Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tuning of the Greek bouzouki?

Default Re: tuning of the Greek bouzouki?

Me and my bouzouki will eventually start a band playing traditional Ruritanian folk music. Maybe I'll never play Irish music or Gypsy music or Greek music "right," but no one will be able to prove I'm doing Ruritanian music wrong.

2. The following members say thank you to JPL for this post:

if it's any comfort to the trichordia rebels I tune my tetrachordo, adad, to get the drone..

that old zouk is wild. I would also love to try it. it really looks old and unusual.

Resurrecting an old thread...I'm on vacation with my wife in Greece and Italy, celebrating our 25th. Saw a fantastic bouzouki player in Santorini who sounded like he could pick up a mandolin and play with any old time or bluegrass band in the world. I have some brief videos I'll post when I get home. When we got to Athens, my wife forced me to buy a bouzouki when we happened upon a music shop. I'm really looking forward to getting back home and figuring this baby out!

5. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread...I'm on vacation with my wife in Greece and Italy, celebrating our 25th. Saw a fantastic bouzouki player in Santorini who sounded like he could pick up a mandolin and play with any old time or bluegrass band in the world. I have some brief videos I'll post when I get home. When we got to Athens, my wife forced me to buy a bouzouki when we happened upon a music shop. I'm really looking forward to getting back home and figuring this baby out!
    Leaving aside the fact that I've always thought Santorini looks like one of the most beautiful human habitations on the planet, and congrats on your lovely trip...your WIFE...forced you...to buy a bouzouki???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	envy-meter.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	158607
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Anderson For This Useful Post:

my wife forced me to buy a bouzouki when we happened upon a music shop. I'm really looking forward to getting back home and figuring this baby out!
    3 or 4 course?

Great!

Yep, she forced me. We walked by a music store and she saw my eye drift to the bouzoukis inside and she said "let's go look" and it went from there. She knows I'm a penny-pincher and she insisted every time I tried to walk out of there. She said "in 20 years we won't know whether we spent that money or not, but if we buy it you'll get a lot of joy." I'm the luckiest guy on earth.

It's 4 course. I know the 3 course is more authentic, or at least older, but I figured the 4 course would be more flexible and more familiar.

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

It's 4 course. I know the 3 course is more authentic, or at least older, but I figured the 4 course would be more flexible and more familiar.
    Well, yes and no.

The 3 course is older and is going through a new period of popularity with the last decade or so's rebetika revival.

However for laika, syrtaki, etc. the 4 course is the preferred instrument and when I was learning in the 1970's that's what all the "professionals" used.

Frankly most playing is on the top two D and A strings anyway!

Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zookster View Post
    It's a little known fact that some Greeks settled near Asheville NC in the late 1700s, and that the bouzouki had a large influence on the early old time music that evolved there.

Unfortunately no pictures exist of any of the early musicians, and those early instruments are locked in a vault in the Greek Orthodox Church in downtown Asheville.

A movement has started to reinstate the bouzouki to it's rightful place in old time music
    I thought it was 100%, undisputable and Gospel fact that the Irish invented the bouzouki? I've been threatened with death, emasculation and the curse of bl**dy Saint Patrick for ever daring to suggest otherwise, by players who are about twenty years old and therefore know from personal experience.

Takes tongue out of cheek and runs away very fast.....
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

13. The following members say thank you to Colin Lindsay for this post:

derbex