Thread: Mandolin choice

Default Mandolin choice

Hi. I am learning to play the mandolin. Been taking lessons for 11 months. I started out with a Fender A mando and quickly knew that I wanted a better quality instrument. I found a Nashville Flatiron and have been somewhat satisfied. My instructor has a Sam Bush Gibson which sounds fantastic. I have been contemplating a Weber Fern or a Collings MF-5V. I really like the woody tone of the Gibson but don't/can't swing $10k for it. Since I don't have a local store to try the Weber or Collings, what would your opinions be between the two that I mentioned. Would either of them sound anything like the Gibson? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Mandolin choice

IMO your flatiron will sound more like a gibson than a collings or (especially) a weber.

Collings are more strident (not in a bad way) and webers are much sweeter and softer.

I personally think you should hold onto your flatiron until you can get a gibson, since that's what you really want.

There's really not much you can buy that will sound like a gibson, until you get way up there in price range. At the point you might as well have just bought a gibson
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Fiddlers green has a used bush that they claim is the best they've had for 5500.

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.co....SwWhn2nB.dpbs

Correction now $5200. Appears to have a speed neck tho. Reputable shop.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    IMO your flatiron will sound more like a gibson than a collings or (especially) a weber.

Collings are more strident (not in a bad way) and webers are much sweeter and softer.

I personally think you should hold onto your flatiron until you can get a gibson, since that's what you really want.

There's really not much you can buy that will sound like a gibson, until you get way up there in price range. At the point you might as well have just bought a gibson
    +1...and may I add that your Flatiron Festival F IS a Gibson F5G in Flatiron name only; they're the same mando. You might want to consider discriminating between different eras of Gibsons to find what you're looking for in tone: Bozeman Gibsons (1988-1998), Derrington Gibsons (1998-2005), Harvey Gibsons (2006?-Present)...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

If you have a Nashville Flatiron - that is a Gibson. They were essentially cosmetic variants of the Gibson models and were made in the same plant, by the same people, at the same time. As with any other Gibson from various periods, there is variability from one to another, however. I have heard some superb sounding Flatirons - especially from the 2000-2001 period. If you want a 'modern' Gibson at a fair price, try to find an F-9. Every one I've heard has been great.

Datanick & I were typing at the same time. Great minds think alike
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

7. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Startin' out pretty high-end for a newbie there, eh?

I recommend a NUGGET to match your user name! Can't go wrong there IMO
    EDIT- Actually, a Nugget Ajr might be cheaper than a Collings MF-5V by a couple thousand dollars, and in that case, I certainly would recommend the NUGGET!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Startin' out pretty high-end for a newbie there, eh?
    starting out high end is a great idea imo, it really helps to keep you interested, and i swear it makes you work harder and strive to be better.

I think the problem is the OP doesnt realize how good of a mandolin he has. Flatirons are spectacular especially Nashville made ones. Sure you may think your instructors mandolin is better, but remember, hes probably a better player than you.

Have you tried playing his sam bush? or has he played your mandolin?

Have you let your instructor play your Flatiron and listen to him playing it? Mandos can sound quite different (i.e., better) when you are listening from in front rather than behind (playing), and they can also sound quite different when someone more experienced is playing them. If you haven't done this yet, you may be surprised how much your Flatiron sounds like your instructor's Gibson. As everyone else said here, your Flatiron is a heck of a mandolin in itself.
    J Bovier A5
    Shawnee Creek A-9 style
    Blue Chip/Wegen picks, Tone Guard
    K&K Twin Spot
    Mando pedalboard: Behringer ADI21 preamp, Boss CS-2 Compressor, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plawren53202 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Fiddlers green has a used bush that they claim is the best they've had for 5500.
    I played that one briefly yesterday. It is a nice mandolin, but didn't have as woody a sound as I would have thought. Still, I'd call it a good buy if you like the Sam Bush features.

You have already made a significant advancement in mando quality and sound quality and I believe you should stick to what you now have until you have gotten the most from your Flatiron that it has to give. That will likely take a couple of years.

Of course it is your money to spend so who am i to say??? But already you are way beyond most of us in instrument quality and I simply doubt that at this point you have discovered its potential.

15. The following members say thank you to bart mcneil for this post:

sgrexa 

There are a good number of small builders who make very fine instruments for a good deal less than a Gibson, but if you are determined to have the "Gibson" on the headstock, I understand. You can, however, find an instrument of the same quality for $2000 to $4000, especially if you go with a used instrument.
    Try, for example, June mandolins, made by Walter Johnson in N. Carolina.http://junemandolinsandguitars.com/ His F's are a great value and have had some excellent reviews from professional players.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Have you tried playing his sam bush? or has he played your mandolin?
    It is always a good to have a good picker play your mandolin
    1) you get an idea of the instrument's potentials
    2) you can hear it from the audience's position - big difference especially with ff hole instruments
    3) I use to tell my mandolin afterwards: "Remember this and do the same when I play you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bauzl View Post
    (3) I use to tell my mandolin afterwards: "Remember this and do the same when I play you!"
    Genius! I've been wasting so much time trying to teach myself to play mandolin! I should really be teaching my mandolin to play mandolin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongBlackVeil For This Useful Post:

Petrussgrexa 

As often happens, the OP seems to have disappeared, ignoring all advice in some MAS induced form of madness. My guess is his new mandolin is en route.

Sean

21. The following members say thank you to sgrexa for this post: