Thread: 23 vs 21 inch

Default 23 vs 21 inch

Howdy. I have read a lot of reviews on the café and it seems most prefer the blueridge tenors for entry level prices.. Any (HUGE) difference in playability and sound for the 40,60 and 70? Also, other than ease of playability, and big differences between the 23 inch scale and a 21? If so, any recommendations for a 21 inch entry level guitar??

THANKS!

Mark

Default Re: 23 vs 21 inch

http://kalabrand.com/Models/Guitars/...ageKA-GTR.html

The Kala is due out any day now. Late Sept is what I was told. Short scale, sounds good on the video and looks great. Approx 330 dollar street price. I'm going to get one.

21" scale is just a little easier to play for me. I prefer it, but 23" works fine for me also.

The 40, 60 and 70 Blueridges all play and sound basically the same. I personally prefer the looks of the 40.

I play a 23" and prefer it. I think you get a little more volume and tone, and in my experience tenors need all the help they can get when competing against 'real' guitars. If you're playing alone, other considerations might be more important. If you're using a 5ths tuning, I don't know if it would be that much easier to get around on a 21" versus a 23" when playing leads.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will go for the blueridge...hah, now the next challenge I face is: to pay more from elderly (100 dollars more) and (comes set up) or buy it from the always cheap musicians friend...choices choices.

CORRECTION - Only the 60T shows a huge price difference. The 40T is comparable on both sites (plus Elderly comes with a setup).

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

The blueridge is an awesome guitar but it is a real finger stretch for melody work, not a problem if you practice for a year or two but for me after a few months, I find it pretty difficult.
    However for harmony it is just superb & just sounds fantastic.
    I tune to CGDA & use a .9 for the A, I like to finger pick a lot and prefer the .9
    Anyway you can just capo up for less stretch until your fingers adapt.