Thread: uneven frets in radial fretboard

Default uneven frets in radial fretboard

I'm new to the board, and have only been playing for about a year and a half (I played guitar long ago). I just bought a Kratzer Bulldog F-shape, and I like the sound of it, but on the E-string at the 14th fret (F#) and the 15th (G), the frets are so low that I'm playing a G# on all three. I know that hand-made mandolins have eccentricities, but is there anything that I can do to even out the frets? There are other uneven frets, but they aren't so much trouble.

Thanks.

Default Re: uneven frets in radial fretboard

Unless you have experience doing that kind of work it would be best to take it to a repair luthier, preferably one with mandolin experience. That is not the quirkiness of a handmade instrument. Something is wrong and can be fixed. It might be as simple as a setup but a good repairman can tell you.

3. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

qvole 

First, I would check to see if one of the frets has popped up on the end, which can easily be tapped back down. Otherwise, it sounds like a high fret, which needs to be filed down.

Check the neck to see if it is straight. Otherwise, adjust the truss rod. The frets might need leveling, which is a simple procedure that a luthier can do and should improve your overall enjoyment.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

Take it to someone (a repairman) who is good with frets. A novice working on uneven frets without fully understanding the problem and solutions can easily open a can of worms.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

First off - Is the mandolin 'new' or 'used' ?. Also it's a good idea to state where you live - that helps the guys in the US (or 'wherever') to recommend a good luthier for you. If it was a brand new instrument,then the advice would be to return it to Barry Kratzer - but it sounds like you bought it 'used' - in which case, in order to advise on a good luthier ''in your area'' - where do you live ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

+1 on what Ivan says. If you bought it new, contact the builder. If you bought it used, it would be best to take it to a luthier in your area with mandolin experience.

FWIW, I think you have already misdiagnosed the problem, which kind of proves John’s point about novices trying to solve a problem like this. As Jeff says, it’s probably not that your 14th and 15th rets are too low, it’s that you’re 16th fret is too high. And if you are only experiencing that on the E course, it really sounds to me like your fret end has come loose and popped up. Press on the fret end with a wooden dowel and watch carefully for movement. It’s pretty easy to see if you know what you’re looking for. In my experience, if you tap it back down, it will eventually spring back up again. An experienced repair person knows how to wick some water thin CA glue into the slot to keep that from happening. But I would caution anyone against doing that themselves. It’s hard to contain CA and if it goes somewhere it’s not supposed to it makes a dandy mess. Don’t ask me how I know that.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

11. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

qvole 

Thanks to all who replied (and the mandolin is used, not new). I wasn't going to try to fix the problem myself, but I wanted to get an idea of what the problem might be. I live in Huntsville, Texas, which is about 70 miles north of Houston. Do any of you know any good luthiers in this area?

Thanks again for the replies.

I have one more question, which will further reveal how much of a novice I am. Heretofore, I have only played mandolins with flat fretboards. This one has a radial fretboard and I am finding it much more difficult to play bar chords on the instrument. Is that a result of my incompetence or is that a normal situation?

Cheers,
    Ken

(Doug) Clark A style no. 51
    Eastman 504
    Kratzer Bulldog F style no. 60

Welcome to the Cafe’! You’ll get lots of good information here.

I don’t know what style you play, but I have very rarely heard of using barre chords on mandolin. It’s much more common to see folks use four finger chords instead. Maybe that’s because the frets are much closer together than on a guitar.

Your Eastman does not have a flat fretboard. It’s fretboard is a 12” radius. Radius fretboards are getting more and more popular on mandolins these days. If you really want to make a barre, seems to me all you would have to do is curve the index finger slightly. But I’m not understanding why you find such a difference between the Bulldog and the Eastman, unless the difference you are feeling is actually fret size. The Eastman has relatively tiny .053 frets, and I don’t know for sure but I bet Barry uses the more modern .080 “banjo” frets. I am not familiar with Doug Clark’s mandolins, so I can’t comment on his specs.

Sorry I can’t help you out with luthier recommendations, but I’m certain others here will.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

14. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

qvole 

It’s a bit of a drive but if you could get to Austin I’m sure the good folks at Fiddler’s Green Music Shop would take good care of you.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

16. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

qvole 

Quote Originally Posted by qvole View Post
    ...This one has a radial fretboard and I am finding it much more difficult to play bar chords on the instrument. Is that a result of my incompetence or is that a normal situation?
    I would classify that as normal. Most people prefer arched 'boards and find it easier to form bar chords on them, but that doesn't mean everyone feels that way. I have a friend who greatly prefers a flat 'board and wishes he could get a guitar with a flat 'board. (Of course, I reminded him that he could have a guitar made for him with a flat 'board.)
    Another thing:
    If your mandoin has fret problems, and it apparently does, fixing that will make it easier to play, and that might include bar chords.

18. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

qvole 

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    It’s a bit of a drive but if you could get to Austin I’m sure the good folks at Fiddler’s Green Music Shop would take good care of you.
    +1
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Thanks for the replies. I just had a friend who plays the guitar come over and look at it. He told me that he thinks that I need to take it to a luthier to get the frets looked after. I have fairly serious vision problems, and I could feel that something wasn't quite right, but couldn't really see it very well. I'm happy to hear that it likely just needs the attention of a good luthier.

It is possible that a good setup will also solve your barre chord issue. If your action is too high, barre chords will be difficult. With a proper setup, you may find that your left hand has an easier time with all of your playing, not just barre chords.

As for flat or radius boards, there are lots of threads on the Cafe debating which is better. i don't think a clear answer exists. i have both and can switch back and forth without an issue. Sometimes I can convince myself I must have one or the other, but in truth, I don't find it makes all that much difference.

Good luck! You are learning to play a really fun and versatile instrument, and this online community can be a big help. The Cafe is also a lot of fun!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

22. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

qvole 

Thanks for your advise. I found a luthier in Houston who builds and repairs mandolins and guitars. He adjusted the truss rod and evened out the frets, and it sounds great now. As I noted in my other comments, I'm still very much a novice (that is, I often don't really know what I'm talking about) and so I can only go on how it sounds and feels, but I'm very satisfied. I apologize for the misspelling of 'barre', and I can only say that the guy that I'm taking lessons from is a guitar player first and foremost, and that's probably why I'm getting the barre chords.

Had I known you had a problem , I would have fixed it for you...all you would of had to pay was shipping....but all that said , I'm happy that it got straightened out...happy trails

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barry k For This Useful Post: