Thread: 5 string question

Default 5 string question

I have wanted a five string, thinking a moongazer, but here is the question, what exactly does one do with the fifth string, I know, kinda silly question, also, if one is playing a trad song, does the fifth string help or hinder? How does one incorporate it. What are some good resources to study? I look forward to to the forums response, cheers, Brett

Default Re: 5 string question

You play the fifth string when you want notes in that range! Chords or single notes. It is fun to have that range, go ahead and use it.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Once you get used to it you find it hard to play without it.
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Lindsay View Post
    Once you get used to it you find it hard to play without it.
    What Colin said.
    Last edited by F-2 Dave; Dec-06-2014 at 12:16pm.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

A few things that a 5 string helps,
    most tune it to C which I play a lot of guitar notation and to be able to play the guitar low E or sometimes D some metal bands use a low C so you can play it without transposing it. To me thats the best reason.

I have a friend that loves the chords it adds and the sounds of them. Most trad music it would depend on how used to it if it would hinder or help, i was teaching a friend mandolin, he was a quick learner and practice a lot, he wanted to try a 5 string he gave it a good afford but couldn't , not sure why.

I play a 5 string i only my om i don't have a regular 5 string right now i sold the last one i made, new one is half way done can't wait

I say yes buy one moongazer has some nice mandos, good luck

I am going to make a 6 string that will be turned f c g d a e it will be a lot of fun, but it wont get built until late 2015
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

It is most useful for giving a lower voicing for chords and melodic back up ie- cross picking arpeggios . in your case any trad song you know in G can easily be played in C just by pretending the C string is the G string . A to D or D to G or E to A etc... are also possible by using the C string as the G .

you will find chording possibly a challenge either muting the C string or E string or expanding to 5 note chord shapes

I remember having a conversation with Tiny Moore about how he played his 5-string. Generally for chording/comping he would use the lower 3 or 4 strings and for melody would use the upper 4. That didn't mean that ne never played melody on the low string but is sort of a jazz guitar approach in terms of comping. It makes a lot of sense that you would want more of the bass lines and the lower range for that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thanks for the responses, I'm gonna go for it!

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I'm thinking two-finger chords is the simplest, most "elegant" way to go. Barre chords to cover a three-string span can work too. It's easy to move all over the fret board and add lead. Adding that low string opens up all sorts of fun possibilities.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Choice of chord voicing should really be dictated by what best serves the song being played in the ensemble playing it , minus your ability to use all the various chord voicings . IMO

Nifty thing : 3 string chords .. the IV, I and V are neighbors on the same fret.

middle 234 the root .

CGDA lets you use Tenor banjo and Viola charts

GDAE Violin scores can be used.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture