Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vintage tenor guitars in the UK

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Vintage tenor guitars in the UK

I regularly check Ebay for tenor guitars, there are plenty that come up for sale but they are getting more expensive each month!
    I guess people buy them to keep so I assume they are becoming more popular & due to the demand prices are on the up!
    Certainly compared to the prices I see on American Ebay, UK prices seem about double!
    Here is an example of one that has appeared today... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harmony-TG...:SS:SS:GB:3160 that is about $630.

Default Re: Vintage tenor guitars in the UK

I sold mine for the same cost I paid for mine (an Eastwood). They sound gorgeous and it's an amazing package put together.

I just don't get on with guitar frets lol. Yes - I think I've seen more women rockers front with tenor guitars in the past month than I've seen tenor guitars all my life!

I saw a locale band just two nights ago & they had a tenor guitar mixed in with a CGDA banjo, never seen a tenor guitar on stage before! I do live on a small island & that probably makes it even more unlikely .
    I also notice Amazon UK has quite a few new models for sale, I don't think they had one for sale 8-9 years ago.

I blame Seth Lakeman.

Wow, that is a lot to spend on a Harmony. Are people actually paying that price?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

It is crazy Charles, we have seen modern two year old guitars sell for a few £ less than a new one.
    Whether that one will go at that price will have to see....

The problem with anything vintage in the UK is that there is a far smaller pool of instruments available, and to bring in an instrument from the US you end up paying VAT at 20%, duty at about 4%, and the cost of shipping. The Harmony in the listing might be far higher than in the States, but by the time you add on the extras the gap will have closed a fair bit, and at least if there are issues you stand a far better chance of returning it than if dealing with a seller half way round the world.

I've imported probably 60-70% of my vintage instruments from the US, but mainly because of lack of availability of good examples of the instruments I tend to be after. If there's one I can try locally I'll happily pay a bit more for the privilege of playing it first and knowing it's a good one.

Mind you there are some expensive ones in the US http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-D-Angel...:SS:SS:GB:3160

Well the first one went for an undisclosed sum but we have another one today... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harmony-H1...item2ed61dca90

...I don't know, but I assumed due to strengthening UK economy, the exchange rate now works in our favour, so US imported goods seem much better value comparatively before evening up the odds for taxes etc.

As it is, I'm slowly learning the difference between 'antique' instruments vs 'vintage' instruments vs 'retro instruments.

I've worked out I'll stay away from all retro instruments (just not authentic!), and away from all vintage authentic ones (just not in my lowly price range!) and stay away from antique ones (broken neck; warped body, toothless frets, woodworm ewwww!).

Thankfully we have a lot of really extremely impressive modern builders to get us away from those awful commercial manufactured problems (I say this, as I am typing on my Apple keyboard whose space bar sometimes jams down and runs for miles on my screen...)

Sometimes, I think we should breathe life into a new instrument by supporting the living niche makers and not the dead

Blog Entries

Just a FYI I saw a TG50 in a guitar shop in London that went for just over £600. Considering its age & good condition it looked like a fair price. If I wasnt trying to save for a mandolin I'd have been tempted to raid the funds.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

It's not just Seth Lakeman's fault. Though it's probably mostly his fault. That Eliza Carthy has been sporting one hasn't she? Then Neko Case, Ani Difranco...
    I'm hoping to use my tenor more as my "solo Badger" stage set. Currently I've got it tuned GDBD which is kind of cool and easy work out lots of chords in G or D

But to keep in with the thread - I would LOVE an archtop...
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

I would love another vintage archtop too.
    From what I have read, there are not many highly rated models out there and apart from the harmony archtop you are looking at quite high prices for what can only be described as reasonable players.
    I am still waiting for my custom archtop to be built, should be soon but it is 4 weeks behind schedule already and it has been 9 months since I placed the order.

This guy has some splendid guitars for sale including a lovely looking tenor... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sianoates/...p2047675.l2562

I have been watching this one! the guy got a bit upset about the low offers and has re listed his guitar with a buy it now price! ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Probably-S...:SS:SS:GB:3160

Well, what the heck. He doesn't even seem to know who the builder is. He's asking a lot of coin for an unknown guitar.

19. The following members say thank you to cargomaster for this post:

fox 

It has been re listed for an even higher price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Probably-S...:SS:SS:GB:3160

Looks great -but I am a bit dubious about what's going on behind those f holes, looks a bit as though the top has been doubled, or rebraced.

24. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

fox 

Look pretty grim to me but they do seem to fetch quite a lot of money even it that poor condition in the UK!
    Mine had sunken f holes as well but it was still in better nick than that one, I paid £200 & then spent an age rebuilding it,
    By all accounts they don't play very well in standard form & it certainly took me a lot of effort to get mine playing at a reasonable. level...... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...Harmony-guitar

If I did not own so many instruments I would be very interested in this one... not vintage but nice!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Maho...:SS:SS:GB:3160

Please stop doing that -at some point I'm going to give in and the wrath of SWAMBO will be upon my head

Also tempted by this Eastwood

28. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

fox