Thread: David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

Acoustic Oasis has released new tracks and alternate takes from the last recorded sessions of Jethro Burns with Don Stiernberg on guitar combining it into a three CD collection entitled Jethro Burns Legacy. We sat down with David Grisman and Don Stiernberg to get the inside story on the last recorded music from one of the great legends of the mandolin.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewsFetcher For This Useful Post:

Default Re: David Grisman and Don Stiernberg Discuss Jethro Burns Legacy

I enjoy seeing the honor and respect given to Jethro, and the importance of making sure his music and mandolin contributions are never lost. The part of interview that stands out to me was........." He was doing this just for the love of the music and his wanting to impart his wisdom about the mandolin to future generations. It was like a gift from him. I would hope people take that into account when they listen to it. "

How awesome is that?

"Tears" was one of the tunes Jethro taught me during my lessons with him back in 1978-79.

Love the photo's of Jethro, never without a smile on his face.
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Got my Jethro download. So great to have more Jethro, alternates & non-released trax. He is my favorite & was my 1st teacher.

"Tea for One" coming? Great. I still have my vinyl, but hope there will be outtakes & extras. I still got my "Jethro Live" & "Jethro Burns" Studio vinyl. I hope to see those on CD with extras some day.

Enjoyed reading Dawg & Donnie talking about the "legend". He really was generous with his time & knowledge. He brought laughter & great Mandolin Music to the world.

I'm glad I went to him for lessons. It changed my life. I'm 63 & still playing. I thank him for getting me started.

Joe B

Blog Entries

As a student of Jethro's I am very deeply moved by this article. The influence that Jethro had on me is undeniable. And right now I am unconsolable! Thank you Jethro, Don Stiernberg, and David Grisman! peace, Dave "SkipDog" Andersen

So very awesome, this whole Jethro legacy thing.

And there's more to come. Be on the lookout for the Deluxe Edition of Tea for One

Wow!

Thanks to Dawg, Don, Mandolin Cafe and mostly, to Jethro!

Scott, a lovely article.

I have been blessed to know Jethro through his, now deceased, brother Aitchie. Sitting alone with Jethro and his mandolin in 1982 (for about an hour) was just an amazing experience. Jethro was a straight talker and funny as anyone I've ever met. I'll never forget that experience.
    ..... f5joe

If I had to name the three musicians who have most influenced my playing, I would pick Jethro Burns, Don Stiernberg, and David Grisman. And here they all are! Great article, Scott. And I highly recommend the new Acoustic Oasis collection. Even if you have the two CD's, the sound here is a big improvement. And the extra disc plus the outtakes make it a must-have. Plus you get to hear Jethro introduce the song Humoresque as "Humorous Q".
    Last edited by mandolinfox; Oct-09-2014 at 9:17am. Reason: misspelling
    1987 Flatiron A-5 Artist "Woody"
    2003 Weber Gallatin F "Phaedrus"
    1921 Gibson A-2 "Lily"

Great article. "little thin Fender teardrop picks." Interesting.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

I have recently started learning mandolin and learned of Jethro Burns. I have been googling him as I am interested in learning how he learned mandolin. I was wondering if he learned as part of a mando orchestra which were popular in the 20s and 30s, or from private lessons, or took lessons on another instrument and transferred that musical training to teach himself the mandolin. However, I can't find any info on his early life, except that he teamed up on the vaudeville circuit at the age of 16 to become part of the Jethro and Homer act with another 16 year old musician. Any info, or web link anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jethro was born in northern Georgia then moved to Knoxville TN very early on(age 3). I think he said he started mandolin when he was 5. His father was a tap dancer and comedian, all his brothers played music. Pretty sure he taught himself mandolin. He did have some lessons on guitar, including learning to read music. In reference to that experience he mentioned the tune "Nola" which he later played frequently on mandolin. Homer and Jethro actually met up at age 12(!). They were disqualified from a talent show sponsored by the local radio station because they sounded too good jamming in the tent. Their consolation prize was being hired by the station as studio musicians! By age 16 there was a band, The String Dusters, including H and J, a bass player(Jethro's brother) and another guitarist. This band played the music of the day(swing jazz)and region("hoedowns"). Homer and Jethro began as a way of "breaking up all the pickin'"...In his Mel Bay book Jethro said "Little Brown Jug" was one of the first tunes he learned.His father got him his first good mandolin( Gibson)a few years after he started. Perhaps teaching himself was frustrating as he said later.."somewhere in Knoxville there's a tree with a mandolin wrapped around it". I think his only orchestral experience may have been playing guitar in a U.S. Army jazz big band after serving 10 months of front line duty in the Fiji Islands in WW II. His ears(musically speaking)were huge, his hands and memory literally huge but also quick. He had no trouble absorbing the ideas of his heroes (Django Reinhardt, Oscar Moore of the Nat King Cole Trio, Count Basie,...) and bringing that language of jazz to the mandolin.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

And that is why this place is the best. Thanks Don.

Thanks for that info, don! Much appreciated.

Jethro made a cassette for me in chord melody style of tunes like "Slow Boat To China", "The Band Played On", etc. which supplemented the tapes that went with his Mel Bay books. I think Ken Eidson deserves a round of applause for what he did with Jethro.
    David Herman

Blog Entries

On the anniversary of Jethro's passing, hard to beat this feature interview with David Grisman and Don Stiernberg about Jethro's last recordings released on Acoustic Disc.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

===========

I was in between Cafe memberships when this was first posted, so THANK YOU for bringing it back!

Teacher, repair person

Saw Jethro put on a concert here in a high school gym during the '80's with Red Rector. Man, those guys could play. And they had the audience in stitches. One of the backing musicians was Norman Blake. For some reason, though, they gave the young fellow who played the other guitar absolute hell.

Is there an update to Tea For One release? This is something I'll ask Don this summer at Alan Bibey's 3rd annual mandolin camp

http://alanbibey.com/mandolin-camp-registration/

23. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post: