Thread: Galveston Electric Mandolin

Hi everyone! Just joined the message board a few days ago. Lots of good info here for us newbies.

Anyway, I bought a Galveston electric mandolin off of ebay, and was wondering if anyone has heard of them. It wasn't expensive, $60 with Michael Kelly gig bag and 2 sets of D'Arrio strings. I'm sure it's not US made, but should be good enough to learn on.

Never played one, but welcome to the board. Where in southern IN are you? I'm in Columbus. There is a Yank Rachell tribute jam in Indy this Sunday. I suspect there will be a fair amount of emandos there.

Is the Galveston green?

They're made in Korea, I think -- possibly China. I'm afraid you won't find too many high opinions of Galvestons here. But hey, at least you've joined the club. And if you're happy, we should be too.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thanks for the welcome.

Thistle 3585 I'm in Evansville.

Mrmando, this one is a blue sparkle burst, maple fingerboard, which I found a little strange as most have rosewood. Should get it tomorrow as it's on the UPS truck headed here.

Received the Galveston today. Definetly needs a set up. I don't possibly see how this could have been played, as the strings are a good 1/4" off the lowest frets. I tried to push them against the frets, but thought the strings would break. The bridge is non-adjustable, so I will have to either cut it down or replace it with an adjustable one. Other than those minor things the mandolin itself is neat.

Just a update on this emando. Took the bridge down .215", adjusted the pickups, reassembled. It now will play. Not the best pickups in the world that's for sure. This could be remedied with some better ones.

May design a new pickguard/pickup/ volume, tone pot holder. May install a 3 way switch for the pickups too while I have it apart again.