Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new solid body is a piece of garbage

BTW Mike, you have my sympathy, and I think this guy does push the ethical limits on his auction descriptions, or does at least in your case. I believe I found what appears to be your auction, and his auction text indicated that the instrument "needed some setup work", but IMHO, a new fretboard and frets -- or even a new neck for that matter -- goes beyond the realm of setups and ventures into the territory of "rebuilds".

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Quote Originally Posted by (delsbrother @ April 05 2005, 12:35)
    Is this the bulldog guy?
    I don't know who the bulldog guy is.

But as long as we're talking about dogs, I have 75 pound pit bull that's absolutely the sweetest friendliest most loving dog I've ever known. Pits have a bad reputation because they are so strong, when you get a vicious one, they are dangerous. But Petey has never known anything but love and affection and positive reinforcement ever since the day we got him, so he is a loving and affectionate pet.

Even people who are afraid of dogs love him.

Quote Originally Posted by (Pedal Steel Mike @ April 05 2005, 17:09)
    I don't know who the bulldog guy is.
    There used to be a guy on eBay selling all kinds of... stuff... Including those Galvestons. He always added a picture at the bottom of his auctions: himself, his wife, and his bulldog (I think it was a bulldog) standing inside his music store. Can't remember his name, and for all I know he may be a fine and upstanding dealer. Just thought it was a funny picture.

ps I think it was his wife..

I thought I'd mention that I took the mandolin to 2 different well known repair shops (McCabes, and Carruthers) and got written extimates on what it would take to make the thing playable. McCabes said $800, and Carruthers said between $750 and $1,000.

I turned the whole mess over to the FBI's internet fraud division. I doubt that I'll get my money back, but I might be able to stop this character from doing the same thing to anybody else.

wow! ... guess you're serious. please let us know what happens.

i'm in sympathy with ebay dealers who put a piece of junk out there with a terse yet strictly accurate description of the object and leave it up to the buyer to decide. but those who dabble in superlatives to sell their dodgey goods ("awesome" - particularly when paired with "dude" - i find especially irritating) deserve to have their knuckles rapped.

- bill

The seller has agreed to take back the mandolin in trade for other merchandise. I told him I want 6 sets of Jim Dunlop straplocks. I don't know whether or not he can get them. If he can't we'll have to work out something else.

But at least the lines of communication are open.

To be continued.....

Quote Originally Posted by (Pedal Steel Mike @ April 22 2005, 04:18)
    McCabes said $800, and Carruthers said between $750 and $1,000.
    Considering you could get very nice handmade emandos for that kind of dough, I'm glad you didn't take them up on it!