Thread: Mandobird VIII question and help

Default Mandobird VIII question and help

My brother bought for me in a music store in Caracas, Venezuela, a new Mandobird VIII. I bought too the Almuse MB8L pickup, following the recommendations in this forum (it has the E string weak issue), an electric guitar technician will install it next week.

I need to change the strings, and I think to use these gauges: 10, 14, 24, 36, after reading some post comments about it here.

I really appreciate any advice about the string gauges, it is the first time I use an electric instrument.

Thanks, Jairo

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Re: Mandobird VIII question and help

Hi Jairo, If you use D`Addario electric guitar strings, those gauges will give perfect intonation with the compensated bar tailpiece but an important thing to note.....you need to get a nice low playing action.
    Best way is to remove the neck (same thing applies to Mandocaster clones) and shim the neck so it tilts back a little more. Around 1mm is usually adequate so a thin strip (or maybe two) of wood veneer tucked in to the end of the neck cavity and secured by some thick double sided adhesive carpet tape should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfarmer Pete View Post
    Hi Jairo, If you use D`Addario electric guitar strings, those gauges will give perfect intonation with the compensated bar tailpiece but an important thing to note.....you need to get a nice low playing action.
    Best way is to remove the neck (same thing applies to Mandocaster clones) and shim the neck so it tilts back a little more. Around 1mm is usually adequate so a thin strip (or maybe two) of wood veneer tucked in to the end of the neck cavity and secured by some thick double sided adhesive carpet tape should do the trick.
    I may have to give that neck shim thing a try--or get someone to do it for me--I do get a free set p with the mando--within the first year.
    Thanks.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Weak E is a common output issue the pitch tension and string mass conspire

String , thin, doesn't move far (Amplitude).. so in the magnetic field it wont make a big electron pulse .

If you can raise the E end of the pickup to be really close, It May Help.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture