brand's 2 channel] is line level in and out , so one way to hook it up is between the mixer and separate power amp, BUT, there is in many mixers an effects 'INSERT' function in the design .
    signal takes a bypass [send] thru other gear, external to the mixer, and then the effects [return] re introduces the modified signal back into the mixer. send and return have level controls.
    scenic sonic detour.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

If it's a non powered board, you can connect the SBX or the Graphi-Q2 after the board and after the EQ if it's not built in. You can use the SBX before the board from the mike. If it's a powered board, you can use the send-return or post EQ send. Kenc
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon