Thread: Capo for Tenor Guitar

Default Capo for Tenor Guitar

I tried using my Kyser Quick Change capo on my tenor guitar, but it pulls the strings out of tune. It's also kind of big and bulky for the small neck of the tenor. What capos do people typically use for a tenor guitar? Does anyone have any experience using a Planet Waves NS Banjo/Mandolin capo on a tenor guitar ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...20capo&index=6 )? It looks like it might get the job done.

Default Re: Capo for Tenor Guitar

For tenor guitar, I use the Paige banjo/mandolin capo - wide.
    It is designed to fit above the 5th fret on 5-string banjos.
    It works well for tenor guitar and octave mandolins.
    The regular Paige banjo/mandolin capo fits the first 4 frets of a 5-string banjo and isn't wide enough for tenor guitar.

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

I've used a Paige type capo years back but I went to the Shubb banjo capo as it seems less prone to chewing up the side of the neck and is much easier to put on, take off and adjust than the Paige. This one http://elderly.com/accessories/items/C5BR.htm is for a curved fret board but they do offer flat surface and a few finishes at Elderly. Lately I've only used it when doing some fretboard work or restringing. It also takes up a lot less room in the neck box in the case.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

For all stringed instruments, it is important that the curvature of the fingerboard fit the curvature of the capo. Then put the capo in the place where those two curves match best.
    Last edited by Pete Martin; Dec-30-2014 at 7:33pm.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Yes,by all means get one! It is the smallest, most light weight, reliable capo I have ever tried.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I use Shubb, Elliot banjo too, but for price/performance there's nothing that touches the Planet Waves NS Capo Lite. I hack saw it down to overhang less, sand it smooth. Like others have said, make sure you get one that matches curve of your fretboard. Planet waves has flat and curved versions.

I own several different capos - but the planet waves mando/ banjo pro capo is the the 'go to' tool in my box.

I also like the G7 very much....

Moistly,

MdJ

At the suggestion of my teacher I bought the planet waves capo. I use it for both my mandolin and tenor guitar. No problem with either going out of tune. As others have said it weighs next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Stewart View Post
    I tried using my Kyser Quick Change capo on my tenor guitar, but it pulls the strings out of tune. It's also kind of big and bulky for the small neck of the tenor. What capos do people typically use for a tenor guitar? Does anyone have any experience using a Planet Waves NS Banjo/Mandolin capo on a tenor guitar ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...20capo&index=6 )? It looks like it might get the job done.
    Yes - I've recently started using this model on my tenor guitar and tenor banjo and despite it looking way to small when it arrived, I find it works great and is very unobtrusive as well as being very easy to put on and set up.

I just received my Planet Waves NS Banjo/Mandolin capo. This capo is perfect for my tenor guitar! At the fifth fret it is basically the same width as the fretboard. I wasn't sure if it would hold down the first string, but it did just fine. It's so small I don't even know it's there, and I can dial in the right amount of pressure to fret the strings without bending them out of tune. It also seems like a well built, quality piece of hardware. Highly recommended for someone looking for a tenor guitar capo.