Thread: Omaha, NE - New Mando Player looking for inspiration & others.

Default Omaha, NE - New Mando Player looking for inspiration & others.

Hi All,

I just bought my beater Mando about 1 month ago... so i'm super green. Got the two finger G,C & D about down. Thinking of bringing it into a luthier cause my D sounds a bit flat, but hey who am I to judge. =) Anyways I'm looking for some inspiration in Omaha to help me learn a few things and eventually sit in with like minded people who won't mind my newbness. My goal is just to be able to play with others around a camp fire. I have no plans of being the next Bill Monroe. I LOVE bluegrass and have been going to festivals since I was a wee gal.

Should I wait a bit before I visit a jam session? OR should I just jump right in. I'm assuming most folks will not be cruel of my lack of skill, but you never know. Thinking about taking some lessons to get me on the right path, not sure where to start there either. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Heather!

Smile Re: Omaha, NE - New Mando Player looking for inspiration & others

Hi Heather,
    My name is Britt-Marie and I am new to Omaha and mandolin, as well! I would be very interested in meeting up to help each other out as we learn- also in any other resources you may have found.
    Thanks,
    Britt-Marie

Default Re: Omaha, NE - New Mando Player looking for inspiration & others

Hey Britt-Marie and Heather! I to am in Omaha, and new-ish (it's been about a year since I bought my mandolin and I've been on and off with discipline in practicing) I would love to hear what you guys are up to. I've looked, mostly in vain, for Mando lessons here.

My email is kaitlinporter@hotmail.com, that'd be the best way to get ahold of me if either of you are interested It'd be sweet to hear your story, the mandolin music you like or maybe meet up and exchange techniques etc.

Go to Jazzmando.com and contact Ted Eschliman - he's a moderator here at the Cafe so a PM would be as good. He's based in Lincoln but he is sometimes in Omaha.

Hi Heather, Britt-Marie and Kaitlin,

My name is Dan and I have been playing mandolin in and around the Omaha area for just about 15 years.
    I play with some local players but I have found there really isn't much of a bluegrass jam session in Omaha... I have participated in a few jams over the years but it is definitely harder to find a regular group in this area then I ever expected.

Anyway I have experience playing in a variety of settings (mostly bluegrass but some old time, rock, jam) and have collected a number of resources over the years (and mandolins), if any of you feel like getting together for a jam session or if you need some beginners help I have successfully gotten at least 2 of my buddies addicted to mandolin over the years (much to the dismay of their wives). If we get something going I am sure I know a few local players who would pop in and play with us.

I am playing this weekend in Unadilla, NE at "Milkfest" on Saturday at 4pm, Acoustic Beardness - a duo with a buddy who plays guitar. And my long time guitar picking friend is the mandolin player that is playing with Cattywhampass Bluegrass on Sunday.

If you don't feel like posting here PM me.

Lets improve the Omaha mandolin scene!
    Dan
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

7. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Not quite Omaha, but my buddy I are playing Saturday evening, January 31st, at Mo Java cafe and roasting co in Lincoln, NE.

Apparently we are the "and friends" playing with the Prairie Creek Ramblers. Probably be playing several songs together as the night goes on, at practice the other night a number of bluegrass standards sounded pretty hot!

If you are in the Omaha/Lincoln area and want to see a couple hours of bluegrass, come and join us!!!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Hey, all! Getting used to a new city and colder weather has kept me occupied, but now I am ready to play some mandolin! Thanks for your replies. Hopefully we can do some meeting-up. Britt

Hey @lovisa, @dang, @eddy, @kaitlin, @Miss Read

I've just been bitten by the bug. I sing in an Irish Band, and want to add some new tones to our sound. (And also have something to do during the instrumentals!) I can play guitar and piano, so not too worried about a fast start. Also, G C D Am and F go a hell of a long way in Irish Music.

Buying a starter mandolin today, and would be delighted to meet anyone in the Omaha mandolin scene.

Any Omaha mandolin teachers you have been impressed with?

And if you dig Irish music, we have a session once a month on Sunday Nights at the Brazen Head.

Blog Entries

Omaha has a pretty active bluegrass gathering/association. Believe this is the same group a band I play in did a concert for a year or more ago. It was a really nice group of people and a huge jam broke out after we played. Great Plains Bluegrass & Old-Time Music Association

Quote Originally Posted by adbomaha View Post
    And if you dig Irish music, we have a session once a month on Sunday Nights at the Brazen Head.
    Hi, adbomaha, if your session seems like it has any legs, could you have someone list it on thesession.org? It isn't there, only two sessions that seem to have died off. Also, any particular Sunday?

I get to Omaha every now and then, and coming from Minneapolis with its plethora of playing possibilities, the Dakotas and Nebraska don't have that many options to join a jam or a session. Everytime I come to Omaha, I scour the interwebs for any bluegrass, old time, Irish, or Scottish session. So, far I've only hit one Muddy Waters fiddle slow jam over the years. That was fun, but they were preparing for a concert at a local shindig, so it was more a rehearsal than a jam. Still, the folks were friendly and it was worth the Uber out from downtown and the bus back. Annnnnd, since I picked up the bus at the Children's Hospital, that's only a 10 minute walk to the Brazen Head, so I know how to get there. It would be nifty to play some Irish tunes in Omaha.
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug