Thread: Any love for the AC Mando?

Default Any love for the AC Mando?

Maybe it's just me, but I just love the design of the Gibson Century of Progress (AC) mandolin. However, I've never played one or heard one so is there any love for this model? How do they sound compared to a mid-30s A or equivalent?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC mando.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	129653

Name:	1934 AC and A50 mandos.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	129654
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Default Re: Any love for the AC Mando?

Here's a good write-up and pics on the A-Century, from the National Music Museum (Vermilion SD) website.

It's a flat-back, not carved like most other Gibson A-models, other than the A-00 that was introduced about the same time. Gibson was making few A-models in the early 1930's (I believe only the A-00, A-1, A-4 and A-50 round-hole), and it was the Depression, so there aren't a lot of contemporary mandolins for comparison.

The main thing Gibson did with its Century of Progress mandolins and guitars, was go wild with the Pearloid on fretboard and headstock. Matter of taste: you like "mother of toilet seat" plastic, or you don't.

I know you know (more than I!) about Gibson history and the background of the A-Century. Here's a YouTube clip of someone playing one:

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

hank 

This one came into the shop for a set up. The current owner got it from her grandmother, who got it new and played it in a group, but quit playing in the group when she got married, so it was literally under the bed until last year. From the factory order number and the info in Span's book, it appears to be the first one made.
    Now for my impression:
    I'm not crazy about the design or it's execution, and to me, the sound is thin and weak. My impression is that the flat back isn't working very well with the arched top, and I think a carved Gibson A sounds better in general.

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	129659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	129660

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    ...I'm not crazy about the design or it's execution, and to me, the sound is thin and weak. My impression is that the flat back isn't working very well with the arched top, and I think a carved Gibson A sounds better in general.
    But John, it does have all that mother-of-toilet-seat on the fretboard. That has to make it sound better doesn't it????
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Just imagine what it would sound like without all the MOTS!

8. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I've never played one, but sure is pretty.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    This one came into the shop for a set up. The current owner got it from her grandmother, who got it new and played it in a group, but quit playing in the group when she got married, so it was literally under the bed until last year. From the factory order number and the info in Span's book, it appears to be the first one made.
    Now for my impression:
    I'm not crazy about the design or it's execution, and to me, the sound is thin and weak. My impression is that the flat back isn't working very well with the arched top, and I think a carved Gibson A sounds better in general.

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	129659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	129660
    Helpful feedback, John. Perhaps the bling was an early attempt to try and compensate for the strategic reduction in quality?

I've never heard or played one of these but imagined them as part of the slow '30s descent: carved top, flat back leads to flat top / flat back KM11s and to pressed KM21s. And then slowly back up when they changed the neck angle on the Kalamazoos. I think they sound good. Well, relatively good. I haven't confused my KZoos with my '10s oval hole but man, they are a pleasure to play.

I have a super weird '30s Sicilian mandola from the the era with a canted top and a carved maple back. Gibson was on Catania's radar even then.

'30s Gibsons are real interesting to me, even if the quality is sometimes sketchioso and uneven. Paul (and Mike) have been great fonts of info for me on these. Fellow travelers.

I think of this as a really fascinating period in Mando History as the company was coping with economic downturns, shifts in musical tastes, perhaps an exhausted market which was still in a pre-Monroe stage. They kept designing and redesigning mandolins. How cool was that?

Keep that smokestack standing!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Well, the story I heard was Gibson had been using the MOTS on the Kel Kroydon guitars and banjos and did some kind of promotional deal with DuPont, who made the material they called Pyralin. They built and exhibited the Century models at the 1932-33 World's Fair in Chicago. I don't know if they were meant to be purely "promotional" instruments or they just didn't sell, because Gibson discontinued them after about 3 years.

Gibson did list a Kel Kroydon mandolin model KK-21 on one of their price lists, none of which have ever turned up or appeared in any known catalog. My theory is they were probably like the KK-3 guitar with MOTS fingerboards and headstock veneer. Maybe they inspired the AC, but who knows.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Love the look of the century Gibsons. Would love to see a photo of all the different ones together.
    Did the F-style model have a flat back too?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	129711

At one time I had an L-75 century guitar, the archtop guitar model of the centuries. A very rare instrument. It was also the only Gibson guitar I could never really bond with. Every time I saw it I wanted to like it, every time I picked it up that wasn't the case.

Phil

Norman Blake has a matched Century guitar and mandolin in his collection. It was in a Fretboard Journal some years ago. He only keeps things that sound good, but then again he can probably make anything sound good.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Here are all the Century models that I know of. I've never seen a Century F-style mando, and don't believe Gibson ever made one.

From left to right: LC, a one of kind Roy Smeck Century, L-75 Century, and the AC mando

Name:	All Century models montage.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	129717

There was also an earlier version of the L-75 Century with the short stubby Kalamazoo KG-11 body. It only appeared in a 1933 Gibson pocket catalog and are extremely rare.

Name:	1933 L-75 Century KG-11 body.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	129718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L-75 Century KG-11 body.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	129719

And I almost forgot that they also made a 12-fret Hawaiian version of the LC flat-top guitar.

Name:	LC 12-fret Hawaiian.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	129720

Paul,
    As far as an F-style Century goes look three posts up. I believe that one is in the collection of Buzzy at Lark Street Music in NJ and is the only one I have ever seen.

The earlier version of the L-75 century you have pictured is the same model I had.

Name:	century.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	129726

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Norman Blake has a matched Century guitar and mandolin in his collection. It was in a Fretboard Journal some years ago. He only keeps things that sound good, but then again he can probably make anything sound good.
    I have run across a couple of Century model mandolins and guitars and was also disappointed but some people have the knack to get the sound out of things. I have had a couple of LG0's over the years and to my thinking they could easily be the worst guitar that Gibson ever made. The other day on TV I saw Sierra Hull playing guitar and she was playing an LG0 and it sounded just fine! I think Gibson was struggling during that period along with the rest of the world. If art deco was what people wanted maybe if you make one people will come! The style was very popular in architecture,graphics and glassware,and I would imagine a "theme" at the exhibition but never really got picked up by the masses.
    I was unaware that there was such a thing as a Century model F style until just now!

That picture was so dark, I missed the F-style Century mando. I guess we'll call it an "FC". Gibson never cataloged this one, and it never appeared on any price list so I'm thinking that it might be a proto-type or custom order.

There is a Facebook group for L-Century owners.

I have a 1935 L-Century guitar. Like the other small Gibson guitars of that era it is built very light and sounds much louder and better than it should. I had played an A-C mandolin many years ago but was not enamored back then. I have not played one recently.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    There is a Facebook group for L-Century owners.

I have a 1935 L-Century guitar. Like the other small Gibson guitars of that era it is built very light and sounds much louder and better than it should. I had played an A-C mandolin many years ago but was not enamored back then. I have not played one recently.
    FWIW, my estimation of Gibson flat top guitars from the 30s is significantly higher than my estimation of their 30s mandolins, in general. It would not surprise me if I liked the L-C better than the A-C, but I haven't spent any time with an L-C. I've only seen a few of them.

Hey, John, come on over sometime. My favorite go-to guitar is a 1939 L-00 and second is that aforementioned L-C. Plays very nicely with earlier Gibson mandolins -- prob more my favorites than the 1930s or 1940s mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have one that belonged to my grandfather, Barry of Bulldog mandolins did some repairs for me. I have been playing it almost daily for about a year now. Sounds great, and plays great. I am amazed at how well it stays in tune too. It is my only mandolin at the moment. It is very loud. It was great to see the video of one too, thanks for the post.

Does anyone have an audio of the 2005 mandolin tasting referred to in an older tread about the century mandolin? They say it was a good one.