Thread: Anyone Tried These New Strings?

I've gotten into the rut of using only one type string set (DAddario J74s) for a long time. I've seen these srings (DAddario EXP77, JS74 & LaBella MF10 and ) recently advertised and just wondering if anyone has tried them out. If so, what are your impressions?

Cheers,
    brian
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

One set that i tried and liked was Elyxir. They're coated. I like how they felt under the fingers, and they seemed to last longer than a non-coated set. I also liked the sound.

If you want something totally different, try the T-I flatwounds. Mandohack was making some noise about a LaBella flatwound set, but i don't know if they're already available or not. The flatwounds are definitely nice under the fingers, and they seem to cut down the unwanted sympathetic vibrations on open strings.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

I use the JS74 now and love them. I tend to corrode bronze and p bronze REALLY quickly. The steel string lasts way longer. And they do not sound as bright as bronze, which is also a plus in my book. But they have the same feel as the j74's. They are no TI's, but they are a fraction of the price. I also have a set of the labella flatwounds MF20's (wound A string) on their way to me at the moment. They were like half the price of TI's, I will let you know how they compare.
    Phyn

I, too, have switched to JS74 for the same reason phynie states. I'm trying to find out if the bronze is what eats my callouses or the steel in the unwound strings. In any case I find the wound JS74's to be a bit sharper at first, meaning the strings feel a bit more abrasive. Don't know if they'll work down the frets faster or not... Perhaps the stainless steel windings aren't as soft as the bronze? Gone through a couple sets and my callouses are still funky. Maybe it's just me. I actually like the tone of the JS74 over J74, and although the guages are the same, the tension is less on the wound strings, which is barely noticeable (if at all).

I did try the TI Starks and they are the best feeling and playing strings ever, but they're just too soft sounding for my F5. I love them on my '21 Gibson A, though. The EXP74's didn't do it for me, either. The coating felt funny.

So, there you have it. It's a fun adventure and maybe one day I'll settle on something.

Today I'm enjoying the ride.
    Best,
    Ken

Edit: I forgot to mention that until trying JS74's a couple months ago I used J74's exclusively for at least 5 years.

Less talk, more pick.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Glauber, I'm intentionally laying low on the Labella, as I hope to make a formal announcement very soon about the new JazzMando JM11 Labella Flatwound Mandolin strings. I'm expecting my first shipment very soon. (Hoping to take a boatload to Mandofest with me next week...)
    Imagine the Thomastik TI's with a little more "bell-like" tone, and at about 60% of the price.
    These aren't a "poor man's" TIs. They are an entirely different string altogether, designed for jazz, swing, Choro, and classical. You'll be hearing more here on on my website.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

ted, you sparked my interest with that post...
    please let us know more info when you get it. I am dying to try these strings.
    Are we talking a wound A?
    Phyn

As long as we're discussing new strings, has anyone tried the 'Firewire' mando strings? Their guitar strings have gotten some positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandohack @ Mar. 31 2005, 20:47)
    Glauber, I'm intentionally laying low on the Labella, as I hope to make a formal announcement very soon about the new JazzMando JM11 Labella Flatwound Mandolin strings. I'm expecting my first shipment very soon. (Hoping to take a boatload to Mandofest with me next week...)
    Imagine the Thomastik TI's with a little more "bell-like" tone, and at about 60% of the price.
    These aren't a "poor man's" TIs. They are an entirely different string altogether, designed for jazz, swing, Choro, and classical. You'll be hearing more here on on my website.
    Wooohooo! Poor man TIs!

I mean... not really poor, but middle-class, kinda.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

I was looking at the their website and I can't see what the difference is between EXP74 and EXP77. The specs appear identical. I've had the EXP75s on since December and they are still hanging in there, J74s would have faded away long ago. I found the JS74s to be too thin and buzzy sounding for my instrument.

Hi Guys,
    I have the new LaBella MF20 strings in stock, and yes they are comparable if not a clone to the Thomastik flatwounds. They do have a wound "A' string. The fellow that helped develop them- Ken Wise, was looking to do just that- have a string like the TI's that's not quite as expensive. He plays mandolin and worked with LaBella to develop these new strings. The guages are .10,.20,.26,.33. Ken tells me not to compare the guages in the typical way to other strings, these are based more on the tension. The MF20's are comparable to a Med. string There is another set- MF10 which does not have the wound "A" string. Guages are .11,.15.24,.33. I only have the MF20's right now
    I am offering these here to fellow co-mandos at $17.95 shipped, as an introductory price- so we can all try them out. Better yet- if you don't like them- send them back !!!Personally I have switched from J-74's to TI's Med ( mittel) and love them. I have yet to try on a set of the new LaBella, but will be this wkend. If you are interested in a set contact me at info@musicgrowshere.com
    Teri- The Music Tree
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In developing the JazzMando set with LaBella, I bought up several sets of the MF10 (have some for sale BTW) and tried the MF20. I like the feel and gauging of the MF10 much better, as they were comparable to the 154M TIs, but the G string (.031) just wasn't quite meaty enough. We landed on a .033 which feels just about right. The A string is not wound, a plain .015, but it's healthy enough for me...
    I struggled with the MF20, that .026 D and the wound .020 A string about did me in. Too much metal for me and after about three hours of playing, I gave up.
    The JM11s are shipping to me Monday, and will be available at Mandofest. I'll be listing them in the Classifieds (where we really should be doing transactions) and on my website.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I Just put on a set of the LaBella Flatwound MF20's on my F5-Cole. The tone and feel is very good, I would say the wound "A" is a heavier feel than the "A" in the TI- Med. However it does not bother me, in fact a regular wire "A" string seems to cut into my fingers harder than the wound strings. the LaBella's also seem to be a bit brighter and have more volume than the TI's. And yes,I just listed these in the classified for sale, but this is my honest opinion on these strings, if I didn't think they were any good I'd say so. Stay tuned for Ken Wise, the developer of the Labella Flatwounds to give more info here on the cafe.
    Teri/The Music Tree
    info@musicgrowshere.com
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Ken, the difference is that the EXP 77's are 80/20 bronze wound and the 74's and 75's are both phosphor bronze.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Is 80/20 brighter sounding?

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

I put my first set of flat-wound strings on my mando yesterday. These are the flatwound set of J-74's with the wound A string. Prior I had been using Elixir's. I liked the Elixirs, and how they lasted, but I dont know if they make a flatwound set with a wound A. After this batch of FT74s are used up I will find out if Elixir makes a Flattop with a wound A. If so I will give them a try. ONe thing is for sure: I will always use flatwound strings with a wound A from now on. The music I play (mostly THile) features so many slides that the wound strings feel like silk under my fingertips.
    Stephanie
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Yes the 80/20's are brighter sounding.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Thanks, I think I'll try the EXP77s next although I was very happy with the EXP75s.