Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tenor ukulele tuned in fifth ?

Default tenor ukulele tuned in fifth ?

I have a tenor ukulele, very good sounding (all solid wood). Since I did not play ukulele that much, yesterday, I tune it as F C G D (two half steps lower than mandolin), using the D/G/B/E nylon strings of a guitar. From this point, I can play all the mandolin tunes I used to play (with or without a cape at fret#2).

I am wondering if there are better (nylon) string set for 17-inch scale and what notes they should be tuned to ?

Default Re: tenor ukulele tuned in fifth ?

Aquila makes a GDAE nylon mandolin set that works on a 15 inch scale uke-telecaster-thing I built for my kids. I believe each set comes with eight strings, so you effectively get two sets in each pack. You could try tuning it up to GDAE, but you'll probably need to tune it to CGDA (mandola) on a 17" scale tenor.

I use AQUILA 31U CONCERT UKE SET - NYLGUT, FIFTHS TUNING - Tuned to CGDA, bass to treb, two wound strings for (tenor) mandola tuning on 17 inch scale ukuleles. My four & eight string tenors sound really nice with these. (nfi)

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I am looking for.
    Now, I figure that the soprano ukulele's scale length is much closer to the mandolin's.

I'd also like to try Uke tuned in fifths. I just can't get my head around standard Uke tuning because it is too weird for me not to have all the notes go from low to high as you move across the strings. My musical brain is just too linear I guess.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Just surf back through the threads, there are more post about tuning ukes than you can shake a stick at!

I could not play a whole lot of songs with ukulele tuning (high G) !!! With tuning in fifth (like mandolin / mandola), I can play my entire mandolin repertoire (and virtually any tune I know of, including tremolo). The sound is warmer due to nylon strings and louder due to the larger body of the tenor ukulele (compared to mandolins which I have two).

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

I have all five of my ukes (one a tenor) tuned GDAE. The easiest way to do it is one of two ways, both starting with a standard ukulele GCEA set of strings already packaged for that size ukulele. Recommend getting a string set which has a low-G string (rather than the reentrant high-G string).

1. Leave the low-G as-is, up-tune the C to D, swap the E and A strings around. This will give you G3-D4-A4-E4 which will allow you to use your "regular" GDAE chording. The E will be an octave lower than you are used to, but sounds good on the smaller-bodied uke.

2. All of the above, except replace the E with 20-lb monofilament nylon fishing line. This will tune to E5 rather than E4 if you want true "fifths" tuning. The 20-lb line has the tensile strength to handle the stress without popping.

Would recommend using the wound low-G string, as it will be a narrower diameter than an unwound low-G string. The uke nut will most likely be sized for a high-G (very thin) string, and you'll find it necessary to re-size the G slot to accommodate the wider low-G.

If you decide to leave a high-G string in place instead of using a low-G, the sound will be different, somewhat higher overall in pitch. It's an "ear" thing and no right or wrong way to set it up, but I prefer the low-G sound.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

9. The following members say thank you to Steve Zawacki for this post:

I am glad that many folks tune ukes in fifth for various reason, I only though about it two days ago. Intend to bring it (and one guitar) to this Sunday picnic as my mandolins will not sound loud enough near the beach.

The uke nut will most likely be sized for a high-G (very thin) string, and you'll find it necessary to re-size the G slot to accommodate the wider low-G.
    My tenor uke has the zero fret as I intentionally built it this way, to avoid all kind of nut issues. So the nut slots are simply to seperate the strings, the slots are filed wide to handle low-G and high-G of course is OK.
    If the E string is one octave lower than intended than playing melody would sound weird for most songs.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I am glad that many folks tune ukes in fifth for various reason, I only though about it two days ago. Intend to bring it (and one guitar) to this Sunday picnic as my mandolins will not sound loud enough near the beach.

My tenor uke has the zero fret as I intentionally built it this way, to avoid all kind of nut issues. So the nut slots are simply to seperate the strings, the slots are filed wide to handle low-G and high-G of course is OK.
    If the E string is one octave lower than intended than playing melody would sound weird for most songs.
    Not at all. It's sound is basically no different than a uke with the standard uke GCEA tuning, the exception being the C had been slightly upped to D. Otherwise, how the song sounds when played by a uke using low-G GCEA is pretty much the same. Think of it as "GDEA" instead of GCEA and the A and E strings transposed.

The real difference on a uke is when the E4 string has been swapped put to the E5 that a mandolin uses. To me, on a uke the sound is a little tinny and thin. Keeping the E4 string in a smaller-resonator instrument takes advantage of what the instrument was designed to project. E5 is a very high note and can come out really weak and screechy on a uke. The G4 high-G string is about as high as most ukes can project well - E5 is really pushing the envelope, except maybe with a baritone uke.

I have tried E5 on all of my ukes and discarded it on all of them in favor of the E4. Three of these ukes also are amplified (a RISA Solid Soprano, a Lanikai Concert and a Lanikai Tenor), and the difference really comes out through the amp.

Also, if you decide to try the Aquila 5ths GDAE uke string package, take care in installing the E string as it's meant for smaller-scaled ukes than tenor. That Aquila E string is mighty thin. Have had a couple snap during installation which had me go to the 20-lb test alternative which works through tenor scale. The Aquila compound doesn't take rapid stretching well, so taking it to B or at most C for a day, letting it stabilize there, and then g e n t l y bringing into E5 gives the best hope of not having it snap. Once it settles in at E5 it seems to endure well on smaller-scaled ukes.

Don't get me wrong - I like the E5 sound. My only grief is that there are really few reliable uke E5 alternatives out there, and none for tenor except the 20-lb test alternative that I've found. Am always interested in trying something which won't snap easily and give a half-decent spund representation.

One more thing. Aquila's GDAE package is for Soprano-scaled ukes. Aquila's fifths package for the larger Concert ukes is CGDA. The CGDA package may stretch to tenor, and maybe not. That's why I tried adapting strings already cut for tenor-scale.
    Last edited by Steve Zawacki; Aug-16-2014 at 9:45am.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

Not at all. It's sound is basically no different than a uke with the standard uke GCEA tuning
    I agree on this when playing chord, as long as the same notes ring, regardless which strings they came from. What I meant is the melody part.
    For example when one tries to play C5 D5 E5 , but hears C5 D5 E4 instead. That's a different melody.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I agree on this when playing chord, as long as the same notes ring, regardless which strings they came from. What I meant is the melody part.
    For example when one tries to play C5 D5 E5 , but hears C5 D5 E4 instead. That's a different melody.
    Agree. I hope you find a better solution to the E5 string selection problem on a tenor uke than I have. The 20-lb test has an "okay" sound, but that's about all.
    ...Steve

I indicated in my first post that I simply use the D G B E strings of a nylon guitar, and after a few trial/error I found that tuning them as D A E B produce the best sounding for my tenor ukulele: all 4 strings have balanced sound.
    I believe the string set posted in post#3 link will produce a better alternative, I have to order one set later.

I've had the Aquila 31U CGDA Concert set. Did not try it on a tenor uke. Did use the GDA from that set on a concert uke with the 20-lb E and it was okay.
    ...Steve

Hmm... I am looking at 8 strings (4 courses, double string each) tenor ukulele. If tuned in fifth with proper string set, it will play like a mandola / mandolin with nylon strings. I need to sell off some from my collection to buy one of these (and mainly to keep my instrument collection small).

I have an Oscar Schmidt OU28T tuned CGDA with 2 of the Aquila 31U sets. I am quite pleased by the sound of this inexpensive ukulele turned mandola. Available from around $100 online. (nfi)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USM-OU28T_side.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	122804

18. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

fox 

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
    I have an Oscar Schmidt OU28T tuned CGDA with 2 of the Aquila 31U sets. I am quite pleased by the sound of this inexpensive ukulele turned mandola. Available from around $100 online. (nfi)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USM-OU28T_side.jpg 
Views:	926 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	122804
    Very interesting...... Do you happen to have a sound sample?
    ...Steve

Sorry, I don't have one. It sounds the best to me when played with a medium guitar flat pick.

Well, all this discussion got me to rip my ukes apart. After a morning of experimentation, stringing/restringing, tuning/retuning and such, the following totally unscientific conclusions have resulted:

1. Tenor Ukulele - retuned my tenor to G3-D4-A4-E5. The strings are a set of standard tenor GCEA (low-G) with the G used as-is, the C tuned up to D, the E tossed out and the A used as-is, and the 20-lb test E5 installed. It sounds fine and I'll keep this set-up for a while. Strung this way, it's true Fifths and has the physical comfort to play like a small tenor guitar.

2. Concert Ukukele - took my remaining Aquila 30U GDAE for soprano ukes and installed them on a Concert Uke. The E was brought into tune v e r y g e n t l y to keep it from snapping (paranoia from past bad experiences here). Even with the increased scale length over soprano ukes the Aquilas have held (fingers crossed, but it does look okay). So, here's an even smaller tenor guitar-like instrument.

3. Soprano Ukulele - try as I may, I can not get an E5 string to sound worth a darn. Tried it on two different sopranos (a Flea pineapple and a RISA Solid). The E5 is tinny, harsh and just painful to me. Went back to an E4 string and the soprano sounds pleasant to the ears as G3-D4-A4-E4.

Conclusions - The Tenor and Concert Ukuleles can be comfortably adapted to G3-D4-A4-E5 and played similar to tenor guitars (or mandolins). The sound is "higher" due to the smaller resonator size and scale, but quite acceptable.

- For travel purposes, the Concert Ukulele can become a half-decent travel instrument where hauling a full-sized tenor guitar may not be possible. If the Concert Ukulele is something like the Lanikai LQA-CCA which is an acoustic-electric equipped with a Fishman pickup/preamp, traveling with it may have its advantages.

- The Soprano Ukuleles are not willing "sound-quality" partners to an E5 string. The E4 is the natural partner to the small size and scale Soprano. Whichever string is chosen and for whatever reasons it's chosen, the Soprano Ukulele at GDAE (E4 or E5) can be an ultra-small travel instrument which fits into any carryon bag (very true about the RISA).

- The Aquila 30U (GDAE Soprano) and 31U (CGDA Concert) are more adaptable than marketed, but installation takes a gentle hand. Once stabilized, they can be treated as any nylon strings are. There are also ways to use low-G GCEA Tenor, Concert and Soprano strings coupled with an E5 using 20lb test monofilament/fluorocarbon/other fishing line, and the availability of these strings/line over special-order Aquilas has its advantages.

I need to stop reading this board, as it always gets me inso some kind of project........
    ...Steve

22. The following members say thank you to Steve Zawacki for this post:

Jacob 

Hi Jacob,
    I am glad knowing that this has been done (8 string ukulele tuned as mandola).

How are you picking the strings? Fingers, fingernails, flat picks, ...?

I have a baritone ukulele strung with the 31U set and tuned GDAE and the strings are really bouncy. I use a pick, just like when I play the mandolin, but I have a hard time keeping the strings from buzzing against the pick. I'm sure there is some problem with my technique, but I don't have this problem with my steel stringed instruments.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have a harmony soprano ukulele that i never play.i will have to change the tuning maybe i will play it more
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
    How are you picking the strings? Fingers, fingernails, flat picks, ...?

I have a baritone ukulele strung with the 31U set and tuned GDAE and the strings are really bouncy. I use a pick, just like when I play the mandolin, but I have a hard time keeping the strings from buzzing against the pick. I'm sure there is some problem with my technique, but I don't have this problem with my steel stringed instruments.
    i thumb-strum/pick and use a flat medium pick.

Are you using all four strings from the Aquila 31U set and tuned up to GDAE, or are you using just the GDA strings(throwing the C away) and a substitute E5 from some other source (e.g., a low-G classical guitar string uptuned)? The second arrangement should eliminate the bounce.
    ...Steve

I have been using all four of the 31U strings. I'll see about swapping out that low one. They are all a bit bouncy for me, but that G is like a bungie cord. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
    I have been using all four of the 31U strings. I'll see about swapping out that low one. They are all a bit bouncy for me, but that G is like a bungie cord. Thanks.
    Well, the Aquila 31U is a CGDA set, not a GDAE. If you are tuning this set GDAE, then the C is most likely being tuned 4 full notes low (as are the other strings) and that would make them bouncy. If you are tuning them on the high side, then the A string would be extremely tight and at the edge of snapping.

The GDA of the CGDA set should tune taut for their respective keys. That's why I toss out the C, shift everything over one slot and add an E5.
    ...Steve