Thread: looking for beginner jams in Richmond, Va.

Default looking for beginner jams in Richmond, Va.

Hi, Dan Thompson here, formerly dtb, now dant on this site. From southside Va. near Danville, Now living here in North Chesterfield, and wondering if'in there are some beginner jams around. Although I was a fairly advanced picker a major stroke in 2006, has reduced me to finding a way to play with just my right hand. and although it's not traditional, it has allowed me to stay close to the music and instrument that I have loved for more than 30 years. My wife and I are both retired, and sorta downsized our lives moving here to Richmond plus being close to family here. I also have a space that I believe can be a nice little jam space. looking to meet fellow pickers, jammers, or whatever. anyone wanting to connect with email, phone#s can pm me here.

Good day to you all,

Dan

Default Re: looking for beginner jams in Richmond, Va.

You are inspiring that in spite of your limitations, you still strive to stay involved with making music and share with other musician.

Have you thought of a keyboard instrument? Perhaps a small accordion?
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Jahnke Road Baptist Church: Second Tuesday.
    Rockwood Nature Center: Fourth Tuesday.

The first jam usually includes a couple of bluegrass jams, a gospel jam and an old-time jam.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    You are inspiring that in spite of your limitations, you still strive to stay involved with making music and share with other musician.

Have you thought of a keyboard instrument? Perhaps a small accordion?
    thanks Mr. E and yes changing instruments is normally one of the first recommended solutions, but it may be my hardheaded ways, I was and have been determined to stick with my mandos. around 2010 I was making my way towards being able to make two fingered chords with some success, but found I couldn't change fast enough to keep up with the folks I jammed with in SoBo, which caused all kinds of mental problems, as well as physical regarding my left hand with pain. Then a couple years ago I started something new. While sitting in my music space listening to music(something I do most every day) with a mando on a stand next to me. If I heard a tune that sounded like it was in G I would just pluck the G string and if it was in tune I started just chopping in open tuning(standard) and it sounded pretty good so that's where I am at this time. If you have time I put a tune in the social group music thread that Scott started.

thanks for replying,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    Jahnke Road Baptist Church: Second Tuesday.
    Rockwood Nature Center: Fourth Tuesday.

The first jam usually includes a couple of bluegrass jams, a gospel jam and an old-time jam.

f-d
    Hey thanks Mr. Dad, may be a while before I check these out, we are still settleing in here. We live near the end of Jahnke where it meets Buford in the Bon Air Area. Plus I tend to drink beer when I'm listening to music/ and or playing. And I realize that some folks may not be down with that, and I am one not to make waves. Also a lot of folks will not understand my disability and my way of playing, which will always be one of the things I'll miss the most from our old home.

thanks,
    Dan

I understand wanting to stay with mandolin, play and participate at whatever level you are capable of. Again, an inspiration to all of us. Music is therapy and anything that pushes you, inspires YOU, is wonderful. Keep on plucking and strumming.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

thanks, E, always nice to get any encouragement. And yes, when I'm chopping on the mando I'm the most happy.

Dan

MandoBum

There is a lunchtime jam every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at the Chester library from 12 - 1 pm downtown Chester, VA. They play from the parking lot pickers songbook. All skill levels are welcome.